Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:36 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,451,719 times

Advertisements

Boo & Val--awesome pics! Hens & Chicks & Donkey tails....I love them, & thought I'd be leaving them behind in CA, but now I have hope that I can grow them here if I can find a sunny enough spot. Last wknd I went to Pickety Place and the House by the Side of the Road (correct name?) in Wilton & scored a Virginia Creeper and a climbing hydrangea. My intention is to plant them so they climb up tall pines in semi-full shade. Do any of you here have any experience with either plant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 12:47 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Wish I could help Lisa, but I have no experience with either of those. I now have a mostly sunny backyard, after cutting down several pine trees. We loved the look of the pines, but sap all over everything and everyone was no good. One thing I've noticed is that since cutting the trees, the "baby" lilacs that we discovered that were covered in weeds and old branch debris have started to GROW and FLOWER.

I have a wonderful shrub that will be flowering in just another week or two, maybe somebody here can help me identify it. It has tight little reddish buds right now, and when it flowers, it's a pale pink, very small flower, intensely sweet scent. Does it sound familiar to anyone? When it was under the pines it had barely any buds or flowers, but now that it's in full sun, it's FULL and should be very pretty I'd like a couple more IN the garden so I can enjoy them while I'm working out there (and one near the patio as well would be nice!)

I have often wondered what is up with turkeys.... You alway hear that the wild ones are such a smart bird, but when you see herds (flocks?) of them out and about, barely moving out of the way for cars, etc. (And when strawberry or blueberry picking they are downright bold and will practically crowd you out of the field!) But... I'll bet they make themselves scarce from Halloween till after Thanksgiving

Old 05-06-2008, 05:21 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,540,398 times
Wink Why did the Turkey cross the road?

And we all thought it was "why did the chicken cross the road" all along it was those wild turkeys...they like to make us wait...slow down & enjoy the scenery, LOL

Does anyone know if these are wild turkeys in the photo? They looked too skinny to me, but maybe they are just avoiding being a "special guest" for dinner.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd280/BuggaBoo2_album/turkeys.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by ~Boo~; 05-06-2008 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-06-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
...I have a wonderful shrub that will be flowering in just another week or two, maybe somebody here can help me identify it. It has tight little reddish buds right now, and when it flowers, it's a pale pink, very small flower, intensely sweet scent. Does it sound familiar to anyone? When it was under the pines it had barely any buds or flowers, but now that it's in full sun, it's FULL and should be very pretty I'd like a couple more IN the garden so I can enjoy them while I'm working out there (and one near the patio as well would be nice!)...
It sounds similar to a tea bush out here in Cali...but I don't know if it would grow back East. Maybe take a picture of it to a local nursery ...or a clipping & they can help you identify it. I'd like to know what it is...post a picture too if you have a chance.

How's everyone's garden doing? Hope more buds are blooming with warmer weather!

Old 05-06-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Crabgrass does pretty well in my garden. Or at least tries to. Now if I could figure how to make oil out of the stuff?
Maybe the crafty squirrels that build Acorn homes can show you how?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:53 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Those look like turkeys to me Boo! It's funny, I haven't seen a wild turkey in months, and this morning one crossed the street right in front of my car, heading from one orchard into the other....

Old 05-07-2008, 06:18 AM

951 posts, read 1,654,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Those look like turkeys to me Boo! It's funny, I haven't seen a wild turkey in months, and this morning one crossed the street right in front of my car, heading from one orchard into the other....
Val, you won't believe this, but I had to drive my daughter to school yesterday and just after we hit the road, a turkey jumped out in front of me and headed for one of the ponds! It was a safe distance, so I didn't have to panic stop. Too funny!

I hadn't seen one in my area in a long time. The last time I saw turkeys was at our place in the Berkshires in Dec., where they are a daily occurence in the back yard. The Cape is starting to get a pretty decent population of them it seems.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:57 AM

We had a flock of them take up residence in our yard from the fall through the winter...
pretty interesting to watch but man did they leave a mess!!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:00 AM

Speaking of birds, a pair of Northern Goshawks have also moved in and they scream at me whenever I come outside! They're probably defending eggs or a nest (we can see a nest but don't know if it's their active nest or a decoy type nest), and they really don't like people in their territory. Have any of you experienced this?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:08 AM

Sounds like the birds are taking over in New Hampshire!

Thanks Valerie, I second guessed my memory. I thought they were the turkeys crossing the road, but the photo is from 2006 & when I posted it, I wasn't sure...we don't see turkeys where I live. We have opossums that waddle out into the road...nothing like seeing a giant rat-like creature in your headlight beams! lots of squirrels, rabbits, mice too....and hawks circling in the air hunting them all. Near the hills I see the deer, but they stay away from the neighborhoods. Sometimes I see the coyotes running down the street in the early morning...kinda freaks me out, at first you think oh no someones dogs are loose...then they get closer & you think oh no don't move...did they see me? ...maybe they'll just keep running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire