Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times

Advertisements

Never having lived in the part of the state that Tara moved to, I can't speak for that area. However, southern NH (we are sometimes lovingly referred to as "northern Massachusetts") within 10-15 miles of the Mass. border you might find what you are looking for. Many of the schools are already quite highly regarded. In fact, when we moved to New Hampshire, we specifically looked for a town that already HAD most of what we projected our needs to be so that we wouldn't be frustrated with what we didn't have. Would we like a public pool, lake or park with swings and slides? Yup, but we moved here knowing there was none... We've found the area to be mostly welcoming, but again, we purposely chose a town known for good schools, and many neighborhoods, not just nice winding country roads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
being from out of NH yes I've found the first 3 to be true. People will know you're from out of state if you go to a small town... Lots of whispers behind closed doors and nosey people in small towns. Children bring a need for education, which means they need more schools, which means more taxes and thats a no no. My husband and I good people but just didn't get that warm welcome everyone talked about in NH. We're leaving after moving up last year. I wish you better luck though, and I'd stick to the seascoast as they're much more used to in influx of all people from everywhere and it might be easier to adjust and get more acceptance than a small town who's more set in their ways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 AM

371 posts, read 1,161,901 times
I would like to see all the property taxes replaced with a progressive income tax where the tax burden is placed on the highest incomes. The point is that the people that benefit, in terms of providing a system where they could amass and protect wealth, the most from the system, should pay the cost of operating a government and a community. This is what I consider Fair.

Why is it "fair" for successful people to support everyone else? The only "fair" tax is a flat tax - One where everyone pays the same % rate.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 AM

282 posts, read 1,186,337 times
I agree with dognh in a way.........I don't see a progressive income tax as really "fair" either. The really sad thing is this......if all the young people are moving out of state because we don't value them as a society, and we don't educate the children etc....who is going to take care of the "elderly" "retired" folks when they go into nursing homes when they can't live in their nice little segregated communites? Where are the fire fighters going to be when they catch their bathrobes on fire trying to cook dinner? Where will the EMT be when they fall on the ice and break a hip. A society such as this won't get very far without valuing the young people and what they mean for our future. I certainly hope that when I get older, I won't be so jaded and forget from whence I came.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:29 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
Why is it "fair" for successful people to support everyone else? The only "fair" tax is a flat tax - One where everyone pays the same % rate.

I agree - a 1% tax on a billion could replace a whole town of property taxes. A 1% tax on my income would be a substantial savings for me. I have no problem with a flat tax.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:23 PM

11 posts, read 33,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
...I would like to see all the property taxes replaced with a progressive income tax where the tax burden is placed on the highest incomes. The point is that the people that benefit, in terms of providing a system where they could amass and protect wealth, the most from the system, should pay the cost of operating a government and a community. This is what I consider Fair.
I could be totally wrong, but I'd like to humbly submit my idea as an outsider looking in.

What's led to much of the success in New Hampshire seems to be its low tax burden, even though the property taxes are high. It doesn't seem fair to tax people who are wealthy solely based on the fact that they are wealthy. How many of those people worked for that wealth? Sure, luck plays a factor, but would you say the same thing in their shoes? I'm not rich myself so I don't know, but more than just economic theory, the data supports that New Hampshire is successful exactly because of its tax structure -- not in spite of it. It has a poverty rate much lower than the U.S. average and an unemployment rate much lower than the U.S. average. Those are just some of the things that really attract me (a young person about to start a family) to move to New Hampshire, but those things work out the way they do because of no sales tax and no income tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
...but I do agree that those people who own castles around the lakes should be TAXED for what they earn, not just on what they own here in the state... Truly a case of the haves and the have-more's...
I think people being able to "haves" without interference is what's led to New Hampshire's relative wealth. I know the State has problems, but no more than many other States, and in most cases it's doing pretty awesome. For example, it has the 4th highest median income in the State. And that's not an average, where all the incomes (even the ridiculously high ones) are added in; it's a median -- literally, the middle of the road. More taxes almost always mean everyone suffers.

I've looked into the school situation, too, and again, I should note I could be wrong, but it's definitely food for thought: New Hampshire doesn't guarantee public schooling because it enables school choice. It may sound a teeny bit crazy, but in all honesty, more choice means means more prosperity for all. That means the freedom to earn without worrying about how much of it will be taken away and the freedom to choose private, public, or a mixture school. After all, the U.S. upper educational system is widely and globally regarded as the best and it's a mixture of public and private. Meanwhile, the lower educational system (K-12) that's mostly public is suffering tremendously -- as are the Nation's kids.

I hope New Hampshire stays the way it is as much as possible. There's no magic to New Hampshire's success; there's an intellectual, scientific reason New Hampshire is prosperous: it's people's freedoms not being infringed.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:35 AM

67 posts, read 366,281 times
Another good article which talks a bit about the aging demographic of NH:
Maine and N.H. are old and gray

NH is now the 5th oldest state in nation!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:05 PM

951 posts, read 1,655,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aponeil View Post
NH is now the 5th oldest state in nation!
I also found it interesting in the article that all of New England is in the top ten.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:49 AM

67 posts, read 366,281 times
I know! I never thought of us as a retirement area since I thought most folks moved south to warmer climates. This is a result of all the young people leaving the New England area due to the high cost of living and too low salary for a young person - especially when you tack on the often excrutiatingly high college loans our 20-somethings graduate with from attending NE schools.
The exodus numbers are greater in MA and CT than in NH, but it just keeps happening. Our NE area is going to have no one to help take care of our elderly before too long!

Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The whole durn country is not going to have enough young people to take care of the elderly. Besides once the young have to pay for education the elderly won't be able to afford to pay what the kids need.

Our society has far too many super rich living off interest made by lending money to each other than we can afford. Reducing their "play money" is one of the reasons I want a truly progressive income tax on all income from all sources. Like the income tax system in Eisenhower's terms but with a 150k deductable.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,472 times
What right do you have to take more money from rich people? Where is it written that they (the rich) have to pay more so that you have to pay less??
This country is upside down, too many takers versus makers. Success of the makers is not a problem for me as it seems for you.
Sad how envy has replaced hard work and education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire