Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 09:26 AM

16 posts, read 20,028 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

Add me to the seemingly long list of M*******s considering a move to NH. We live right in Boston right now, but are currently on sabbatical in a pretty rural area of VT and are loving it. Frankly, I’m approaching the end of sabbatical with a sense of dread. The idea of being back in the hyper competitive greater Boston area is killing me (or, at least, it’s keeping me awake at night).

So... we’re considering southern NH. My elderly FIL fairly recently moved to Hollis, so that would make sense (although we already know that my husband’s commute to Boston would optimistically be pretty terrible - fortunately, he has some freedom to work non-traditional hours...)

But I’m worried that we would make this move and basically feel like we’re in Newton, but with a terrible commute. Can anyone weigh in on the vibe? Does it feel removed? I know that it will not feel as rural as our current location, but... I mean, are there tractors on the road? Is it predominantly white-collar workers? For lack of a better word, how uptight does it feel?

Of course, I’ve asked my FIL these questions, but he basically just keeps to himself and (obviously) does not have kids in school or anything (we have three elementary aged kids), so it’s tough to get a good read from him. And these vibe-type issues feel basically impossible to get a handle on before living there. So I would really love insight.

Also, I know the schools are well-regarded, but can someone tell me any specifics? Do the kids get outdoor time? Is there anything like a forest kindergarten? And as my oldest is approaching middle school, how is the homework situation? Do the schools give a lot?

Thanks so much! I really appreciate any insight that you could give!

Best,
Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 06:54 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Hollis does not feel like Newton, MA. It's more like Stow or Harvard. An upper middle class former farming community within a reasonable drive to shopping and other amenities. Fidelity Investments in Merrimack is far and away the largest employer for most Hollis white collar workers. A commute to Boston would be dreadful.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:35 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,014,869 times
Hollis is great! Upper class, great schools, but high property taxes. As well as close enough to Nashua for shopping.

But the commute to Boston would indeed be not so great. (minimum of 1 hour, if you can manage to hit zero traffic....)

Old 05-03-2019, 04:47 AM

Thank you both! It’s actually my husband pushing the move (he’s the one who would have to commute, so... shrug... he envisions taking the bus from Nashua). I really appreciate your insight. And we are looking at both Harvard and Stowe, so those references were spot on. I think the bottom line is: gosh, I’m really going to miss our rural sabbatical.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:56 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Post Most of hollis is more "bedroom community" than rural, only a few real working farms remain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Hollis does not feel like Newton, MA. It's more like Stow or Harvard. An upper middle class former farming community within a reasonable drive to shopping and other amenities.
I'd agree that the comparison to Harvard, MA is spot on. Small islands of rural character (farms, tractors, cow barns, horses) still remain, but anything with easy highway access is selling at a premium.

Hollis "feels like southern New Hampshire", but has a fair amount of residents who commute into Mass, if not all the way down to Boston, then to the various tech firms along 495.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybelly03 View Post
So... we’re considering southern NH. My elderly FIL fairly recently moved to Hollis, so that would make sense (although we already know that my husband’s commute to Boston would optimistically be pretty terrible - fortunately, he has some freedom to work non-traditional hours...)

But I’m worried that we would make this move and basically feel like we’re in Newton, but with a terrible commute. Can anyone weigh in on the vibe? Does it feel removed? I know that it will not feel as rural as our current location, but... I mean, are there tractors on the road? Is it predominantly white-collar workers? For lack of a better word, how uptight does it feel?
Hollis mostly feels like an affluent suburb, edging into semi-rural as you go northwest. There are still some active farms, but not to the extent you'll find a few towns further out, beyond the "commutable distance to Boston" that drives up home prices in that part of NH.

If travel time to the bus in Nashua is less of a concern, take a look at the rural parts of Amherst/Milford/Mont Vernon.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 05-03-2019 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: take a look at the rural parts of Amherst/Milford/Mont Vernon.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:50 AM

Thank you so much. This is really great insight and I appreciate your taking the time to respond!

Old 05-06-2019, 09:44 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,122 times
Random thoughts:
Yes, there are tractors on the roads occasionally. There are a few farm plots scattered around town and tractors use the roads to go between them. There's also wildlife in the roads and, more commonly, trudging through yards. Facebook posts of bears and moose in yards are not unusual.
The town often purchases large plot of lands to keep in conservation and take a look at Beaver Brook Association
I fully expected the community to be uptight but I found that isn't so. I wonder if the wealthy are sending their kids to private schools because the families I've met though my kids in elementary and middle school are not mega rich. They have the same issues most of us do.
If you have a child with and IEP or special needs, the elementary schools are outstanding. The middle school (a coop with Brookline) I find is much less organized but still ok. All of my two kid's teachers have been great and some were outstanding.
The elementary IIRC has two? outdoor recesses as long as temps are over 20-degrees. In the winter the kids cross country ski and snow shoe as part of phys ed (as long as there is snow). There are also some lessons taught outdoors probably depending on teacher. Environmental science is taught in elementary.
Middle school has no recess. But dozens of after school "clubs"
Nashua and Lowell is convenient for restaurants, live music, and culture.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
Random thoughts:
Yes, there are tractors on the roads occasionally. There are a few farm plots scattered around town and tractors use the roads to go between them. There's also wildlife in the roads and, more commonly, trudging through yards. Facebook posts of bears and moose in yards are not unusual.
The town often purchases large plot of lands to keep in conservation and take a look at Beaver Brook Association
I fully expected the community to be uptight but I found that isn't so. I wonder if the wealthy are sending their kids to private schools because the families I've met though my kids in elementary and middle school are not mega rich. They have the same issues most of us do.
If you have a child with and IEP or special needs, the elementary schools are outstanding. The middle school (a coop with Brookline) I find is much less organized but still ok. All of my two kid's teachers have been great and some were outstanding.
The elementary IIRC has two? outdoor recesses as long as temps are over 20-degrees. In the winter the kids cross country ski and snow shoe as part of phys ed (as long as there is snow). There are also some lessons taught outdoors probably depending on teacher. Environmental science is taught in elementary.
Middle school has no recess. But dozens of after school "clubs"
Nashua and Lowell is convenient for restaurants, live music, and culture.
This is wonderful information. Thank you! I have noticed that in Hollis pedestrians wave as cars pass (and vice versa), which is one of the very small things that I am loving about our rural town, so thar’s a definite plus. Adding on that people are not uptight is a huge bonus! I really appreciate your insight.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:09 PM

Can I ask a follow-up question about the schools? How “different” do the different schools feel? Like if I have three kids in three different schools, will I be managing three different PTAs/3 different concerts/3 different start-end times/etc.? Somehow, I’m finding this four school situation to be intimidating as an outside observer. Thanks again!

Old 05-07-2019, 07:11 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,122 times
My experience is limited because I only have TWO kids in two, sometimes one, schools and they don't participate much in extra curriculars. It's been manageable for me. I think a lot of families are in the same situation so the schools schedule events in a staggered way. If you drive your kids to school the start/end times are such that you can drop a kid at primary, then you'll be on time for upper elementary dropoff (which is two minutes away), and etc. Realize that the school buses have to do the same thing so start times HAVE to be staggered.
So the 4 school thing is really a non-issue. It shouldn't be a deciding factor in your move. I think it's actually a benefit to segregate the 7 & 8 graders to their own school because it's such a "weird" time in child development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire