Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 05:02 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarcreek View Post
Thank you so much for the tip Mtnflyer! We are so excited about our trip to the Littleton area! I was curious what your experience regarding the weather during March in Littleton?
Hi sandbar - This will be our third March in Littleton. *IF* I remember correctly (and that's a big if - for me months just seem to blend together - seasons stand out more), but March can be quite changeable. Actually so far February has been very changeable - we've had days where it's been well below 0 at night, only to get to the single digits for highs, and days like yesterday where we started out below 0 and at 9 pm it was 33....right now it's 41! Tomorrow our high is supposed to be 18! The temps and the weather, especially this year, seem to fluctuate widely.

We've had snow this year, although not as much as last year. February and March can both give us storms with significant snowfall....or not The weather in Littleton really drives me crazy from a "listening to the forecast" standpoint. Neither the TV stations nor the Weather Channel seem to get it right - We've learned to just see what it's like when we get up and go from there <g>.......(the last time we were supposed to get 18-24 inches of snow, I think we got 7.......another time, when we were supposed to get 3-4 inches, we got around 10 inches) Be prepared for snow, wind and cold....also be prepared for no snow, little wind and temps in the 30-40 range.....Not much help, I know, just the reality of it. Again, *if* I remember correctly, March can be quite windy.....

The first year we moved up here, we did not have a white Christmas (2006)....but we did have a white Easter (2007)! When we moved into the house we bought, we moved during a blizzard on Valentine's Day

Expect just about anything and you'll be prepared <g>.......One nice thing up here is that we rarely get any ice storms like the central/southern parts have experienced this year. In the spring/summer/fall, we don't really get major thunderstorms, either....at least not since we've been here.

Whatever the weather, the town does an excellent job on the roads. My husband doesn't work in town - he used to work in Jefferson and now works in Whitefield - he's never had to miss a day because of snow and he's never been late because of it, either........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:50 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Default Micro Climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Hi sandbar - This will be our third March in Littleton. *IF* I remember correctly (and that's a big if - for me months just seem to blend together - seasons stand out more), but March can be quite changeable. Actually so far February has been very changeable - we've had days where it's been well below 0 at night, only to get to the single digits for highs, and days like yesterday where we started out below 0 and at 9 pm it was 33....right now it's 41! Tomorrow our high is supposed to be 18! The temps and the weather, especially this year, seem to fluctuate widely.

We've had snow this year, although not as much as last year. February and March can both give us storms with significant snowfall....or not The weather in Littleton really drives me crazy from a "listening to the forecast" standpoint. Neither the TV stations nor the Weather Channel seem to get it right - We've learned to just see what it's like when we get up and go from there <g>.......(the last time we were supposed to get 18-24 inches of snow, I think we got 7.......another time, when we were supposed to get 3-4 inches, we got around 10 inches) Be prepared for snow, wind and cold....also be prepared for no snow, little wind and temps in the 30-40 range.....Not much help, I know, just the reality of it. Again, *if* I remember correctly, March can be quite windy.....

The first year we moved up here, we did not have a white Christmas (2006)....but we did have a white Easter (2007)! When we moved into the house we bought, we moved during a blizzard on Valentine's Day

Expect just about anything and you'll be prepared <g>.......One nice thing up here is that we rarely get any ice storms like the central/southern parts have experienced this year. In the spring/summer/fall, we don't really get major thunderstorms, either....at least not since we've been here.

Whatever the weather, the town does an excellent job on the roads. My husband doesn't work in town - he used to work in Jefferson and now works in Whitefield - he's never had to miss a day because of snow and he's never been late because of it, either........
Truly there are several distinct micro climates in New Hampshire! For instance you can have very wet snow in the Conn River Valley near Hanover and have very Dry Snow up near Lancaster & Littleton! It is no way near as dry as Rocky Mountain Snow but for East Coast Snow it is Dry.

Littleton, however, even though it is nestled in the White Mountains very rarely has any significant transportation problems. This is at least what I have been hearing whereas sometimes Heniker will be buried way too long before the plows start running!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:58 PM

141 posts, read 282,543 times
Smile Thank you Dare!

Quote:

I really appreciate everyone's feedback about Littleton! We are very excited about visiting this wonderful part of our country! Especially thank you to Dare, MtnFlyer, Comet and Lisa! Hope we can all meet some day!

Old 02-09-2009, 05:12 PM

274 posts, read 952,493 times
Quote:
I really appreciate everyone's feedback about Littleton! We are very excited about visiting this wonderful part of our country! Especially thank you to Dare, MtnFlyer, Comet and Lisa! Hope we can all meet some day!
I'll be looking forward to it Sanbar. I can't wait to hear about your trip. Please don't keep us in suspense.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
thank y ou so much Dare, Mtnflyer and Grimstuff!

We did book reservations there and look forward to being in Littleton during March!

Dare or MtnFlyer will there still be snow on the ground in March up in Littleton?

thanks everyone!
Hey Sandbar - Check this link - saw the discussion tonight on the public access channel in town Home

Old 02-12-2009, 12:08 PM

Cool Did you see a Ghost!?!?!?!

Quote:
Hey Sandbar - Check this link - saw the discussion tonight on the public access channel in town Home
Dare! You know, I could very well believe there would be lots of ghosts up in that part of the woods! I mean there is so much history up there and I would imagine lots of very old spooky homes?????

Old 02-12-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Dare! You know, I could very well believe there would be lots of ghosts up in that part of the woods! I mean there is so much history up there and I would imagine lots of very old spooky homes?????
Yep, there are! The farmhouse we rented had "guests" - interesting time we spent there.....I wish I had known about this paranormal group then, I would have called on them to come check it out Our "guests" were not malicious - they liked to play with the lights, windows, TV and once sat on the bed at night .... and the dog and cat were always getting "spooked" by them (no pun intended).

I do know of 1 person who had a very unpleasant encounter with a spirit in a rental - they left the rental quickly....heard about another who had one named "Fred"....at least I think that was his name......

Old 02-14-2009, 09:08 AM

Talking Sugar Hill, North Woodstock, Bethlehem & Henniker

Quote:
Yep, there are! The farmhouse we rented had "guests" - interesting time we spent there.....I wish I had known about this paranormal group then, I would have called on them to come check it out Our "guests" were not malicious - they liked to play with the lights, windows, TV and once sat on the bed at night .... and the dog and cat were always getting "spooked" by them (no pun intended).

I do know of 1 person who had a very unpleasant encounter with a spirit in a rental - they left the rental quickly....heard about another who had one named "Fred"....at least I think that was his name......
Dare!!! I think we are leading into what some have described as a potential Poltergeist in some areas of New Hampshire!

My wife and I can personally attest that in Henniker there definitely is something very spooky going on. We looked at a 230 year old home that was for sale, not to far from New England College, and it was truly very spooky. The real estate lady would not give us a straight answer on whether this property as haunted and just smirked when we posed that question several times.

Also North Woodstock has several store owners who claim during the evening Ghosts rule their stores!!!!:eek :

I do not know about Sugar Hill but I hope Sandbarcreek is a GhOst friendly person!!!!!

Old 02-14-2009, 10:44 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
There's a house in New Ipswich, built around 1830?, that has had a long standing problem of not being able to be sold or kept for very long at any time. One person wrote about having put an offer on it, and while they were outside during the home inspection, the HI suddenly came striding out of the house looking straight ahead, got into his truck and never would return the couples emails or phone calls! All reports say that at the very least there was a bad cold spot in the living room that was very unfriendly.

Apparently, the house has recently been sold (again) and the new owner is doing quite a bit to fix it up! I hear it's the longest the house has been actively owned in years. (I made sure to find out exactly where the house was, so as not to ever try to be interested in it myself )

Old 02-14-2009, 11:18 AM

Comet and Wanna - Had our "guests" been of the "nasty" or "evil" variety, we never would have stayed in the rental. However, we found that by talking to them, letting them know we knew they were there, and basically telling them to knock it off, they did stop their nonsense

The house with "Fred" was one that was going to go on the market and as the realtor was taking down info, one if the kids asked the father if "Fred" was moving with them - the realtor asked who "Fred" was and the father told them. As far as I know, the realtor disclosed to potential buyers the possibility of "Fred" staying with the house; since "Fred" was friendly, it did not deter the sale of the house

Halloween was funny in the rental - no one came to trick or treat - we heard later that the "locals" had heard someone was thrown down the well and haunted the place outside, so no one came near it on Halloween
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire