Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 08:32 PM

12,364 posts, read 9,462,379 times

Advertisements

If you want good schools and ready access to shopping, under $500K, and near Pease, Exeter is a fine choice. I'd also check out Durham - the Oyster River school district has a very good reputation. Madbury and Lee, which are more rural and probably a little less expensive, flank Durham and I believe share the school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 12:03 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,196 times
You are moving to one of the most expensive places in the country to live. NH also has the highest electric rates in the nation, which is something to consider if you have electric heat (winters are very, very long). Everything is incredibly expensive, and it's almost impossible to hire help for your house or yard (the labor shortage is so bad that businesses on Hampton Beach now bring in people from Europe every summer to fill the tourism jobs formerly done by teenagers).

Warning: a few towns, like Exeter, have astronomical property taxes. A $500,000 house in Exeter will cost you around $13,000 every single year in property taxes. Exeter also has the absurd "pay per bag" system of trash disposal, meaning that you have to buy special trash bags from the Town (basically, paying $2 extra for every bag of trash). Trash pickup is only once a week, and heaven forbid you have to dispose of something that won't fit in a bag (once a year they will pick up oversized trash as long as each individual item has it's own costly sticker, but you never know when).

Hampton is better about property taxes, but continues to increase tax rates and assessments at an alarming rate.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:20 AM

5 posts, read 6,331 times
Yes we are aware of the staggering property taxes in Exeter :/ .. it is definitely one of the cons. Thank you for the info regarding trash. This is the info that is needed in order for us to make a well weighed decision. Unfortunately, we have lived in two other extremely expensive areas during the last two decades, Southern California and Northern Va so sadly we are use to a higher cost of living. I do appreciate your honesty and will use your info when figuring out the right “fit for us.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:12 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KZinlove26 View Post
Yes we are aware of the staggering property taxes in Exeter :/ .. it is definitely one of the cons. Thank you for the info regarding trash. This is the info that is needed in order for us to make a well weighed decision. Unfortunately, we have lived in two other extremely expensive areas during the last two decades, Southern California and Northern Va so sadly we are use to a higher cost of living. I do appreciate your honesty and will use your info when figuring out the right “fit for us.
If you are looking for a bit more of a rural feel, that is 45 minute drive from the Seacoast I would recommend the eastern Lakes Region towns of Alton and Wakefield. You can find more reasonably priced houses in the $300-500K range with taxes around $2,500-4,500 a year.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 11-14-2019 at 07:25 AM..

Old 11-14-2019, 03:42 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
If you are looking for a bit more of a rural feel, that is 45 minute drive from the Seacoast I would recommend the eastern Lakes Region towns of Alton and Wakefield. You can find more reasonably priced houses in the $300-500K range with taxes around $2,500-4,500 a year.
Here are her requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZinlove26 View Post
We live in a very family oriented area and are hoping to find a similar place where the kids romp around the neighborhood and have friends that live close by.
Not much to offer in Alton or Wakefield. A few maybe. But very limited for her requirements.

Just remember. Driving the kids for all activities gets quite old in a short period of time.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:38 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Here are her requirements.

Not much to offer in Alton or Wakefield. A few maybe. But very limited for her requirements.

Just remember. Driving the kids for all activities gets quite old in a short period of time.
I am not discounting those points, however, there is a large difference in housing costs and property taxes in the Lakes Region compared to a town like Exeter. I am familiar with both towns and Alton does have a sizable number of neighborhood roads with houses on an acre or less. Wakefield has more clustered development on smaller lots on its seven lakes. Alton does have a higher median household income and educational attainment.

OP might want to look into Dover, it is an up and coming city with some neighborhoods that meet your criteria, a short drive to Portsmouth from that area.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:41 PM

668 posts, read 470,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
You are moving to one of the most expensive places in the country to live. NH also has the highest electric rates in the nation, which is something to consider if you have electric heat (winters are very, very long). Everything is incredibly expensive, and it's almost impossible to hire help for your house or yard (the labor shortage is so bad that businesses on Hampton Beach now bring in people from Europe every summer to fill the tourism jobs formerly done by teenagers).

Warning: a few towns, like Exeter, have astronomical property taxes. A $500,000 house in Exeter will cost you around $13,000 every single year in property taxes. Exeter also has the absurd "pay per bag" system of trash disposal, meaning that you have to buy special trash bags from the Town (basically, paying $2 extra for every bag of trash). Trash pickup is only once a week, and heaven forbid you have to dispose of something that won't fit in a bag (once a year they will pick up oversized trash as long as each individual item has it's own costly sticker, but you never know when).

Hampton is better about property taxes, but continues to increase tax rates and assessments at an alarming rate.

concerning property taxes...LOL... stop in New Jersey... $13,000 is nothing....

Old 11-14-2019, 08:53 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
You noted that trash pick-up is 'only once a week' in Exeter, as if that is not often enough. It's 'only' once a week in most towns that offer municipal pick-up, as far as I know. Of course in towns that don't cover the cost of trash pickup, residents can choose & pay privately for a haule. In fact, any given neighborhood could see barrels and/or trash bags left at the bottom of driveways, and a different trash company truck lumbering through the street 5 days a week for pick-ups. Not sure why anyone would want pick-up more than once a week, but to each their own

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post

We are ALL alarmed at the most recent tax bills, which reflect 100% of market value. Voters in my town said YES to every question in 2019 - and now people are griping about their property tax bills. Sorry - elections DO have consequences and in a town of 18,000 registered voters, fewer than 5,000 bothered to vote in March on the local budget... Let's see if anyone remembers this in March (sadly, many folks have absurdly short memories...)

Old 11-14-2019, 09:10 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,623,564 times
If you want suburban or semi-urban, your best bets are probably Exeter and Dover. Durham is a college town, and there is a nice residential area directly across from the school that may fit the bill. If you don't mind a condo / townhouse, Portsmouth would be a good choice (of the 4 towns, they have the most reasonable property tax rates).

Old 11-15-2019, 06:00 AM

5 posts, read 6,331 times
This info is priceless, thanks folks!! I’m so happy I found this forum and will continue to use it as huge resource!! I guess our main concerns are finding a neighborhood that has a community feel where kids play outside. We understand that this desire might come with a hefty price tag. We will definitely stake out all the areas you all have recommended and hopefully will find a good fit for our family. All and all this will be a big adventure for our family and I eager to see how it all pans out. I truly appreciate everyone’s insight- Happy Friday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire