Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 12:45 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
The problem is that the 10-20% with severe cases are going to completely overwhelm our healthcare system.

Other than Washington state nursing home residents, that is really the only concern with this thing. A comparatively decent percentage of those who catch beer flu require hospitalization and their is only so much room in the hospitals.

Me, I keep going out to the Walmarts daily. I'm sure I'll catch it eventually so I want to get it over with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 01:10 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
We were supposed to attend a group dinner this weekend here in NH, but the hosts cancelled it as they came back from a trip in Italy a week or so ago. They decided to refund the money and wait until later in the year when the fear had died down. There's an example of a two people who are looking out for others. My wife who works in the healthcare field and may have had some influence on this decision. She's not one to panic, but is cautious.
That's a balanced view. You've got some people that are frightened, staying inside and hording facemasks, and others that are saying this is nothing to even pay attention to or to justify changing anything.

Things aren't too bad yet, but this is a developing situation and there's been enough experience in other countries already to inform attention and due caution here. I'd suggest people pay attention to what top health officials (e.g. the CDC) are saying on a weekly basis and take sensible, proportionate precautions as they advise. Don't listen to politicians.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:00 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Don't listen to politicians.

Considering that you're the only one to bring up politics in this thread, it sounds like you are the one listening to politicians.

*disclaimer: politics and politicians are two of my least favorite things in the world.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:29 PM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,665,713 times
That link won't open for me. Are those cases in addition to the church attendee and Rockingham Co. patient that I posted about earlier?

Never mind. They're the same two. The total cases are still four, and 150 people are being monitored. https://www.wmur.com/article/two-new...shire/31271538

Old 03-08-2020, 04:59 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Considering that you're the only one to bring up politics in this thread, it sounds like you are the one listening to politicians.

*disclaimer: politics and politicians are two of my least favorite things in the world.
It is all politics and the media is an arm of politics. Part of their job is to keep the sheep fearful and distracted

Old 03-08-2020, 05:26 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
It is all politics and the media is an arm of politics. Part of their job is to keep the sheep fearful and distracted
Check out what's happening in Iran or Italy right now. The crises there are quite real. Hospitals in Italy are so overwhelmed they're attempting to drag people out of retirement and fast tracking degree programs in order to acquire more workers.

Someone mentioned that classes had been cancelled at Dartmouth earlier. To be clear, it was just some classes at the Tuck school of business.

International study abroad classes have been cancelled at many other colleges too, besides Dartmouth.

Just part of yet another vast conspiracy in the minds of some people, I suppose.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:49 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Check out what's happening in Iran or Italy right now. The crises there are quite real. Hospitals in Italy are so overwhelmed they're attempting to drag people out of retirement and fast tracking degree programs in order to acquire more workers.

Someone mentioned that classes had been cancelled at Dartmouth earlier. To be clear, it was just some classes at the Tuck school of business.

International study abroad classes have been cancelled at many other colleges too, besides Dartmouth.

Just part of yet another vast conspiracy in the minds of some people, I suppose.
The region of Italy that has been hardest hit is the Lombardy region, ancient, heavily populated and still reeling from its own industrialized past and the resultant pollution it caused. Iran is also in the same category. Oh and gee, so was China.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:47 PM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,665,713 times
NH's Case #5 is another Rockingham Co resident who had contact with a case in MA.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:54 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
The CDC is advising people to monitor information from public health officials regularly and to make sensible changes in their behavior so as to protect both themselves and others in their communities, and thereby head off a major epidemic here. These are very serious people and they are *not* sensationalizing things.

So far, in terms of what we know, the prevalence is still quite low in the US. A little over 800 cases and 28 deaths in the US. But this is a developing situation, i.e. it's going to get worse before it gets better. It's far better to get out in front of this than to be behind the curve, because the disease is in some ways like a wildfire - once it gets to be a certain size, you'll lose the ability to control it. To the extent that we can limit its ultimate propagation, or even just slow down the propagation to occur over the course of a year instead of a month, we'll also limit the mortality.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:24 AM

238 posts, read 315,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The CDC is advising people to monitor information from public health officials regularly and to make sensible changes in their behavior so as to protect both themselves and others in their communities, and thereby head off a major epidemic here. These are very serious people and they are *not* sensationalizing things.

So far, in terms of what we know, the prevalence is still quite low in the US. A little over 800 cases and 28 deaths in the US. But this is a developing situation, i.e. it's going to get worse before it gets better. It's far better to get out in front of this than to be behind the curve, because the disease is in some ways like a wildfire - once it gets to be a certain size, you'll lose the ability to control it. To the extent that we can limit its ultimate propagation, or even just slow down the propagation to occur over the course of a year instead of a month, we'll also limit the mortality.
Solid advice.

Uncontrolled, rapid spread could easily overwhelm our healthcare system. For example, anyone out there getting up there in age who has asthma, COPD, or other comorbidities is at much higher risk since there's only so many ventilators in the hospitals. Once they're in use... sorry!

Don't panic but don't succumb to normalcy bias either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire