Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 01:22 PM

221 posts, read 484,075 times

Advertisements

Sure, if you have a performance car, why not I have summer's on my WRX and all seasons on my Highlander. The WRX gets snow tires and the Highlander seem to do really well with the Michelin high performance all seasons although I've thought of getting snows for my Highlander next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 04:17 PM

11,800 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Admittedly I live in Texas and have summer tires, when the temps dip below 50* F.. ..not good man.. I fish tail like I'm driving on ice.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:52 PM

157 posts, read 93,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgermeister View Post
I just spent my first winter in the North Country. Initially, I was using All-Seasons as recommended by many of those I talked to, however I quickly determined that slipping and sliding all over the place was no way to commute 30 miles to work. Of course, driver experience and where you live in NH may make a difference, but for me and mine studded snow tires all the way; your mileage may vary
Oh, we will continue to use snow tires in the winter, definitely. But for spring-fall, we were trying to decide between all-season or summer.

Now we're back to thinking summer tires again. I'm just a little nervous about the daily temperature variation, and if it dips down too low at night in late spring/early fall but is still too warm for winter tires during the day. But supposedly, they really do handle much better than all-seasons.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
Sure, if you have a performance car, why not I have summer's on my WRX and all seasons on my Highlander. The WRX gets snow tires and the Highlander seem to do really well with the Michelin high performance all seasons although I've thought of getting snows for my Highlander next year.
Well, that's kind of the thing. We just have plain old Subarus. No performance cars here. My husband still feels it's safer to have summer tires for spring-fall versus all-season, and I agree....except I'm concerned about those few nights in late spring or early fall when the temperatures dip down low, but the daytime temps are still too high to be on winter tires.

So, we are at an impasse. LOL

Old 04-21-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Admittedly I live in Texas and have summer tires, when the temps dip below 50* F.. ..not good man.. I fish tail like I'm driving on ice.
Below 50? I've been reading about near or below freezing being a concern, but not 50. That's concerning.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:45 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoSomething View Post
Oh, we will continue to use snow tires in the winter, definitely. But for spring-fall, we were trying to decide between all-season or summer.

Now we're back to thinking summer tires again. I'm just a little nervous about the daily temperature variation, and if it dips down too low at night in late spring/early fall but is still too warm for winter tires during the day. But supposedly, they really do handle much better than all-seasons.
Unless you're canyon carving at 9/10th's everyday, get a set of high performance all season tires like the Yokohama Avid ENVigor. They will work well at lower temps and still give you the performance that most daily drivers need.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:32 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Unless you're canyon carving at 9/10th's everyday, get a set of high performance all season tires like the Yokohama Avid ENVigor. They will work well at lower temps and still give you the performance that most daily drivers need.
Agree with this. If you have a higher performance car than shoot for a high performance all season which will be biased more towards summer tire grip levels without too much issue if we get a quick cold snap.

Luckily we live in really great times for tire choices, assuming you don't need some oddball size. If you are already running a dedicated winter tire (and I think everyone should up here) than you might as well bias your 3 season tire towards the performance end if that's your goal.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve....jsp?type=HPAS

Old 04-22-2019, 09:22 PM

89 posts, read 134,553 times
Quote:
Unless you have performance cars, All-Seasons are probably your best choice.

Last edited by Burgermeister; 04-22-2019 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 04-23-2019, 12:57 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
all season tires are not really all season tires, they do not do the job of a good snow tire. Summer tires and all season tires are comparable for the other three seasons. If the price is the same it really won't matter which you get.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:52 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,249 times
Quote:
Do you put summer tires on your car rather than all-season? If so, living in (Southern) New Hampshire, when do you make the switch?After decades of living in the Northeast, this is the first year that I have winter tires. (And it has been wonderful!) So, in looking at what to put on the car now, it looks like summer tires are better overall than all-season.
But, if I change the tires out now, and it dips below 45 degrees at night, does that mean I'm compromising safety? But, if I keep the winter tires on a little longer, and it gets up to 65 degrees during the day, does that mean I'm compromising safety?

I used to take the studded tires off in April/May. Never heard of summer tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire