Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 12:48 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,319 times

Advertisements

I plan on retiring to NH in the next few years. I’ve visited Meredith & loved it. Any other areas I should check out that are similar? I also visited all the surrounding “Lake Region” towns. Absolutely loved. However, worried about too much tourism. I’m Looking for a condo or a small cabin/cottage. Love the mountains & lakes. Budget is $350k +/-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 01:21 PM

6,571 posts, read 6,736,907 times
I love Meredith, but you are correct, during the summer tourist season, the traffic is nuts & the downtown is a zoo. Gilford is close by & just as nice as Meredith. Gilford has about the same demographics & low property tax rate as Meredith, but the tourist traffic is more easily avoided over there. Good luck

To be honest though....I would look at midcoast Maine. The low property taxes in the right towns along with the small villages & better overall health care, in general, make it a more attractive a place to retire than NH IMO.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 02-10-2019 at 01:33 PM..

Old 02-10-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
I love Meredith, but you are correct, during the summer tourist season, the traffic is nuts & the downtown is a zoo. Gilford is close by & just as nice as Meredith. Gilford has about the same demographics & low property tax rate as Meredith, but the tourist traffic is more easily avoided over there. Good luck

To be honest though....I would look at midcoast Maine. The low property taxes in the right towns along with the small villages & better overall health care, in general, make it a more attractive a place to retire than NH IMO.
Absolutely LOVE Maine! Exploring that too. Been visiting there for 20 + years. Never missed a year yet.
I’m not worried about property taxes. I pay over 8k now on Long Island. Anything less than 10k in property taxes is considered cheap here! LOL

Old 02-10-2019, 02:03 PM

6,571 posts, read 6,736,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Absolutely LOVE Maine! Exploring that too. Been visiting there for 20 + years. Never missed a year yet.
I’m not worried about property taxes. I pay over 8k now on Long Island. Anything less than 10k in property taxes is considered cheap here! LOL
Seems like everyone is leaving NY & NJ I know a guy who's just about 40 minutes outside of NYC in a decent suburb & he's paying 25k a year on a house worth about 750k. Horrific

Center Harbor, just north of Meredith along with Moultonborough have less traffic & low property taxes. Gilford is nice because it's close to Laconia where 90% of all of your medical offices are located & your shopping at the big-box stores are right there on the town line.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Seems like everyone is leaving NY & NJ I know a guy who's just about 40 minutes outside of NYC in a decent suburb & he's paying 25k a year on a house worth about 750k. Horrific

Center Harbor, just north of Meredith along with Moultonborough have less traffic & low property taxes. Gilford is nice because it's close to Laconia where 90% of all of your medical offices are located & your shopping at the big-box stores are right there on the town line.
Yes, that’s about right for his taxes. I have family members who live in MODEST (500k +/- ) 1500 sf homes paying OVER 15k per year. Mine are slightly cheaper because I’m further out east.

Anyway, Thanks for the NH info!

Old 02-11-2019, 05:19 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Yes, that’s about right for his taxes. I have family members who live in MODEST (500k +/- ) 1500 sf homes paying OVER 15k per year. Mine are slightly cheaper because I’m further out east.

Anyway, Thanks for the NH info!
In terms of a great real estate "value" for a longer term investment it is really hard to beat Moultonboro. As a property rich town with all of the high value properties that have lakefront, the equalized tax rate remains low for everyone else that have reasonably priced properties off the water. If you go back over 10 years, the rate only fluctuates between $7-$8.50 per $1,000 assessed value. I'm looking at retiring there down the road as well, there are plenty of reasonably priced properties near the smaller lakes like Kanasatka, Wacondah Pond, out on Moultonboro Neck Rd, or on the north side of town off Ossipee Mountain Rd. The only downside is the somewhat greater driving distance to Meredith and Laconia, but the route 25 side of town is in the 20-30 minute range in that respect.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:57 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
I think you have asked similar questions in the past, Spanky. Or maybe that was on the Maine forum? At any rate, there are good comments here.

Towns on the East side of the lake like Moultonborough and Tuftonborough have remarkably low taxes and provide easy access to amenities in Conway, Ossipee and Rochester, without some of the traditional tourist traffic that affects Laconia and Meredith. That said, other than a few weeks during the year, I don't think the traffic or crowds are really that bad.

Towns like Center Harbor and Sandwich tend to avoid the traffic entirely and you have good access to amenities in Ashland and Plymouth.

Current tax rates are here: https://www.revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/...-tax-rates.pdf

Old 02-12-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
I think you have asked similar questions in the past, Spanky. Or maybe that was on the Maine forum? At any rate, there are good comments here.

Towns on the East side of the lake like Moultonborough and Tuftonborough have remarkably low taxes and provide easy access to amenities in Conway, Ossipee and Rochester, without some of the traditional tourist traffic that affects Laconia and Meredith. That said, other than a few weeks during the year, I don't think the traffic or crowds are really that bad.

Towns like Center Harbor and Sandwich tend to avoid the traffic entirely and you have good access to amenities in Ashland and Plymouth.

Current tax rates are here: https://www.revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/...-tax-rates.pdf
Yes, on both forums. Keeping all my options open. Maybe a home in NH & a vacation home in ME

Old 02-12-2019, 05:34 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Yes, on both forums. Keeping all my options open. Maybe a home in NH & a vacation home in ME
Moultonboro is a heavily retiree based town, but does see a summer influx. What I also like about the town are the mountainous areas with trails. Red Hill is a nice fire tower trail with parcels owned by the Lakes Region Conservation Trust. You also have the Ossipee Range on the north side of town with trails that lead to Mt. Shaw and other lesser peaks. Also, the School Natural Area has the Loon Center by Lee Pond. A great balance of nice features.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:48 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times
I wouldn't worry too much about summer traffic.There are back ups on Friday and sunday but other than that traffic is heavy but you can get around all right.Keep in mind that there are lots of back roads to get around Meredith.
I love living in Meredith...close to major shopping and just over an hour to the seacoast,airport,and mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire