U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 02:08 AM

20,693 posts, read 12,259,689 times

Advertisements

If you’re looking to retire in place, you want to be close to good health care and services. Other than Dartmouth-Hitchcock in the upper Connecticut river valley, medical services in the rural northern 2/3 of the state aren’t great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 07:00 AM

7,328 posts, read 4,285,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you’re looking to retire in place, you want to be close to good health care and services. Other than Dartmouth-Hitchcock in the upper Connecticut river valley, medical services in the rural northern 2/3 of the state aren’t great.
...or if you're close to the MA border, you can easily access the BI-Lahey or Partners/MGH in MA within a reasonable drive. Partners is also starting to expand along the seacoast with the acquisition of Wentworth Douglas and now Exeter Health. They also reached an agreement with Catholic Medical for a facility in Salem.

With any luck, the magical Mass General Hospital name will ensure good healthcare in southern NH.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:37 AM

20,693 posts, read 12,259,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
...or if you're close to the MA border, you can easily access the BI-Lahey or Partners/MGH in MA within a reasonable drive. Partners is also starting to expand along the seacoast with the acquisition of Wentworth Douglas and now Exeter Health. They also reached an agreement with Catholic Medical for a facility in Salem.

With any luck, the magical Mass General Hospital name will ensure good healthcare in southern NH.

Just because MGH and Brigham & Women's are world class hospitals doesn't mean the rest of what they now own inherits it. It's not like they went out and hired new physicians, nurses, etc at those facilities.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:43 PM

7,328 posts, read 4,285,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Just because MGH and Brigham & Women's are world class hospitals doesn't mean the rest of what they now own inherits it. It's not like they went out and hired new physicians, nurses, etc at those facilities.
True - but it gets them into the Partners infrastructure allowing easier access to MGH, Brigham, et al.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,041 times
Default plymouth nh

I was looking into Plymouth, NH also. I just saw an article of the 10 most dangerous cities and Plymouth was on it, any feedback on the truth. Thanks

Old 07-08-2019, 10:45 AM

600 posts, read 797,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATJ20 View Post
From a weather standpoint NH is a great place to be from May through mid October most years. If you like freezing your ass off, walking on ice and snow everywhere you go, shoveling and snowblowing every day, and watching the sun come up at 8am and go down at 3pm then you may also like NH the rest of the year. Aside from the weather the masshsoles that have migrated north and **** for brains college kids are turning NH into another liberal toilet. I live here now but you couldn't pay me to retire here.
So......you hate all people from Mass. And College Kids. You can't even spell the awful word that you call people from Mass. (Do you know any people from Massachusetts?). You claim that the so-called "Live Free or Die" state is a "liberal toilet". I think you may have bigger problems than which state you live in, but maybe Alabama would work for you?

Old 07-08-2019, 10:52 AM

3,093 posts, read 1,671,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
I am a long, long way from retirement age. NH has a low overall tax burden compared with many other states, and relative to most places in the country you're going to wind up paying less in overall taxes. That said, it's not all good news and someone who doesn't look into the numbers for their specific situation may be caught off guard.

Some specific things that come to mind:

- Property tax bills, while variable from town to town, are among the most expensive in the country on average.

- Auto registration can be very expensive if you have new/newer cars.

- Heating can get expensive, labor-intensive (wood), or both. Natural gas isn't available in most places beyond the Boston metro/commuting range. Lots of housing is also older and may require more upkeep work than new/nearly-new build.
Food prices are also sky high. And re: property taxes- not only are they already sky high, they go up every year. I would recommend looking elsewhere for retirement as inflation will kill you here.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:27 AM

735 posts, read 463,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher5861 View Post
I was looking into Plymouth, NH also. I just saw an article of the 10 most dangerous cities and Plymouth was on it, any feedback on the truth. Thanks

While I have only driven through it twice, and have only spent one night there, I can't imagine much "danger" for any person that maintains a reasonable amount of situational awareness there.

edit: if you don't mind, please link the article. I wouldn't mind reading it.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:40 AM
KCZ

3,258 posts, read 2,000,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher5861 View Post

Seriously? Do you have a link to that article? I think there's been one murder in Plymouth in the past 20 years or more. It's a college town, so I'm sure there are the usual number of drug problems, rapes, thefts, and vandalism. I wouldn't have any qualms about living there, unless you're concerned about dying of boredom.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:16 PM

3,648 posts, read 2,566,740 times
It's not really reasonable to try to encapsulate NH into a few bullet points. The state is too varied. The SE part is a different world from the north country. The lakes are in a category of their own. Upper Valley has a world class university. And so forth.

I'd suggest developing a priority list - proximity to Boston? Near shopping? Near nature (where I am, nature is everywhere, fine didning or shopping is not...) Near skiing? Local or major resort? Suburban (with its congestion) or rural, where you can get to the grocery in 7 minutes without even a traffic light (and only two stop signs?)

Don't let the cost of car registration scare you. It only seems high in NH compared to some other states.

Winter? Much tougher on working folks, who must get to work, than us retirees, who can wait, for the plow truck or whatever. And winter is beautiful in so many parts. The small towns around me look like post cards.

My advice is to take your priority list and explore the various corners before you make a decision. We did lots of Zillow drive-bys to explore regions, neighborhoods and town before we moved, before even engaging a real estate agent. We learned a lot by just seeing what you could get for your money and what the neighborhoods were like, and quickly eliminated some areas as not to our taste. YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire