Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 09:52 PM

349 posts, read 320,872 times

Advertisements

I live and work in the Boston area. My parents are suddenly interested in potentially retiring to the southern NH / seacoast region. We are driving around the area tomorrow, and I'm trying to decide whether to focus in the Kensington area or try to go see Nashua. Timely advice appreciated, and apologies that I'm clueless of NH outside of the White mountains and Portsmouth.

I read through this thread, and Exeter, Kensington were most prominent. They have heard of Nashua, so we started searching there but doesn't seem as desirable?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...hern-nh-2.html

They currently live in the upscale NJ suburbs immediately outside NYC. I think priorities are <90 minute drive to Cambridge, good community feel, beautiful, and on the easier side to maintain. Budget is $1.5 million but willing to go higher. They don't need a huge place, probably 2,000 sqft is ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 08:03 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,177,484 times
With your housing budget, look into Bedford, Amherst, Wolfeboro or anywhere along the shore of Lake Winni.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:19 AM

199 posts, read 181,181 times
If you are still in NH, drive through Exeter if you can.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:34 PM

349 posts, read 320,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi.Dunn View Post
If you are still in NH, drive through Exeter if you can.
Thank you for the message. We drove through Kingston, NH and it was far too rural. Then stumbled upon Exeter and really liked what we saw. Nice downtown area, train station, nice mix of housing.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:56 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,238 times
With that budget and those prioritites I would be buying a townhouse or condo in Portsmouth.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:03 AM

20 posts, read 12,746 times
Default Keep NH

Live Free Or Die. I'm closing on a piece of property up near Littleton this week and my biggest fear is a beautiful place like NH turning into NY, CT, MASS. If you are buying or moving into NH there's a reason why your leaving one of those three states. Keep that in mind.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:26 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcorr View Post
Live Free Or Die. I'm closing on a piece of property up near Littleton this week and my biggest fear is a beautiful place like NH turning into NY, CT, MASS. If you are buying or moving into NH there's a reason why your leaving one of those three states. Keep that in mind.
Littleton has good potential going forward, but it does have a very high tax rate. I will only buy in the Lakes Region in the future mainly for that reason alone.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:35 AM

83 posts, read 114,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Littleton has good potential going forward, but it does have a very high tax rate. I will only buy in the Lakes Region in the future mainly for that reason alone.
Although higher than some of the Lakes Region towns (and taxes could always stand to be lowered), with a rate of 23.10 Littleton is actually toward the lower end of average for the state. With lower assessed values, most properties average about $2,000-4,000 per year in property taxes which is considerably lower than most of the state.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:37 AM

83 posts, read 114,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcorr View Post
Congratulations on the property! I live in Littleton and this is really an amazing area!

Old 02-19-2020, 07:57 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 247crw View Post
Although higher than some of the Lakes Region towns (and taxes could always stand to be lowered), with a rate of 23.10 Littleton is actually toward the lower end of average for the state. With lower assessed values, most properties average about $2,000-4,000 per year in property taxes which is considerably lower than most of the state.
Well Moultonborough's tax rate is $7.15/$1,000 assessed value, so more than 2/3 less than Littleton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire