Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:27 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,305,342 times

Advertisements

I live in the upstate , just north of utica. i live in a small town and the property tax is outragous! also lived in another town just a few miles away and the taxes were even worse. we decided to move out of new york this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 10:42 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
it must depend on where you live - my sister lives in the Hudson area and pays very little in property taxes on 37 acres - her total comes to just under $2K. However, the state income tax, the school tax, and various other taxes brings her total tax bill to approximately the same as NH's property tax would have been.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:32 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
it must depend on where you live - my sister lives in the Hudson area and pays very little in property taxes on 37 acres - her total comes to just under $2K. However, the state income tax, the school tax, and various other taxes brings her total tax bill to approximately the same as NH's property tax would have been.
Hi Buck - Hudson is in Columbia County (just north of Dutchess County) and generally has always had lower property taxes than some parts of the state, although I have no idea why. Dutchess county recently had a re-evaluation done and people were screaming. Not sure if Columbia County went through that process or not. For awhile Hudson was a "depressed area" but it was starting to come back when we were leaving and from what I understand has undergone a lot of change for the good.

Dutchess County is closer to NYC, which I think my have had a hand in the taxes rising and rising quickly - it's about a 2-hour commute to NYC via train and after 9/11, we had tons of NYC folks moving in and driving up housing prices among other things.

Columbia County was spared a lot of that as it's a little too far north. Red Hook, which is on the border of Columbia County and Dutchess is starting to see more of the NYC people moving in now, hopefully it won't reach as far as Columbia County.

The feelings of the Dutchess County residents regarding the NYC 'transplants' was much the same as the NH residents regarding the Mass. 'transplants'

Old 04-28-2008, 11:34 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
I live in the upstate , just north of utica. i live in a small town and the property tax is outragous! also lived in another town just a few miles away and the taxes were even worse. we decided to move out of new york this summer.
I don't blame you for leaving. I hope your move is as good for you as it was for us!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:43 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,305,342 times
Unhappy Taxes Make You Crazy

yeah, we can't afford it any more. we have a 3 bed room ranch on an acre of land and property tax is almost 4000.00 dollars a year. i know when i lived in nh we had almost the same thing and the taxes were alot lower. but property tax was the only tax you had to pay so it wasn't as bad as here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire