Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 05:59 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times

Advertisements

If developers are building bigger homes on larger lots then that's what buyers want. Don't blame the builders.

As for lot sizes, don't forget, virtually all homes in NH have private septic systems and individual wells. You need a decent sized lot to accommodate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 01:52 PM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,667,429 times
However, you've made it clear you don't like the way things are done in NH or the lifestyle here. Maybe it's time to think about relocating to a place where you'd be happier.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:45 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippany5 View Post
Does anybody know what can be done about the excessive amounts of 1-2 acre lot building requirements? It’s insane. It basically means the only new construction that can be done is houses fit to be on 1-2 acre lots- aka big houses. In concord there was a few developments built on the way to Hopkinton off of 202 and although the houses are nice- they are on big lots and they fetch $650,000+. Not reasonable for any family who’s not making 6 figures.

Is this just the way that is going to be? Are we going to end up like Arizona and Southern CA with stupid shouts of sprawl? Or is this just the ever lasting keep people under 55 out mentality?
Here we go again! NH really can't afford to have more density of single family houses. First, there's not enough profit for the developers to build small houses. Secondly, cheaper (and smaller) single family starter homes don't bring in enough property tax revenue to offset the costs of educating the children that would be living in those homes.

As it is, someone in a town next to me observed that it takes the property tax revenue of two single family houses to pay for just one child's education for one year. And we're talking about nice houses on two or more acres of land.

I would support building small houses on small lots for single and married 55+ people. NHPR had a show on a week ago discussing the lack of affordable housing. One caller lamented the lack of small houses for divorced single older people. And this demographic is desirable because they don't have school age children, so their smaller property tax bills would reflect the fact that they don't use much of the town's services.

Otherwise, southern NH is a mess because it has become a bedroom community for those working in the metro Boston area. Their property taxes keep climbing higher as the Boston transplants want MA amenities such as curbside garbage pickup and MA quality public schools for their children. So... even if you were to get that small house in southern NH, your property taxes would be really high for the amount of income you say that you are making... so eventually your small house on a small lot would become unaffordable for you.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:56 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Otherwise, southern NH is a mess because it has become a bedroom community for those working in the metro Boston area. Their property taxes keep climbing higher as the Boston transplants want MA amenities such as curbside garbage pickup and MA quality public schools for their children. So... even if you were to get that small house in southern NH, your property taxes would be really high for the amount of income you say that you are making... so eventually your small house on a small lot would become unaffordable for you.
SW NH (i.e. west of Temple Mtn) is outside the Boston commuter zone, but still has the same restrictive zoning. I agree with the poster that said some of the need for large lots is septic leech fields, and othesr that say communities fear, Levi.Dunn notwithstanding, that more affordable houses will attract families with kids, thereby increasing school taxes. This fear is even greater for multi-family construction.

The solution? I have no idea. Seems to be a nationwide thing that less populated areas are shrinking while cities grow. Maybe we just live with it?

Old 11-20-2019, 04:03 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Total BS. They are building 2000 and less SF homes on 2 acre lots all over the place here.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:16 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
S.NH makes up well over half the land area of NH, even more if you only consider buildable land.

If they're willing to forgo profit, developers can build smaller houses on those big lots-- even where towns have a required minimum house size, the minimum is usually only around 1,000 sq ft.

Most small towns don't have a fraction of the (hugely expensive) infrastructure needed to support higher density. With well water and septic, you need a certain minimum lot size. Old, narrow roads can't support the commuter traffic when all those new residents drive to where the actual jobs are every weekday morning.

That's the real reason. The lack of infrastructure, starting with water and sewer is what limits density, not just the builders desire for big profits. BTW the high price of land requires big houses to make the numbers work.

Without municipal water & sewer, there is no way to increase density. Where would the people get the water from? There are minimum distances needed between wells, between well and septic, extra space to allow to build another septic should the current one fails, and more. That not only applies to your well and septic, but also to your neighbor's well and septic. When you start to add it all, you get the minimum 2 ac. lots.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:45 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Total BS. They are building 2000 and less SF homes on 2 acre lots all over the place here.
IMO the solution for whippany5 is to buy a 2-acre lot in a NH town he likes, then have a tiny house built on it for him and his family.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:08 AM

101 posts, read 96,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
IMO the solution for whippany5 is to buy a 2-acre lot in a NH town he likes, then have a tiny house built on it for him and his family.
Not that this is about my personal needs, but I’d like a smaller lot and a decent sized house. Density is what I’m taking about.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:16 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Post Much of New Hampshire literally cannot be built out with any density.

Quote:
Not that this is about my personal needs, but I’d like a smaller lot and a decent sized house. Density is what I’m taking about.
See the posts up-thread about density being undesirable, if not impossible, in much of the state.

Personally, I'd go the other direction -- small house on tens of acres.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:20 PM
miu

Quote:
Nonesuch is right. Most of NH can't support the density that you seek. Did you even read his post??

You think that a smaller lot with a decent sized house would make NH real estate more affordable for you, but where would your septic field be located? And your water supply would be have to be from your own well... and hopefully whatever small lot you select, you don't have to drill too deep to get to the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire