U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2019, 06:33 PM
 
8,280 posts, read 10,221,036 times
Reputation: 9985

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslresident444 View Post
I am not a politician. Until I retired 7 years ago, I used to be a corporate middle manager who loved my work but hated working for "Emperors Who Had No Clothes." (Read the story.) I benefited from the sacrifice of my parents who paid what was for them a good deal of money--$450/year + books to send me to La Salle Academy in Providence, Rhode Island. We had no money for a superior college so I attended a local 4 year college and fortunately had a flying start from having been educated at La Salle. I am a voracious reader who once gave over 400 anthropology and history books, some out of print which I had ordered from abroad to my alma mater. Until this year, when I gave up on humanity, I read 5 or 6 reputable but non-US mainstream media websites every day, like The Economist, Le Monde, BBC, Guardian, Alternet and others. Everything is defined by Chance in our lives. My life was defined by the fact I was brought up in an Italian culture which is morally incompatible with traditional USA Anglo-Saxon culture. I was taught to love and share and put community before self. That doesn't work in this country very well. Since I do not lie much I would never have been able to attempt politics.
Excellent posts, by the way. A way of restoring some faith in mankind.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 07-18-2019, 02:41 AM
 
Location: Manchester NH
2,650 posts, read 3,057,638 times
Reputation: 4070
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslresident444 View Post
I am not a politician. Until I retired 7 years ago, I used to be a corporate middle manager who loved my work but hated working for "Emperors Who Had No Clothes." (Read the story.) I benefited from the sacrifice of my parents who paid what was for them a good deal of money--$450/year + books to send me to La Salle Academy in Providence, Rhode Island. We had no money for a superior college so I attended a local 4 year college and fortunately had a flying start from having been educated at La Salle. I am a voracious reader who once gave over 400 anthropology and history books, some out of print which I had ordered from abroad to my alma mater. Until this year, when I gave up on humanity, I read 5 or 6 reputable but non-US mainstream media websites every day, like The Economist, Le Monde, BBC, Guardian, Alternet and others. Everything is defined by Chance in our lives. My life was defined by the fact I was brought up in an Italian culture which is morally incompatible with traditional USA Anglo-Saxon culture. I was taught to love and share and put community before self. That doesn't work in this country very well. Since I do not lie much I would never have been able to attempt politics.
BS, America and it's citizens as a whole out give every other nation. American conservatives regularly out give democrats and socialists
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2019, 07:36 AM
KCZ
 
2,508 posts, read 1,412,150 times
Reputation: 7066
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslresident444 View Post
I am not a politician. Until I retired 7 years ago, I used to be a corporate middle manager who loved my work but hated working for "Emperors Who Had No Clothes." (Read the story.) I benefited from the sacrifice of my parents who paid what was for them a good deal of money--$450/year + books to send me to La Salle Academy in Providence, Rhode Island. We had no money for a superior college so I attended a local 4 year college and fortunately had a flying start from having been educated at La Salle. I am a voracious reader who once gave over 400 anthropology and history books, some out of print which I had ordered from abroad to my alma mater. Until this year, when I gave up on humanity, I read 5 or 6 reputable but non-US mainstream media websites every day, like The Economist, Le Monde, BBC, Guardian, Alternet and others. Everything is defined by Chance in our lives. My life was defined by the fact I was brought up in an Italian culture which is morally incompatible with traditional USA Anglo-Saxon culture. I was taught to love and share and put community before self. That doesn't work in this country very well. Since I do not lie much I would never have been able to attempt politics.

That's a bit racist, not to mention self-serving to say that you're more altruistic than "Anglo-Saxons." . And don't forget that this country was built on the backs of Anglo-Saxons and their work ethic.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2019, 09:58 AM
 
Location: The Woods
17,372 posts, read 23,409,598 times
Reputation: 9932
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Please define "affluent"... because I know that I am not affluent, and yet my town expects my husband and I to cough up $11K a year in property taxes like it's not big deal. In fact, my town budget committee is hoping to tack on another $500 a year to my bill to fund a new safety fire and police complex. And all the older homeowners are struggling to pay their taxes, bills that have quadrupled since they bought their homes over 20 years ago.
NH's tax structure is basically designed to favor the wealthy over the middle class or working class. The property taxes are far less than the wealthy would pay on an income or wealth tax so they favor that. But of course property taxes, which are a regressive tax, fall hard on low or moderate income people.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2019, 10:04 AM
 
Location: The Woods
17,372 posts, read 23,409,598 times
Reputation: 9932
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
We don't owe anyone anything EXCEPT opportunity, not food, nor shelter, nor healthcare or education.
That attitude is basically why we're in such a mess as a country and a laughingstock in the rest of the developed world. Nearly half can't afford to pay basic bills in this country. People die because of our lack of healthcare access despite spending more per capita than other nations (insurance is not healthcare, you'll lose that employer provided insurance when you come down with something serious and can't work for months or years). Our crime rate including the mass murder problems are so high compared to other nations because of the combination of stresses caused by income issues, lack of healthcare including mental healthcare, lack of time off work, self-oriented culture, etc. Our society and culture basically reduce much of the population to almost animalistic behavior.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2019, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
2,650 posts, read 3,057,638 times
Reputation: 4070
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
That attitude is basically why we're in such a mess as a country and a laughingstock in the rest of the developed world. Nearly half can't afford to pay basic bills in this country. People die because of our lack of healthcare access despite spending more per capita than other nations (insurance is not healthcare, you'll lose that employer provided insurance when you come down with something serious and can't work for months or years). Our crime rate including the mass murder problems are so high compared to other nations because of the combination of stresses caused by income issues, lack of healthcare including mental healthcare, lack of time off work, self-oriented culture, etc. Our society and culture basically reduce much of the population to almost animalistic behavior.
Two words.. BS. or to put it another way..keep smoking that meth sunshine
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2019, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
2,650 posts, read 3,057,638 times
Reputation: 4070
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
That attitude is basically why we're in such a mess as a country and a laughingstock in the rest of the developed world. Nearly half can't afford to pay basic bills in this country. People die because of our lack of healthcare access despite spending more per capita than other nations (insurance is not healthcare, you'll lose that employer provided insurance when you come down with something serious and can't work for months or years). Our crime rate including the mass murder problems are so high compared to other nations because of the combination of stresses caused by income issues, lack of healthcare including mental healthcare, lack of time off work, self-oriented culture, etc. Our society and culture basically reduce much of the population to almost animalistic behavior.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Folks whenever you hear moronic babble such at this bunch of crap being spewed by the arctic one, ask yourself why folks are literally dying to get into this nation.

Last edited by Yac; 08-19-2020 at 01:18 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2019, 05:43 PM
 
1,902 posts, read 1,398,690 times
Reputation: 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
That attitude is basically why we're in such a mess as a country and a laughingstock in the rest of the developed world. Nearly half can't afford to pay basic bills in this country. People die because of our lack of healthcare access despite spending more per capita than other nations (insurance is not healthcare, you'll lose that employer provided insurance when you come down with something serious and can't work for months or years). Our crime rate including the mass murder problems are so high compared to other nations because of the combination of stresses caused by income issues, lack of healthcare including mental healthcare, lack of time off work, self-oriented culture, etc. Our society and culture basically reduce much of the population to almost animalistic behavior.
This sounds like blaming other people for the choices we make.

I'm old enough to have seen a number of people grow from babies to adults approaching middle age, with a wide range of outcomes. Outcomes depend on the choices they made. Sure, we are all subject to events completely out of our control that can upset the best laid plans. And it does happen. But in my experience that's uncommon, in general outcomes are a direct consequence of choices made.

If you want the freedom to make your own choices, you have to accept the outcome - good, bad, or indifferent. If you want to have an assured outcome, you have to accept others making your choices for you. Freedom to make our own choices, and accepting the outcome of the choices we make for ourselves, go together.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-18-2019, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
2,650 posts, read 3,057,638 times
Reputation: 4070
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
This sounds like blaming other people for the choices we make.

I'm old enough to have seen a number of people grow from babies to adults approaching middle age, with a wide range of outcomes. Outcomes depend on the choices they made. Sure, we are all subject to events completely out of our control that can upset the best laid plans. And it does happen. But in my experience that's uncommon, in general outcomes are a direct consequence of choices made.

If you want the freedom to make your own choices, you have to accept the outcome - good, bad, or indifferent. If you want to have an assured outcome, you have to accept others making your choices for you. Freedom to make our own choices, and accepting the outcome of the choices we make for ourselves, go together.

Of course it is, that is the mantra of socialism..perpetual victimhood, no self accountability, no discipline, no morality, just self indulgence and self pity. Pay for me, support me, feed me.. never mind that they run around getting the latest phones and cars and take out loans fully expecting to default on them. They cry about values but have none, they say YOU the taxpayer should pay for their needs but they never open their wallets for anything apart from an eight dollar latte or whatever it is they can self consume.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-19-2019, 08:50 AM
 
Location: The Woods
17,372 posts, read 23,409,598 times
Reputation: 9932
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
This sounds like blaming other people for the choices we make.

I'm old enough to have seen a number of people grow from babies to adults approaching middle age, with a wide range of outcomes. Outcomes depend on the choices they made. Sure, we are all subject to events completely out of our control that can upset the best laid plans. And it does happen. But in my experience that's uncommon, in general outcomes are a direct consequence of choices made.

If you want the freedom to make your own choices, you have to accept the outcome - good, bad, or indifferent. If you want to have an assured outcome, you have to accept others making your choices for you. Freedom to make our own choices, and accepting the outcome of the choices we make for ourselves, go together.
It's pretty basic psychology that the behavior, culture, attitudes, etc., of the people around a child influences that child as they grow. People raised in a society and culture that emphasizes selfishness, greed, tolerates bullying, etc., tend to turn out the same way. Few people mature and stand at odds with the society around them. America is increasingly a place where selfishness is the name of the game, money is the national god, capitalism its religion. That has impacts on society as we can see.

As far as healthcare goes as well, the vast majority of people in this country have little to no real wealth. That's a simple fact. If your sole ability to access healthcare is via insurance, then anything that takes that away, be it a job loss caused by an economic downturn or a serious illness taking away your ability to work, which statistically happens to most people at some point in their lives, then you no longer have that healthcare. There's a reason we have publicly funded schools and roads and a military. Governments exist to do things most individuals on their own can't accomplish. The argument we're seeing here by some is that government should only do things which benefit primarily the wealthy or corporations. Protect their property claims, protect their money, don't tax their income. They oppose anything which doesn't directly benefit them. If that's going to be the case there's really no reason for the rest of us to subsidize their desires. Why should middle class or working class people have to pay taxes, at the threat of becoming homeless in the case of NH's taxation based primarily on the property tax, that disproportionately support the few, prop up banks and businesses, if programs that benefit the working and middle classes are blocked. The notion of citizens doing something for the public good is an endangered concept. Everyone benefits from having a healthy population just as much as having an educated population. Our country is going to be left in the dust of other advanced nations if the free stater types get their wishes.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top