U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 09:58 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,599,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im45us View Post
I am about 1 year away from retirement and will move to NH. I live in Mass and visit NH every couple of weeks, son lives there. We started wanting to live in Tilton and now are looking further north. If you look up tax rates you will see that many of the towns near the lakes have lower rates because they are subsidized by million dollar water front homes. Southern NH is just Mass light to me at least so no thanks ;-) .

We are now looking at the Plymouth area. Close to mountains and lakes, nice downtown and the best Chinese restaurant anywhere. It is a college town so was thinking of renting for a year and rents are high.
Plymouth property taxes are very high, as in sky-high. Nice town, but if you move up that way, I would look at the surrounding towns.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 10:02 AM

134 posts, read 109,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Plymouth property taxes are very high, as in sky-high. Nice town, but if you move up that way, I would look at the surrounding towns.
I live in Mass so high is relative . We are looking at most towns between Tilton and Thornton.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:19 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,599,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im45us View Post
I live in Mass so high is relative . We are looking at most towns between Tilton and Thornton.
Meredith & Gilford are 2 of my favorites in that area.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:06 PM

4,895 posts, read 3,107,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Have you considered Vermont?
Sure, that’s a possibility as well. Quite honesty, I’m not well informed enough to know the differences. I don’t wish to hijack this discussion, though, so I’ll lurk for a while and then start my own threads as the need arises.

Thanks.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:02 AM

36,764 posts, read 12,784,494 times
I think NH is a beautiful state. I'd have no reservations moving there, or anywhere in New England.

DH has some family in Maine, and I once mentioned moving there, once. He said, You're going in the wrong direction! lol.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:37 AM
KCZ

3,197 posts, read 1,938,675 times
Retiring is one thing, aging is something else. In the northern half of of state, lack of services like public transportation and homecare services make it difficult to "age in place."

Old 06-02-2019, 06:45 AM

5,624 posts, read 2,937,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatx View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm fast approaching retirement from the tech industry, currently live and work in Austin, TX. Spent formative younger years in Michigan and Chicago, so I'm used to cold weather and actually prefer cold winters over beastly hot blast-furnace summers in Texas. I enjoy skiing, snowmobiling, etc. I'm seriously consider a post-retirement move to one of the New England states.

New Hampshire is almost always in the top 3 or 5 states listed as great places to retire because of no state income tax, no taxing of retirement benefits, etc....I've visited NH before and was awe-struck at the beautiful countryside.

Checking Zillow and other real estate sites, I had no trouble finding homes in my price range. I fear, though, that because I adore the beauty of the state, I'm probably romanticizing how life there as a retiree would be...so wondering if any current or former NH residents might offer the low-down on life in the Granite State? And in particular - if you retired to NH, what did you experience that you didn't expect or plan for?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Dave
I only lived there 5 years during grad school in Durham, but I really enjoyed my time there, and would have stayed if there were jobs in my field. I moved away for a time but returned to the area about 20 years ago and visit NH and ME pretty often - only live 5 miles from the NH border... NH is a great state, particularly if you love the outdoors - hiking, fishing, kayaking, skiing, etc.

I am used to them, but the winters are something to contend with, cold and dark up here. Ideally, your new home will (a) be tight and well-insulated to keep you comfortable in every room when it's below freezing and even below zero out during cold snaps (b) have some generous south-facing windows in the living spaces to let in that stingy winter sun for better mood and (c) have an attached garage to keep the snow off your vehicles, store and launch your snowthrower from after a big dump and walk in and out easily without traipsing through snow or ice.

One thing to be aware of is that real estate taxes in NH are quite high. Now they vary a lot from town to town, but you want to be sure to look at that at least when considering towns to live in. There is an online map of RE tax rates in NH.

The only other thing I'd say is, if you really like New Hampshire, don't overlook Maine! :-)

Old 06-02-2019, 02:35 PM

15 posts, read 9,443 times
From a weather standpoint NH is a great place to be from May through mid October most years. If you like freezing your ass off, walking on ice and snow everywhere you go, shoveling and snowblowing every day, and watching the sun come up at 8am and go down at 3pm then you may also like NH the rest of the year. Aside from the weather the masshsoles that have migrated north and **** for brains college kids are turning NH into another liberal toilet. I live here now but you couldn't pay me to retire here.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:21 PM

8,864 posts, read 15,305,839 times
I've lived in New Hampshire (Monadnock Region) for 17 years now. In general I love it here, but that is mostly because I have a great, very secure job that pays me a decent salary on which I pay no state income tax. When I was looking to buy a house a year after I moved here, I looked at Vermont and Massachusetts as well, but their property taxes weren't much different from mine AND I'd have to pay income and sales tax too, so I bought in NH instead (gotta love short commutes too ).

I am still considering what I will do in retirement (I turned 60 this past January and could easily work another 10 years, given the type of job I have). I could conceivably stay where I am, as my house will be paid off before retirement, but property tax and utilities could easily reach $1,500/month by then. I am not a big spender at all, and my SS will be pretty high and I'll also have a 403(b) (like a 401(k)), but still ... the property taxes here give me pause.

If I didn't like my house and my neighborhood so much, I'd move in a heartbeat to a different location in New England (maybe Maine) with lower overall taxes (which would mostly mean lower property taxes) -- but I DO love my house and my neighborhood. So I have no clue what I will do ...

If I were moving from SOMEWHERE ELSE to New Hampshire to retire, I'd have a whole lot more choices with much lower property taxes. So I am a bit envious of those of you who will be moving here from elsewhere, and look forward to reading more as you make your decisions.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:42 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,865,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I've lived in New Hampshire (Monadnock Region) for 17 years now. In general I love it here, but that is mostly because I have a great, very secure job that pays me a decent salary on which I pay no state income tax. When I was looking to buy a house a year after I moved here, I looked at Vermont and Massachusetts as well, but their property taxes weren't much different from mine AND I'd have to pay income and sales tax too, so I bought in NH instead (gotta love short commutes too ).

I am still considering what I will do in retirement (I turned 60 this past January and could easily work another 10 years, given the type of job I have). I could conceivably stay where I am, as my house will be paid off before retirement, but property tax and utilities could easily reach $1,500/month by then. I am not a big spender at all, and my SS will be pretty high and I'll also have a 403(b) (like a 401(k)), but still ... the property taxes here give me pause.

If I didn't like my house and my neighborhood so much, I'd move in a heartbeat to a different location in New England (maybe Maine) with lower overall taxes (which would mostly mean lower property taxes) -- but I DO love my house and my neighborhood. So I have no clue what I will do ...

If I were moving from SOMEWHERE ELSE to New Hampshire to retire, I'd have a whole lot more choices with much lower property taxes. So I am a bit envious of those of you who will be moving here from elsewhere, and look forward to reading more as you make your decisions.
Maine property taxes can be lower, if you're in an unincorporated area. In towns, they looked similar to NH to me.

The Lakes region, and the Sunapee region, have reasonable taxes, and are in a town.

I could live in an area without much nearby services now, but at some point after retirement I think having services will become important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire