Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 02:46 PM

24 posts, read 90,734 times

Advertisements

Hello--
We closed on our new-construction house a month ago in Derry. Husband is living in the house now and the kids and I are moving in at the end of June. I mentioned to him that I'd like to get a rain barrel and he said it might be tough to collect the rainwater from the roof as we have no gutters on the house! Is this typical? The builder (through his agent) told us that he doesn't put them on because of all the snow/ice in the winter breaks them off. Is this something that happens a lot? How do I use a rain barrel without gutters? This is all new to me, so I apologize if you're thinking, "Geez, this lady doesn't know anything at all!" :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 03:17 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
I lived in NH for 70+ years - no gutters ever. Never needed them.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:27 PM

223 posts, read 540,082 times
winter roof ice can take their toll on gutters. I have them on my house. they clog up with leaves in the fall and massive ice in the winter. Lots of extra work in having them.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:10 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
I'm a little surprised that this didn't come up during the home inspection or the pre-close walk through, but you might not have been present for those to ask about this.

Most homes in northern New England don't have gutters, but some do. It really depends on which direction the roof faces. Many people have gutters (and solar panels) if the main roof faces south and gets full-afternoon sun. Because of the low angle, it doesn't help to melt 'much' but it will melt before the other side that faces north... The formation of ice dams is to be avoided if at all possible, and if ice and snow accumulate above the gutters, they can be damaged, as mentioned below. Look for temporary gutters that you can easily install on a seasonal basis. These would collect the most rain from a valley-area of your roof (where you could collect from 2 instead of 1 roof. Just be sure to remove it before snow flies (late October the latest).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleN311 View Post
Hello--
We closed on our new-construction house a month ago in Derry. Husband is living in the house now and the kids and I are moving in at the end of June. I mentioned to him that I'd like to get a rain barrel and he said it might be tough to collect the rainwater from the roof as we have no gutters on the house! Is this typical? The builder (through his agent) told us that he doesn't put them on because of all the snow/ice in the winter breaks them off. Is this something that happens a lot? How do I use a rain barrel without gutters? This is all new to me, so I apologize if you're thinking, "Geez, this lady doesn't know anything at all!" :-)

Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,321 times
We have gutters on our house. Just had them installed with heating elements for the ice. I don't like water around the foundation of my house. We have a full walkout basement.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:47 AM

8 posts, read 49,304 times
We are also building a new house, and our builder told us exactly what yours did. We were pretty surprised (and skeptical!) initially, but that seems to be typical in the seacoast region also. Ultimately we decided to compromise and put gutters on the back of the house and a diverter (sp?) on the front, over the front door. Our reasoning was that our dogs will go in and out through the sliders and we didn't want them to get (even more) soaked while waiting to come in. Plus we have a full basement and some neighbors have wet basement issues. Plus we want to collect water in barrels for watering our shrubs and plants. We'll see how it goes!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:02 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,305 times
Proper grading and perimeter foundation drain and you shouldnt have issues with water in the basement and no gutters.

Our house only has gutters over the areas where we have a wood deck. The front door has a rain diverter.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:41 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Proper grading and perimeter foundation drain and you shouldnt have issues with water in the basement and no gutters.

Our house only has gutters over the areas where we have a wood deck. The front door has a rain diverter.

This is so true. Sadly many homes are constructed without proper water drainage. This is where a builder/contracter can forget or skimp on price. And the owner/buyer doesn't have a clue as much is buried in ground and not seen.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:27 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
Speaking of gutters...to the gutter covers actually work with regarding to reducing ice buildup? I mean the ones that the water follows (because of surface tension) but otherwise cover most of the gutter...not just the screens.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:16 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
Same here. We did not have gutters on our new house. Got them installed by East Coast Gutters. If you clean the gutters in the fall and again in the spring, they'll be fine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire