Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 05:01 PM

19 posts, read 54,351 times

Advertisements

Without getting anyone too excitable, just wondering what the politics are like in different parts of New Hampshire and how important they are in the different counties and communities. Where I live in Mass now its is completely down the middle, this is just pure curiosity. I hope to move to Southern NH in the near future. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 04:46 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,977,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cait12350 View Post
Without getting anyone too excitable, just wondering what the politics are like in different parts of New Hampshire and how important they are in the different counties and communities. Where I live in Mass now its is completely down the middle, this is just pure curiosity. I hope to move to Southern NH in the near future. Thanks!
All/most of these numbers are posted someplace by the state. I think that each town can/does post the number of registered Republicans, Democrats, Independents, etc.

Guessing here. But probably similar to the rest of the country. Cites going one way. Suburban areas mixed.
Rural areas going another way. There is always exceptions of course.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:57 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times
Post The average New Hampshire legislator represents about 3K adult citizens

Quote:
Originally Posted by cait12350 View Post
Being a small state where our only real national power is our "first in the nation" presidential primary, most people I know are much more interested in local politics than in national politics.

With short terms in office and a low ratio of residents per house member, we're very much into representative democracy. I'm already planning to fund efforts to oust my new state rep because I object to the obvious legislative agenda (as demonstrated by bills sponsored).

I'd run for office myself, except my clients expect me to be available to work on Wednesdays.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:15 AM

31 posts, read 24,063 times
NH definitely has a libertarian vibe if you're not from here. I've never seen so many people see taxation as a bad thing until I moved here.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:41 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,717,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl1156 View Post
NH definitely has a libertarian vibe if you're not from here. I've never seen so many people see taxation as a bad thing until I moved here.
That's because many residents know all too well how the minute you add or create a new tax on something, pretty soon the same politicians will be hitting you up again. This is exactly what has happened in my state of CT, and it's why so many residents have left, and I may do the same. The state constantly dreams up new items to tax and ways to make it appear justifiable, and no amount of money they get is ever enough. Our politicians love priding themselves on staying out of people's bedrooms, they now need to learn to keep their hands out of our wallets. New Hampshire does a fine job of staying out of both, and it shows.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:16 PM

5,947 posts, read 2,869,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl1156 View Post
It is bad. We had a revolution over it.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:57 PM

725 posts, read 804,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
It is bad. We had a revolution over it.
Hopefully another again. When the majority of people in 35-40 states want something completely different than what the people in 10-15 states want it’s stupid to not want to separate. Irreconcilable differences exist. If 100 million in those 35-40 states want something different and they all unite it doesn’t matter that 10-15 states don’t want to allow it.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:45 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,925,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Hopefully another again. When the majority of people in 35-40 states want something completely different than what the people in 10-15 states want it’s stupid to not want to separate. Irreconcilable differences exist. If 100 million in those 35-40 states want something different and they all unite it doesn’t matter that 10-15 states don’t want to allow it.
Separate? That was tried in 1861. Didn't turn out well for them.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:00 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
How much of New Hampshire still has town meeting where every registered voter in town can attend and vote?

Old 02-12-2019, 05:27 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
How much of New Hampshire still has town meeting where every registered voter in town can attend and vote?
Technically every town in NH still has town meeting.

NH towns can have either the traditional town meeting as you described or they offer an SB2 town meeting which was established by the NH legislature in 1995. SB2 offers session(s) for deliberation and then an session for an election with a ballot vote on another day. The larger towns use SB2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire