U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 05:59 PM

121 posts, read 541,623 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on the Upper Valley, Hanover, the quality of life?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 07:26 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,349,534 times
High cost of living. Alot of out of staters due to border towns. But the area is nice. A little liberal, but not to the point where they smoke pot and do the peace rally thing. More Demacrate than true liberals. But yes it is a nice area. You working at the hospital?

Old 12-18-2006, 07:41 PM

121 posts, read 541,623 times
Thinking about living there if I can get into Vermont Law School. Wondering if the people are nice in Hanover or snobby.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:43 AM

8 posts, read 13,718 times
I'm from Germany and I will probably move to Lebanon,nh this August.

Any more thought about this area? Wanna get excited

Old 02-10-2012, 05:50 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,165,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futt View Post
I'm from Germany and I will probably move to Lebanon,nh this August.

Any more thought about this area? Wanna get excited
It will probably remind you of Clausthal (without the bars of course).

Small-town, hilly, lots of snow (well normally ), ski areas nearby. And just as driving to the east of Niedersachsen puts you in Sachsen-Anhalt, driving west of the NH border puts you in Vermont.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:18 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,384,578 times
Hanover has a very upscale vibe and upscale property costs to go with it. Can't say how friendly it is or not, no direct experience, but I imagine it really depends on a lot of factors.

The farther you get from Hanover the more reasonably prices get and the more blue-coller life gets. The Upper Valley is really a collection of a dozen small towns straddling the Connecticut river, so there is a lot of choice as to the type of lifestyle you are looking for.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
It will probably remind you of Clausthal (without the bars of course).

Small-town, hilly, lots of snow (well normally ), ski areas nearby. And just as driving to the east of Niedersachsen puts you in Sachsen-Anhalt, driving west of the NH border puts you in Vermont.
What a great answer

Any more infos are appreciated - general lifestyle, nightlife, etc.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:36 PM

530 posts, read 1,284,901 times
I've lived in the Upper Valley for nearly 20 years. If you are going to Vermont Law, you don't have to live in Hanover. You can find a nice apartment in the South Royalton area (Vermont) and be closer to school. Hanover is fun to visit but expensive to rent or own due to both Dartmouth and the well-rated Hanover school district. This is a very nice area to live in, but not very exciting for a young person! If you like outdoor activities, especially winter sports, you will love it here!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 AM

Not very exciting for a young person? Too bad, but what do you mean? I thought Dartmouth has a great influence to the Upper Valley?

I will most likely move to Lebanon.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 PM

8,112 posts, read 8,958,702 times
Lebanon is a tired old mill town with all of the mills closed or gone. In the 1960's US urban renewal funds were used to try to remake the downtown area. It was a total disaster.

West Lebanon was a separate town at one time and the two towns merged many years ago. So Lebanon has to main sections. West Lebanon has a strip along the Connecticut river with shopping strip malls and burger joints.

Lebanon pays the 3rd highest in NH per pupil cost for the public schools. You can find some reasonable rents in Lebanon if you are not to fussy.

Lebanon is safe. As with any city you will have to lock your car.

Lebanon does have the Carter Center for recreation. Donated by the Carter family. Carter was one of the largest producers of work clothes at one time. Gone now.

Downtown Lebanon is not much but does have a theater hall for plays. So some cultural activities there.

Lebanon is at the cross roads of Interstate Route 89 and Route 91. There is an airport in Lebanon. Not sure if there are any scheduled flights as it is a small airport but does have an FAA tower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire