Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2019, 01:59 PM

28 posts, read 31,117 times

Advertisements

Hey All!

My wife, daughter (2.5 Y/O), and I are thinking about moving somewhere in NH. We are looking for a house potentially in the Portsmouth Area (Not Portsmouth itself), Concord Area, or the Merrimack Valley Area. We are in our early 30s and wanted to ask a few questions.

1. What is it like living in each of these places? Portsmouth or Concord seems to be a really nice cities to have as our go-to while still living out in a more rural area.

2. How is the commute going into each every every morning? Are NH people open to entrepreneurship? What is the job market like in these areas for IT professionals? I would NOT want to commute to Boston for work.

3. Do any of these towns have a good/welcoming community?

4. What are some negatives about the area? Stagnant housing market, job growth, etc.?

5. I know the schools are pretty good in these areas, but what is the school tax like?

6. What are some other family-friendly suburban/rural areas that we should look with reasonable home prices? (Note: Good Schools)

7. Any crime to worry about? What is the diversity like? (my wife is Asian).

8. How are the restaurants and food?

We find people to be very friendly in the area and feel like it would be no issue making friends. We live in the greater Boston area now so we're already used to the cold.

Any other insight out be great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 06:11 PM

219 posts, read 366,576 times
Outside of manchester and maybe nashua, there is virtually no crime in nh. Nobody cares that your wife is Asian, in nh we respect people that respect others but dont expert diversity, nh is one of the whitest states in the country.

NH has the lowest unemployment in the country, there is a major shortage of skilled labor, no shortage of jobs. Real estate prices continue to rise as the built up towns run out of land and the more rural towns enact zoning to block over development.

Living in greater boston, you are close enough to commute to concord/portsmouth for a limited period. I would find the job first, then pick the school, then select the town, then find the house. Do a quick search on one of the real estate websites, people around boston assume Portsmouth is cheap but may be surprised. Also take a hard look at property taxes but remember there is no income or sales tax. Property taxes vary greatly by town; we pay $5k, same house one mile down the road in the next town pays over $10k.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:57 AM

12,415 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig0 View Post
Outside of manchester and maybe nashua, there is virtually no crime in nh. Nobody cares that your wife is Asian, in nh we respect people that respect others but dont expert diversity, nh is one of the whitest states in the country.

NH has the lowest unemployment in the country, there is a major shortage of skilled labor, no shortage of jobs. Real estate prices continue to rise as the built up towns run out of land and the more rural towns enact zoning to block over development.

Living in greater boston, you are close enough to commute to concord/portsmouth for a limited period. I would find the job first, then pick the school, then select the town, then find the house. Do a quick search on one of the real estate websites, people around boston assume Portsmouth is cheap but may be surprised. Also take a hard look at property taxes but remember there is no income or sales tax. Property taxes vary greatly by town; we pay $5k, same house one mile down the road in the next town pays over $10k.
Portsmouth is absolutely not cheap. It's a great town, but cheap it isn't! *lol*

Old 04-07-2019, 03:08 PM

Any thoughts on neighborhoods that we should consider based on our above?

Old 04-07-2019, 03:59 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,626,495 times
You can find property tax rates for each city here:

https://www.revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/...-tax-rates.htm

Property taxes are generally quite high, because there is no income or sales tax, though the overall tax burden is still lower than most states. Since you can control where you live, you have a lot of control over the taxes you'll pay. Most of the property tax goes to schools.

There are a couple of areas with lower property tax rates. One is the Portsmouth area, which I believe has lower rates because the property values are generally high (=> houses are expensive). Another is the Lakes region (Meredith, Wolfeboro, and others up in that area). I believe the rates are lower there because there are many vacation homes (people paying property tax, but using very little services - especially schools). A third is the Sunapee region (Sunapee, New London, and others), which I believe has lower rates for the same reason as the Lakes region. There are probably others, you can peruse the tax rates from the link above.

You haven't said what you're looking for in a city that you're living in. Many cities are really just residential, with no restaurants, stores, etc. How important that is to you will have a big influence on where you want to look.

Regarding schools, I'll share my personal experience. Schools are not magic. Teachers present the information. If a student has trouble learning it, it's up to the parents to help them. The difference between a 'good' school and a 'bad' school has very little to do with the school, and a lot to do with the parents of the other students, and how much they value education. There's value in that, but it shouldn't be confused with believing the 'good' schools are doing anything different or better than the 'bad' schools, they aren't.

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2019, 10:24 AM

Thanks so much! We really like the idea of being close to Portsmouth but understand that money does not go as far around there. We were also thinking about Concord but have never been there (is it a decent town for jobs, places to eat, etc?). In terms of what we're looking for in a town, this would be mainly the following:

1. Community
2. Reasonable Home-Prices and Land size
3. Decent Schools
4. Reasonable Commute to Portsmouth, Concord, or Manchester (depending on the area - prefer Portsmouth)

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2019, 05:46 AM

11 posts, read 26,609 times
Check out Dover, NH. It’s closer to Portsmouth too.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:35 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,428,446 times
I would find jobs first and then find the right town to live in based on your future commute.

Liberty Mutual in Dover and Portsmouth and Fidelity in Merrimack are large IT employers.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:13 AM

Is the job market generally pretty healthy overall in Portsmouth and Concord? Is the pay about on-par with Boston?

Old 04-11-2019, 07:59 PM

They seem to be similar...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire