Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 12:27 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Most modular homes cost the same as a stick built home. The advantage may be the time it takes.
This is where ICF and modular can make a difference in NH, given our weather and limited labor pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 05:14 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
We have ruled out "modular homes". For many reasons, everything we have learned since first posting is negative.

It seems that in the end, the cost will be the same.

Old 01-03-2021, 07:37 AM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
Mind if I ask what all the negatives are regarding modular homes?

Old 01-03-2021, 04:12 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Mind if I ask what all the negatives are regarding modular homes?
Finishing the home yourself, to start. No furnace. No electrical. Installing your own septic.

Old 01-03-2021, 07:18 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Question Are you looking to buy Modular direct from the factory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Quote:
We have ruled out "modular homes". For many reasons, everything we have learned since first posting is negative.
Finishing the home yourself, to start. No furnace. No electrical. Installing your own septic.
Wouldn't that depend on who you buy from and what sort of contractor you use, contract you sign?

For example, Seacoast Modular Homes buys from any of several factories, and then acts as the GC to finish the house, including all of what you mention above.

Quote:
It seems that in the end, the cost will be the same.
True, total cost tends to be similar, though the reduced timeframe (especially duration from first shovel to closing the roof) may be worth it.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:32 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
My husband and I built a modular home back in the late 80's but it was in Massachusetts, not NH. We built a split level home and lived there for 10 years. It looked like a typical wood-frame home, and even the buyers home inspector (when we sold) commented that until he got to the attic and saw the trusses, he would have thought that it will stick-built. We found that the quality was fairly decent and I actually like the fact that it was built-in a controlled environment instead of plywood being subject to weather during the time that it takes to get a house buttoned up (roof completed, siding done and windows and doors installed. These days, I work for a builder and sell new construction and I'll admit that it bothers me to see homes exposed to the elements for those several weeks...

Quote:
"Newer" by New England standards. We would be open to a modular home - many are beautiful and look just like stick homes. We also don't want a house that "needs work". The bathrooms and kitchens of modular homes are really functional.

Does anyone know of anyone who has built a modular home?

Old 02-09-2021, 08:18 PM

3,272 posts, read 1,750,300 times
Saw the title and thought to poke my nose in. I'll be looking for a ranch this year. I need everything on one level as I'm in a wheelchair. I'll find a buyers agent when the time comes.

Old 02-10-2021, 04:47 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,059,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Saw the title and thought to poke my nose in. I'll be looking for a ranch this year. I need everything on one level as I'm in a wheelchair. I'll find a buyers agent when the time comes.

Good luck! The market is kind of nuts right now for existing houses.

You may be better off buying something "close enough" to your needs and having it renovated for your purposes-wider hallways/doors, etc.

On the more expensive project scale, there are a bunch of nice lots out there. It seems the average builder is backed up a year or more though.

I'm leaning towards the last option and building so as to facilitate aging in place. I just need to find a good builder that can do a good site evaluation to see if the random patch of rocks I pick out is buildable or not.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:43 PM

3,272 posts, read 1,750,300 times
Buying an empty lot or raw land and throwing a modular (Not a mobile) up is starting to look like a viable option.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:37 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,059,379 times
Not endorsing the company as I know nothing about them, It does come up whenever I search for local builders. I drive by this house a couple times a week and drove by it during "construction" last year. One week there was nothing, and then the next it was a standing structure just waiting on siding. While a simple design for any builder, this went up FAST and has been occupied by the owners for a few months already.
https://killmountainbuildingco.com/r...-starter-home/
page is a little slow to load even on good internet and computer

Here is a modular home company that speaks about "Universal Design" in home building. Again-I know nothing of the company, but the concepts and ideas in there are neat and seemingly well thought out. Bonus that I learn something every time I search for stuff.
https://www.the-homestore.com/handou...versal-design/

Here is a decent one over the world overview with additional links of "Universal Design". https://www.washington.edu/doit/univ...d-applications
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire