Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 06:03 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslresident444 View Post
who will pay for government services if not the affluent?

Why just the affluent?

Old 02-18-2019, 06:55 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Taxes are a way for the human race to re-distribute money so that the commonwealth does not suffer unduly. Government and taxes were created for positive reasons.
Didn't we kick out the Brits for overtaxing us and redistributing the money in a way that didn't benefit us?

Quote:
New Hampshire is losing population because jobs are so dreadfully concentrated in major financial centers like Boston, New York, San Fransisco, etc..., and because manufacturing is defunct due to off-shore investment in super-cheap labor like China,
It's fine by me if NH loses year-round residents and if we develop further as just being a vacation destination for people in other states such as MA and NY. Less children would be much lower school costs. As it is, once those children reach college age, they leave NH for an out-of-state university and after graduation, to start their careers in major US cities (because they need higher paying jobs in order to pay off their massive college debts). If we truly wanted our young people to STAY IN NH, we should be much more focused on steering our children towards agricultural internships and the skilled trades. Pushing our children towards a STEM education only sends them AWAY from NH life.

And a lower public education costs would translate into lower property tax bills and older people being able to save for retirement. Less people in NH would mean more forest and open lands and less development... and that sounds like heaven to me.

Quote:
so tell me, who will pay for government services if not the affluent?
Why do you hate the affluent? Why is it acceptable for the poor to be the parasites of our society?

Are you affiliated with Ocasio-Cortez? Every single citizen, no matter how poor, should be working to offset the cost of government services. Being poor and a slacker, shouldn't be rewarded by getting government handouts.

The true American way is that hard work is rewarded.

Last edited by miu; 02-18-2019 at 07:24 AM..

Old 02-20-2019, 11:47 AM

8 posts, read 11,261 times
Default Income tax will not solve anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I'd support that income tax if it could be channeled purely to fund our public grade schools. But not for this paid family and medical leave act.
When the income tax was instituted in NJ, we were told it would ease property taxes. They lied. We now have one of the highest property tax burdens in the country, an income tax and a sales tax over 6%. Politicians, especially Dems. will simply increase spending and then demand more from the taxpayers.

I am also growing tired of people wanting to pick my pocket for the schools. I have relatives who moved to Ga. where seniors get a big break on school taxes. NH should institute this practice to help seniors who have already paid for multiple generations to attend school.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:18 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePat99 View Post
When the income tax was instituted in NJ, we were told it would ease property taxes. They lied. We now have one of the highest property tax burdens in the country, an income tax and a sales tax over 6%. Politicians, especially Dems. will simply increase spending and then demand more from the taxpayers.

I am also growing tired of people wanting to pick my pocket for the schools. I have relatives who moved to Ga. where seniors get a big break on school taxes. NH should institute this practice to help seniors who have already paid for multiple generations to attend school.
That's where I'm at. No sales or income tax, but real property tax relief for seniors. Not just one hundred bucks a year off, but real money.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:40 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
That's where I'm at. No sales or income tax, but real property tax relief for seniors. Not just one hundred bucks a year off, but real money.
One reason I'm only buying land in a low property tax town. A hedge against inflation, property tax stability, and low levels of new construction and development- meaning less of an influx of new people demanding more services and amenities.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:11 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
One reason I'm only buying land in a low property tax town. A hedge against inflation, property tax stability, and low levels of new construction and development- meaning less of an influx of new people demanding more services and amenities.
Moultonborough will fit the bill.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:46 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Moultonborough will fit the bill.
I’m hoping to close on a land parcel there this year, so you are spot on.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:44 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Quote:
When the income tax was instituted in NJ, we were told it would ease property taxes.
They also claimed it would only be temporary. They also claimed the revenue from AC gambling would fund all the school systems. the democrats in NJ have continued to lie for decades.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:33 AM

56 posts, read 43,084 times
I am not a politician. Until I retired 7 years ago, I used to be a corporate middle manager who loved my work but hated working for "Emperors Who Had No Clothes." (Read the story.) I benefited from the sacrifice of my parents who paid what was for them a good deal of money--$450/year + books to send me to La Salle Academy in Providence, Rhode Island. We had no money for a superior college so I attended a local 4 year college and fortunately had a flying start from having been educated at La Salle. I am a voracious reader who once gave over 400 anthropology and history books, some out of print which I had ordered from abroad to my alma mater. Until this year, when I gave up on humanity, I read 5 or 6 reputable but non-US mainstream media websites every day, like The Economist, Le Monde, BBC, Guardian, Alternet and others. Everything is defined by Chance in our lives. My life was defined by the fact I was brought up in an Italian culture which is morally incompatible with traditional USA Anglo-Saxon culture. I was taught to love and share and put community before self. That doesn't work in this country very well. Since I do not lie much I would never have been able to attempt politics.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:23 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
Quote:
Taxes are a way for the human race to re-distribute money so that the commonwealth does not suffer unduly. Government and taxes were created for positive reasons.

When the wealthy control government, and the government becomes non-representative, the affluent do whatever they can to avoid the taxes because they do not see any need to help the have-nots. If taxation was reasonably fairer, like it generally was up until the Carter-Reagan years, there would be less civil and political unrest.

The oligarchs in our era no longer think in terms of giving to the masses via taxation because of globalism and technology. They can move anywhere and still be rich. Most of the rest of humanity cannot move anywhere. They must depend upon the charity of whatever employers choose to pay taxes and stay in a less-affluent economic environment in order to help their communities. In our era, too many people have fallen victim to the idea that we all owe each other nothing except "opportunity."

There is for practical reasons little opportunity because of our birth and polico-economic system, but they are in denial about that and continue to think there is. They also believe in free will, which most intellectuals and scientists no longer do, and that helps them rationalize the misery of the have-nots. They think they worked for everything they have, and disregard any notion that it was Chance that gave them affluence.

New Hampshire is losing population because jobs are so dreadfully concentrated in major financial centers like Boston, New York, San Fransisco, etc..., and because manufacturing is defunct due to off-shore investment in super-cheap labor like China, so tell me, who will pay for government services if not the affluent?

We don't owe anyone anything EXCEPT opportunity, not food, nor shelter, nor healthcare or education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire