Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 09:04 PM

7 posts, read 7,663 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I came across City-Data while searching for differences in daily living in FL compared to NH. However, the post I was reading was 6 years old, so I decided to make a new one. My husband and I work in the healthcare field and are scheduled for a site visit at a hospital in Lebanon next week. We will be meeting with a realtor during that time. The towns we are looking at are Lebanon/West Lebanon, Hanover, Plainfield, Grantham, and Enfield; all are within/less than a 30-minute drive to the hospital and I am aware of the property taxes (ranging from 1.9% to 2.8%). My questions are:
- do we ABSOLUTELY need 4WD or AWD vehicles for winter? We have an AWD and a RWD now.
- is it better to rent first or buy if we are planning to stay at least 2 years in the area? We have 2 dogs and are finding it hard to look for pet-friendly rentals. For example, there are only 2 apartment complexes that are pet-friendly in Lebanon.
- is it true that we are essentially on our own with regards to trash disposal? Meaning there are no weekly residential trash pickups like we have now? I have read about transfer stations where they charge you per bag of trash you bring.
- just how harsh are the winters? I think that will be my major concern, as I have only lived in tropical areas.

I will think of more once we get done with site visit and hopefully they'll have answers for some of our concerns too, but would love to hear from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 09:58 PM
KCZ

4,655 posts, read 3,602,150 times
AWD/4WD is not essential if you live in town where the roads are cleared of snow frequently. If you plan on living out in the country, particularly on a hill or dirt road, and you have minimal experience driving in snow and ice, then you should strongly consider AWD/4WD.

Generally, I think it's better to rent first just so you can get a feel for the area, the jobs, the climate, etc, but you're right that pet-friendly rentals can be hard to come by.

Many towns have curbside trash pickup including recycling, either as a town service or private contractors, incl Lebanon, Hanover, and Enfield. I'm not sure about Grantham and Plainfield. If you want to throw out large things like furniture and appliances, then you'll have to pay a fee at the transfer station.

Winters are long and cold. Expect snow from late Nov to early April. Temps will be below freezing for several months, and below zero for several weeks. If you've never experienced real winter, that's another reason that renting is a good idea to see how you like living in the cold.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:58 AM

I'm thinking to rent first then buy once we get a good feel of the places we've been looking at, but I've found a couple listings online that I really want to check out in the Leb/West Leb/Hanover areas that are in our budget.

Good to know I won't lose curbside trash pickup. I thought that was a little too much bringing our trash to a station, and would need a truck of some sort to do so as I won't want trash in my car.

If I do accept the job, I'd have to stay a minimum of two years or so to get my experience and not have to pay back for my orientation/relocation costs. We've been looking at moving up north for a while (first ME, then NH) so I'm trying to psych myself up for a long winter!

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2019, 03:22 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,002,671 times
I really love this area. The super hot summers and the brittle winters are what I must endure for a great spring and fall. And in winter we will often have a week of 'warmer' weather. Sometimes to or three of them! Those 40 degree days of sun in January are heaven!

My husband had a light rear wheel drive vehicle and he could barely drive up our street in the winters. The road was plowed and the incline is minimal, but we eventually traded it in for an AWD vehicle. But my nephew drives a rear wheel drive car and has no problem driving in winter. It's a much heavier vehicle, and apparently the weight makes a difference!

I have curbside trash and recycling pick up in my town, but one town north they don't have it. (although I think you can pay a private contractor to pick up for you....) If you end up in an apartment, this won't matter. They usually have dumpsters on site.

Some winters aren't as bad as others. Sometimes we lose power, usually only for a short time, but every 5-10 years something big will bit and we'll lose power for a week. The closer you are to a hospital or a downtown area sometimes will mitigate this issue. And we'll get 'warm' spells in winter - a sunny 40 degree day (or week) that feels like heaven!

And don't cheap out on winter jackets! Many will give you a temperature range - use that as a guide and plan for the worst! You can't beat a really good jacket. And the same goes for other winter gear if you plan to spend time outside, or if you buy a house and have to shovel or snow blow your driveway.

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2019, 07:33 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,872,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjoannarn View Post
but I've found a couple listings online that I really want to check out
There was a thread 3 or 4 years ago. Family moved in to NH. Bought a nice house. Did some remodeling/upgrades. Then few years later got a new better job in another state. So - sell the NH home. Come to find out that they couldn't get their money back. Lost about 40-50 thousand dollars in selling.
Wrong neighborhood. Comps were much lower in area.

Best to rent first. Learn the towns the areas the neighborhoods. And do check on comps.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:36 AM

385 posts, read 342,189 times
I moved to NH from south Florida two years ago. I also was worried about driving in the winter. I have a small Kia Rio and snow tires do me just fine. I live in Ossipee and the roads are very well plowed but even the few times I got caught out before the plows came by, my car with the snow tires did a fantastic job. Slow and steady. They also make studded snow tires but I wouldn't recommend those unless you drive a lot on dirt roads.

Regarding trash pickup or lack of, it varies by each town. In my town you need to go to the transfer station but it costs $10 for two years, unlimited, unless you are dumping big items like a refrigerator or sofa or construction materials. I don't mind - it's a scenic drive and I just put a tarp in the back hatchback part and put the trash on that. In my garage, I have one of those big shiny metal garbage cans with a lid so no creatures can get to the bags until I'm ready to go. There are some private companies that will come and pick up your trash for you. A former neighbor said she did that and it cost $50 a month, I believe.

Winter is beautiful up here, and as was mentioned, do not skimp on cold weather clothes: the investment of a good coat, snow boots, mittens, hats, scarves, etc is worth it. And dress in layers. I do a thermal longsleeved shirt, sweatshirt or sweater, winter coat, etc. Outdoor activity warms you up quick. Believe it or not, when out shoveling, I need to take off my coat and shovel in my sweatshirt because it warms me up so fast. (Same with fire wood stacking). Another must is the spikey rubber grips to put over your shoes/boots.

Rentals are hard to find, and with 2 dogs, almost impossible. Most people told me to rent first before moving up here but as I also came up here with 2 dogs, that was just not feasible and I did not want to have to move twice anyway. A good realtor and Google street view will go a LONG ways to making a long distance purchase have as few surprises as possible.

Good luck! You will find daily living to be a whole new world compared to living in Florida, for sure. A complete lifestyle change but it's a beautiful world and I think you will find the rewards well worth the change.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:50 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,462,000 times
A few comments to the OP:

- tires/wheels are more important than 4WD. A car with low profile high performance tires will do terribly. BMW owners take note. A mini-suv with all season mud and snow tires will do fine. Remember that 4WD helps in starting, but not stopping. How many problems come from not getting moving? Roads are generally cleared promptly. State roads don't get cleared until the snow stops. Town roads often sooner.

-trash. In our small town, we take things to the town recycling center. It's rather a meeting place, where people leave things others might, and do, want. We got an expensive (as in over 700 list) lamp there once. There's even a swap shop for weather sensitive things like books and clothing. Big items like mattresses cost, but just a few bucks.

- winter (and summer) weather. Folks up here either celebrate winter through winter sports, from skiing to snowshoeing to snowmobiling and more. Or they spend winter in the south - probably not an option for working folks. Temp wise, we have lots of temps in the 20s and teens, some in single digits, and a few overnights below zero but not in the day. Way north, above the Whites, is colder. Winter clothing is easy to come by. How much you'd need depends on whether you're a winter couch potato in front of the fireplace or an ice fisher, or something in between. Your choice. But remember it's easier to add layers than to strip down beyond a certain point in summer. Which brings me to summer. In most of NH (don't know about seacoast) summers are remarkably pleasant. We rarely hit 90. Many folks do not have AC, even in bedrooms, and central air is rare outside of new luxury construction. Here in SW NH, we routinely run 10 degrees or so cooler than Boston.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:43 AM

Lucy_C
I'm used to hot summers (100s) in FL, but not looking forward to harsh winters! Will definitely invest in quality winter clothing. Saw an LL Bean outlet somewhere in Manchester so I think we'll check that out. My husband has a heavy RWD sedan which we hope works for us, as we are not really budgeting for another car/truck. Thankful for curbside trash/recycling pickup!

unit731
We have set a low budget for housing as my husband has raised the same points you did: how much we'll be able to sell when we move again. I'm thinking now it will be more feasible to buy, as renting might be too much for our family and dogs. I've been checking Zillow, Realtor, Trulia for the neighborhoods we think we like, and so far, pricing has been stagnant or decreasing $5-10K for a couple of properties we have on our list. I noticed though that some houses sell faster than others in certain areas that have less inventory, so we are also keeping that in mind.

sb2017
Yay, a fellow Floridian! Even though I was born in the Philippines, I consider myself a Floridian now that I have been here almost 20 years. My husband is born and raised here. I'm glad you raised some points that we have been thinking of too, like moving twice if we do rent then buy and the low inventory of pet-friendly dwelling. I have been in contact with a realtor by phone, but have yet to meet the realtor provided by my probable employer. We have been checking out properties on 3 sites and taking advantage of the street view and VR tour options which I think are pretty cool! Thanks!!!

bigbear99
I do have a BMW, what do you mean by "low profile high performance tires?" I have the Pirelli Cinturato runflats which are almost time to be changed. I was thinking of just getting Pirelli snow/winter tires since our projected move will be around late Oct/early Nov. My husband and I haven't really talked about tires. just drivetrains. It's great to hear about the prompt clearing of roads. I am open to discovering winter sports, are there camps or whatever for adult winter sports? I'm pretty sure we will be jetting from here to FL pretty infrequently as we need to adjust and learn about life here. We'll be bringing our emergency window unit AC for those hot summer months as we have discovered about the rarity of central AC in the properties we browse.

*Thank you all so much for your useful input! Definitely making my mind at ease some!

Old 08-03-2019, 07:53 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,462,000 times
For tires and such, Tirerack.com is a good source of info. Here's a link for your tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...eason+Run+Flat

For winter sports, there are many learning opportunities, from neighbors to formal clinics. Once you're there, they'll be easy to find. Other than downhill skiing, none require much skill, and downhill instruction is at every ski area. I should be remiss in not pointing out summer outdoor activities such as hiking and kayaking - the latter pretty much having replaced canoeing. Ponds, lakes, forests and trails are everywhere.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:00 AM

221 posts, read 481,663 times
Snow tires are recommended I will say with any cars. Yes, there are high-performance all-season tires but they are not the same as dedicated snow tires.

But, with that said, it depends on your type of driving, the car, how far you'll be driving and of course, where you live as some back roads may not get plowed as often as the main streets and highways.

I will say when I had snow tires (Michelin X-ice) on my FWD Mazda, it did help quite a bit. Granted, the rear can swing out around corners if you're not careful unlike AWD that can help to reduce such effect but careful driving will overcome that obviously. I love the X-Ice as well as General Altimax. High-performance winter tires, of course, you can look into Hakkapelita's. They're not cheap but supposedly they're one of the best out there.

On my Subaru WRX, with the Altimax, I had no problem plowing through unplowed roads. Where my Highlander would've got stuck even with AWD and all-season tires, I plowed through a foot of snow without any issue with dedicated snow tires. I know many of my friends have them on their WRX/STi along with Blizzak's and Conti WinterContact.

On my Highlander AWD, I haven't had many issues getting around with Michelin LTX AT2 all season though otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire