Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 08:49 AM

83 posts, read 114,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well Moultonborough's tax rate is $7.15/$1,000 assessed value, so more than 2/3 less than Littleton.
Yes Moultonborough has a great tax rate. I never argued that Littleton's property tax rate was as low as some of the Lakes Region towns, my only point was that Littleton's tax rate does not stand out as a "very high tax rate" compared to the state as a whole. Towns filled with multi-million dollar properties will always be able to keep their rates lower and buying a cheaper house in one of those towns is a smart way to reduce taxes - I'm not trying to argue othwerwise.

Moultonborough is also considerably more expensive to buy in with an average property value of $451,650 versus Littleton's $197,290 (albeit Zillow is not perfect data) and in either town, if you were to buy one of the cheaper properties currently on the market, you would be paying roughly the same property taxes in the low $2,000's per year.

In a ranking of cheapest towns for property taxes taking valuation into account that was shared with me (I didn't compile the data or fully vet it for errors), out of 189 municipalities in New Hampshire - Moultonborough had the 14th lowest median tax costs in the state and Littleton had the 27th lowest median tax costs.

Both are pretty good. My only point though was that even on rate, Littleton does not stand out as a "very high tax rate" compared to the state as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 01:57 PM

199 posts, read 181,181 times
Quote:
I think priorities are <90 minute drive to Cambridge, good community feel, beautiful, and on the easier side to maintain.
OP is not interested in towns 2.5-3hrs away from Cambridge.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:22 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Rye has some beautiful beaches and Portsmouth has a great downtown. They are a bit further drive from Cambridge than Exeter. If they're going to be commuting to Cambridge every day for work, they should also check out Newburyport, MA. Just as nice if not nicer, and a little better commute too - Portsmouth takes about 20 mins longer. They'll be paying MA state income tax anyway if they work in MA, so no income tax savings in NH, and Newburyport RE taxes are actually pretty decent at $13.08/$1000.

P.S. I live in Newburyport and have been commuting to Kendall Square in Cambridge for many years. It's a pretty rough commute, even from Newburyport.

P.P.S. Newburyport has a nice historic downtown, similar to Portsmouth though it's a little smaller. There is a great harbor boardwalk for warm weather strolls in town, a national wildlife refuge on the east side on a barrier island and a beautiful 500+ acre state park on the Merrimack River on the west side. It's not hard to take!

Some links to the parks:
https://www.fws.gov/refuge/parker_river/
https://parkerriver.org/
https://www.massaudubon.org/get-outd...es/joppa-flats
https://www.maudslayassociation.org/
https://www.mass.gov/locations/maudslay-state-park

Five bald eagles in town, this past weekend...
Attached Thumbnails
NH towns to house shop tomorrow-bald-eagles-nbpt-800.jpg  

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 02-19-2020 at 06:48 PM..

Old 02-25-2020, 06:47 AM

20 posts, read 12,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 247crw View Post
Congratulations on the property! I live in Littleton and this is really an amazing area!
Thank you! Wife and I spent a good amount of time in the white mountain region 2 years ago and have been looking every since. Finally found something that fit our needs! We're excited and will work to keep New Hampshire the New Hampshire we fell in love with.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:54 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 247crw View Post
Congratulations on the property! I live in Littleton and this is really an amazing area!
Has Dalton changed very much in the last 10 years? I know that area is much more rural than Littleton, but it feels quite a bit different due to some parts of town being double the elevation of Littleton itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire