Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 02:23 AM

4 posts, read 24,814 times

Advertisements

I'm a native of Colorado, and my wife and I will be moving to the southern part of NH in about a year or so, not sure which town, because I'm hearing so many different opinions on which towns are safe or not! I was wondering if we would start Pahkin the Cah in the Yahd, or if we would "Park the Car in the Yard"? What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 04:13 AM

439 posts, read 721,278 times
Good question morok

Those born in the Boston, Worcester (to the natives Worcsta), Providence and Maine (bumpa sticka)...aka 'bumper sticker; have the most detectable accents- known throughout the rest of the country. An acquaintance I have from Boston, now living in Springfield MA who calls me 'Petah'- his idea of what 'Peter' is- oh yes Pahk the Cah and 'wicked' pi****'...

The Kennedy Family accent is a distinct Boston 'dialect' and cannot be copied....without much 'viga'

When over in Providence RI for the first time in many years they made changes on the roads- and I asked the gas station attendant the easiest way back to Hartford - he yelled over to his co worker and said 'hey Mike what's the easiest way back to Haatfed'..... oh boy....

I have lived in Connecticut since I was 6- and locals say I have no accent- people from the west and elsewhere do detect a definite New England 'twang'.. plus they do talk faster here.

It depends- if you live here long enough, there is the possibility you will pick up a 'New Hampshire' New England accent- which is more 'rye' and subtle- but still definitely identifiable as New England; if you choose to live in southern New Hampshire, that has many Boston transplants- you may pick up on that dialect as well.

Over here in Connecticut- the accents are also unique to this state as well- if they exist at all- they may sound more like that of our beloved and famous state native- who made her home in Old Saybrook- Katherine Hepburn. My 'slight' NE accent however does distinguish me as a New Englander now just about anywhere in the country- even though I do not say 'Pahkin the cah'.....

As confusing as this sounds- I hope it helps.

Last edited by Dragondog; 12-22-2006 at 05:14 AM..

Old 12-22-2006, 09:43 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,678 times
I'm straight out of Boston living in southern NH and I still have MY distinct city dialect "accent" or whatever you want to call it! It's there and it's not going away any time soon, it evidently doesn't leave you at all, trust me. I think you and your wife will always have your Colorado accent.

My younger sisters actually grew up here in southern NH and absolutely have an accent, without a doubt. Some times I listen to them and it's like they were born in the Midwest or something. I'm not kidding you, you'd NEVER know we were born in the same family and it was only a difference of may be 50 miles if that between here and Boston. You'll definitely notice it when you get here and drive through and especially if you get down through Boston. That's when you'll REALLY notice it! I Pahk MY Cah In The Hahhvard Yahd and I always will and no ones telling me NOT to, where my younger sisters will "Parrrrrrk Thheir Carrrr In the Harrrrvard Yarrrrd" all they want and they always will it seems. AND boy is it ever noticable around our dining room table during the holidays!

I'm going to move to your neck of the woods some day in the not too distant future. So, I was wondering, do you think MY accent will be picked up by any one out that way??! Only kidding! I bet as soon as I open my mouth it'll be picked up right away on where I'm from, and they'll be no question about it!!!

Peace and Joy Over The Christmas Season!

Old 12-22-2006, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 24,814 times
Thanks for the Info,
the reason I ask is, because sometimes when people have an accent from the East Coast and they move to Colorado, they tend to lose it and start talking like a coloradoan. I was just wondering if the same thing would happen moving TO the East Coast.. You guys seem very nice, and I am very excited to get out there!

Old 12-26-2006, 07:10 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morockiesmoproblems View Post
Thanks for the Info,
the reason I ask is, because sometimes when people have an accent from the East Coast and they move to Colorado, they tend to lose it and start talking like a coloradoan. I was just wondering if the same thing would happen moving TO the East Coast.. You guys seem very nice, and I am very excited to get out there!
I think it's the singer, not the song. Some folks are prone to pick up regionalisms and some aren't. My faaathah nevah lost his haahd New Hampshah accent, despite years in the deep south and the midwest. My friends in the midwest thought he was British, his accent was so strong.
Some of it is under your control. You can watch your Ps and Qs and fight the accentification to some degree.
My mother was from the south and went to college in Ohio, where she worked hard on losing the deep deep accent, which was made great fun of up nawth.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:04 AM

625 posts, read 2,435,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morockiesmoproblems View Post
I'm a native of Colorado, and my wife and I will be moving to the southern part of NH in about a year or so, not sure which town, because I'm hearing so many different opinions on which towns are safe or not! I was wondering if we would start Pahkin the Cah in the Yahd, or if we would "Park the Car in the Yard"? What do you guys think?
Nahhhhhhh! Yah'll have a wicked ahhhhsum akkksent in no time flaaaahhht!

(former Cali resident)

Old 12-29-2006, 10:03 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times
I've been in NH (Merrimack - borders Bedford/Amherst/Nashua) couple decades, moving there from CT. Love it! Great town with big city conveniences. Looking to sell our home and retire south, though (winters getting to me), and a few trips south have shown me that I have the dreaded new england accent. They drawl at me, "you'all have an aaacent, wherey'all from?" I want to say "I? I have an accent? Have you listened to yourself lately?" :-)

Yes, you will, in time, unbeknownst to yourself, pick up the New England accent. Once you learn to properly say, "you cain't get theah fom heah" ( I can't even spell it correctly!" you'll be one of us. LOL

Last edited by swbtoo; 12-29-2006 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 12-30-2006, 07:04 AM

409 posts, read 1,748,346 times
I personally love the east coast/ new england accent. When my friends here in the midwest told me that they couldn't hear my New York accent anymore, I have to admit I was a little davastated.I love the accents in New England. They sound good to my ears. The southern drawl is what I just can't listen to. It gives me a headache.
Anyway, we're all beautiful in our own way and should be happy in our own skin. I don't think you'll have to worry about losing your accent since you are a full grown adult. Usually people who lose their accents are people who move to a new place at a very young age (which I did when I moved to the midwest) and are still growning/developing. Just like a 50 year old from New York City could move to Colorado and more than likely not pick up the local accent. Just my two cents

Old 12-30-2006, 05:46 PM

59 posts, read 277,732 times
I've lived in Manchester, NH all my life. I have never noticed an accent when I talk. The other day, I was in a Dunkin Donuts in Tilton, NH and two of the people behind the counter kept me there to make me talk. They thought I was from NY or Boston, and liked my accent. I couldn't explain it!!

Old 12-30-2006, 06:10 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
Nahhhhhhh! Yah'll have a wicked ahhhhsum akkksent in no time flaaaahhht!

(former Cali resident)
hahaha Funny. Aaaaayyup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire