Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 08:45 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,826 times

Advertisements

Due to all the snow & cold are power outages a problem in NH? We are looking in the Nashua or Manchester Suburbs. Maybe the Londonderry area. How long are the power outages on average?

Also are they good with plowing the roads quickly after it starts snowing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 08:52 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
we prepare the roads BEFORE it snows....

I haven't had an outage since 1987 when Hurricane Bob blew through. They are sporadic and for the most part, fairly rare.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:00 AM

11 posts, read 30,004 times
It depends on the type of storm. Despite the record breaking amounts of snowfall we received this past winter we weren't without power for any more than 30 minutes all winter. But in previous years when we were hit by ice storms which are usually the culprit for power outages with accidents and power lines falling, we were without power and heat for almost 48 hours. Many years ago we had to move in with my mother in law because we were without any heat source for several days and she had a generator. Again, that was due to a horrible ice storm. We were fortunate this winter that we seemed to escape the worst of them and ended up with tons and tons of snow instead.

Plowing in Nashua wasn't always so good, if you want a commuters honest opinion. I don't know about Manchester or Londonderry. There was so much snow that it was very difficult to see around corners because it was piled up so high and the side roads weren't plowed quickly at all. Kids were walking in the street because the sidewalks weren't shoveled creating a very dangerous situation. Hope that helps.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PupStylist View Post
It depends on the type of storm. Despite the record breaking amounts of snowfall we received this past winter we weren't without power for any more than 30 minutes all winter. But in previous years when we were hit by ice storms which are usually the culprit for power outages with accidents and power lines falling, we were without power and heat for almost 48 hours. Many years ago we had to move in with my mother in law because we were without any heat source for several days and she had a generator. Again, that was due to a horrible ice storm. We were fortunate this winter that we seemed to escape the worst of them and ended up with tons and tons of snow instead.

Plowing in Nashua wasn't always so good, if you want a commuters honest opinion. I don't know about Manchester or Londonderry. There was so much snow that it was very difficult to see around corners because it was piled up so high and the side roads weren't plowed quickly at all. Kids were walking in the street because the sidewalks weren't shoveled creating a very dangerous situation. Hope that helps.
I agree mostly the power outages we had were from ice rain or some kind of gathering of heavy snow on the wires. Also cars sliding into the poles caused disruptions too. We lost power a couple times but not very long, however surrounding communities did loose power for a day or two once in a blue moon. The snow was and is very dangerous out here too. Kids were walking on the street here also because the sidewalks were so dangerous and not shoveled sometimes. The snow banks were higher than my car and I had to creep out almost to the middle of the lane to see around them.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:46 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,826 times
Default Buck

Buck - thanks for this post, but did you get my PM? Havent heard back yet.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
we prepare the roads BEFORE it snows....

I haven't had an outage since 1987 when Hurricane Bob blew through. They are sporadic and for the most part, fairly rare.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
I'm happy to report that this past winter, with all of the snowstorms that we got, we in Londonderry didn't have a single power outage.

Last year was a different story. Many people across the state had horrific troubles when we had a power outage, then a sharp drop in temperature. We made it through the first day keeping warm with our woodstove (cooked several meals on it, yes I did ) but we were able to buy a generator the 2nd day and install it before the temps. bottomed out to single digits and below zero. Many people left their frozen homes without emptying their pipes and boiler systems of water (which of course froze, cracked pipes and in some cases, destroyed the boiler as well) Bad stuff

Old 04-25-2008, 09:49 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post

Also are they good with plowing the roads quickly after it starts snowing?
Certainly not in my neck of the woods, but others here reported their towns being great about it.. it depends on the towns i suppsose

Old 04-26-2008, 01:25 PM

259 posts, read 988,284 times
Power outages are relaively rare here + usually don't last more than a day or a few hours,except the rare ice storms we may have from time to tiime that bring the limbs/wires down. we occasionally do get storms with high winds but the ice thing causes widespread outages that keep repair crews over-extended.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:12 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,760 times
Can't comment on NH outages as it has been awhile since I lived in Windham, but if snow is a concern for walking I imagine it must still be the same. The outlying towns always have plowed their roads, but at least when I lived there which incuded spending time in Derry and Londonderry there were no sidewalks, so you pretty much had to deal with walking on snow/icy roads. Maybe by now school bus service has improved, but I know I had to walk down .6 mile to the stop as they did not go up and down every side road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire