Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 08:55 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Anybody know how much support there is in Concord for the proposed law?
HB 687 got "Retained" by the House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee, so we have no roll call votes to judge it by, but there's no chance HB 687 can get a veto-proof majority.

After ACLU-NH objected to the bill in it's original (and current, unamended) form, an amendment was proposed and rejected. On Thursday we can expect Rep. Debra Altschiller to again put forward new language to moot the constitutional due process objections.

Even with amendments, it is unlikely any GOP legislator will support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
if someone is threatening to kill themselves, an estranged significant other, or neighbor, the police say they can't arrest him/her until s/he actually does something, and restraining orders have been completely ineffective, I wouldn't have a problem with the police confiscating the guns as long as a hearing occurs promptly.
Once a restraining order is issued, they can just use existing laws for confiscation, no need for a new Red Flag or ERPO law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 12:27 PM

26 posts, read 22,964 times
Hopefully this unjust bill does not become a law. This is precisely the kind of thing that motivated me to leave my home state of MA.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:36 PM

72 posts, read 76,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
So, I'll feed the troll.
Hopefully not as this denial of rights for no reason is just begging to be abused by immature or unscrupulous individuals and government officials.

Furthermore, have you seen what police do with personal property to include firearms? It is treated like trash regardless of it being museum quality or walmart junk. Imagine your expensive property treated like trash and just tossed in the back of a truck or car and hauled away.

If you want to red flag something, red flag the person's mental health based upon diagnosis from a real doctor vs dr facebook and come with a warrant.
Sorry to disappoint, but no troll here. We are retiring to New Hampshire next summer and before we move I wanted to gather more information. I wasn’t asking if you agreed or disagreed with the Red Flag Laws. Just if one thought it would pass in New Hampshire. Thank you to everyone that has replied.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:12 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Would be nice to actually have an intelligent conversation about this.

From https://www.nhpr.org/post/nh-lawmake...-bill#stream/0 : "The measure would temporarily prohibit firearm possession for up to one year for people considered to be a risk to themselves or others."

Here's a quote from someone AGAINST the proposed law: "You know, committing a crime is not relevant to having this done,” Hannon said. “This is basically pre-crime, we haven't really heard a lot of testimony about pre-crime. This is someone being punished and having their rights restricted because they may commit a crime."

Well, um, those people who COULD HAVE been red-flagged were seriously mentally ill. The law would not, as far as I can tell, red-flag anyone who is not seriously mentally ill or otherwise a danger to himself or others.

Again, from the NPR story: Under the proposed law, a family member, roommate, law enforcement officer and others could petition a court to look at factors like evidence of serious mental illness before issuing what's called an extreme risk protection order."

I am NOT just being argumentative here: I am trying to understand what the problem is? Do you really think that, for example, some random person will report their random neighbor as being "mentally ill" so the neighbor is reviewed by the court? And even if so, why on earth would the court accept some random person's "testimony"? I don't think they would.

It seems like common sense to me, so I am trying to understand the opposition. And please keep in mind, I am NOT some total anti-gun person.
some not so random girls of good repute used a similar red flag law in Salem MA once, that worked out well..right?

Old 09-10-2019, 07:04 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
To give another perspective on how such a law would be abused, VT passed such a law last year and last year it was used on an innocent person. Two kids apparently plotted a shooting in Middlebury, VT and one planned to steal the gun from an uncle. A red flag order was used to seize the uncle's guns even though he had nothing to do with the situation. https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ve...elatives-guns/

Old 09-10-2019, 08:34 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Whether or not something like this can pass is up to us the New Hampshire voter. As it stands now Governor Sununu would likely veto any such law. He's been able to shield us from the more extreme tendencies of the current ideologically aggressive Democrat majority in our state legislature. If we choose to replace him with a democrat in 2020 we will be subject to the whims and trends of the national far left without anyone to protect us from it.

Whether or not Sununu gets re-elected is more important than which presidential candidate carries this state in the next election, in my opinion. Not just because of this bill, but also to keep us from getting a stealth income tax and prohibitive small business taxes that will hurt our local economy. Plus little things like plastic straw bans and other fringe leftist social causes that we've managed to steer away from up until now.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:00 PM

233 posts, read 225,693 times
Default as in any state

anyone under the flag law can tell police a gun owner 'scared' him with his gun. think what a pissed
off neighbor can do. when you try to retrieve your gun, the police dept. says 'oops' it was destroyed
by mistake. get your gun cost money back ? like hell........... then we can try a white flag !!!!!

Old 09-12-2019, 05:42 AM

385 posts, read 345,658 times
A huge step in total confiscation with no due process. For all his flaws, he's been good on this and God help us if Governor Sununu doesn't win next year. NH is on the short list to convert by hook or by crook. If you value freedom, you can't afford to play the game of "muh principles" and wait for the "perfect" candidate (in your eyes). We'll lose our state that way.

And for anyone who trusts government to not abuse it? Yikes, what rock have you been living under? What don't they abuse?

Old 09-12-2019, 09:26 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Post The "Betsy Ross" is still an official flag of the United States, deserving the same respectful treatment as all such

If somebody is actually dangerous, it's time to take the person into custody, not their possessions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S. View Post
anyone under the flag law can tell police a gun owner 'scared' him with his gun. think what a pissed off neighbor can do. when you try to retrieve your gun, the police dept. says 'oops' it was destroyed by mistake. get your gun cost money back ?
like hell........... then we can try a white flag !!!!!
New Hampshire has a long tradition of flying the Gadsden and "Betsy Ross" flags.

But when push comes to shove, no white flag for us.... paint it black.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:41 AM

112 posts, read 166,373 times
The problem is, and no one ever seems to mention this, that medical records are private and no one has access to them unless given permission in writing. If someone has severe mental illness, they're not going to give anyone access to that information. So unless a family members knows for sure that a person wants to purchase a gun and comes forward, there's no way to check into this. I'm so tired of people screaming "why are people with mental illness allowed to buy guns?" Umm..because there's no way to check? And also, most of the times with these mass shootings, the guns were not obtained legally. They were stolen, borrowed, or some idiot purchased it for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire