Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,037 times

Advertisements

We're a family of 4 looking to move from central CT to Grafton County New Hampshire. Ideally, we would love to find some acreage (20+) to live off grid, self-sustainably in a yurt and shipping container. We'd love to hear from some New Hampshirites who know where in Grafton County it is most friendly for living this way? Especially regarding to living off grid WITHOUT a septic, and how they are going about it?

We definitely don’t want to break or bend any rules/laws, and don’t want to get fined for anything either. Just want to live a quiet life with our kids in nature. We would appreciate any insight or tips on where to research such info on our own!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 02:08 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,056,736 times
I'm no expert in off grid--just a boy and his truck playing in the real estate market and learning by trial and error.

I won't direct link it as it is a PDF, but I would start by identifying towns without zoning as they may be less restrictive. I posted this into duckduckgo and came up with .gov links. https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=tow...msphire&ia=web

A warning on that is some towns without zoning are looking to implement zoning. Examples I have recently encountered in Grafton county is Rumney, similar in Coos is Dalton. Dalton has gone as far as enacting a "emergency temporary zoning". Most towns have the BOS, planning, and other committee minutes on their websites and you can see discussions there and then go down the search engine rabbit hole of finding out the particulars and reasons for/against. The Dalton example is mostly to prevent business from moving in-seemingly half the town is camper trailers.

Then you have other particulars. For off grid secluded living you may or may not be looking at living down a Class VI road. If so, there is a special level of approval before occupying or building-see RSA 674:41. Some towns put their own spin on that RSA by adding requirements--Campton NH has their own stand alone Class VI road policy that is horrifically more stringent than the state's. Disappointing as I almost grabbed an 84 acre chunk in Campton until I read their policy.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:09 PM

432 posts, read 414,373 times
maybe talk to someone at d acres.
https://www.dacres.org/

Old 03-05-2021, 07:29 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,660,797 times
You’re going to have to comply with state septic requirements regardless of town zoning status.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,037 times
Thank you all for your input. This gives us a starting point.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:47 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,174,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
You’re going to have to comply with state septic requirements regardless of town zoning status.
Composting toilets are legal in NH.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...hey-legal.html

Old 03-06-2021, 09:06 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
"Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, privies (outhouses not conveying sewage by water) may be allowed if such facilities are first approved by the local municipal health officials as to location and construction of the facilities."

LINK

The Class 6 road is a hinderance. Usually not maintained. Therefore usually living structures not allowed. Although there are some in existence that are grandfathered.

The best bet is to find a "shack" someplace. Not to denigrate those living in modest structures. There are some that have no electricity and no running water - here in New Hampshire. Either by choice or because of limited income. Best to find one of these that is already grandfathered in.

Old 03-06-2021, 03:30 PM

477 posts, read 899,754 times
You would not be out of
Place in the town of Grafton.

Old 03-21-2021, 10:31 AM

65 posts, read 88,581 times
"Best to find one of these that is already grandfathered in." is, to my knowledge, big time good advice for a lot of things. I am finding regulations on paper to look quite strong in the Live Free state. However, there appears to be great respect and leeway with preexisting stuffs. And also that "gray areas" are big enough to land people in trouble if/when thinking all will be allowed. AND also that there are ways to seek reason and have it prevail, despite initial confusions. Lots of words to say your mileage may vary :-)

Going a little bit deeper. I am all for your quest. My parents and us two teenagers "went back to the land" in the early '80s. What we had was 25 acres, unreliable water, and an 1800s sharecroper home - no fancy ceiling beams, etc., but real stone, tiny windows, bathroom was not much more than a hole going ito some kind of stone-walled chamber. I did install running water, tried solar. No electricity for the first 8 years. It was fabulous living for 16 years. HOWEVER, it was NOT sustainable - I had a job in town, mom had some income from a trust (a few hundred dollars, but it was "enough"), we were classified as paupers, and when going to town for paperwork or anything such, we ate for a few cents at a communal kitchen (quite salty).

There was that movie not long ago about a family in Oregon, trying to bury the mother, etc, with that guy that was in Lord Of The Rings? Well, yeah, cute. It "works" as long as people are generally healthy (toothache? I had most of my teeth removed, until later in life I got a job in the Capital City, where I was able to go to the School of Dentistry, where they did a job better than the thousands of dollars I had to pay here in the US. Yes, that adventure was in another land)

Or perhaps you have no problem with money, and can turn your acreage into Biodome 2021, full solar, dig a well, etc., satellite communications, and want a yurt and container just for the fun value... However, if money is a problem, I would suggest you look for some kind of house-sitting, large farm or ranch position somewhere away from it all. Montana? Those always come with housing, and also would allow you to put your pennies together and be on the lookout for YOUR place eventually. I am surprised on how few really rural places show up "in the usual places," it might be there are other channels I have no idea of that I'd need to look into (yes, I eventually want something rural, that I can afford :-) ).

If your problem is with regulations outright, let me tell you that, so far at least, I have found those to be something I can live with. OK, in a city in NH I cannot raise chickens unless I negotiate a special permit, but then, I don't care THAT much about chickens, and if I did, the ways to get that permit look attainable. Yes, regulations balk to yurts and especially to containers, but allow mobile homes...

I would think that the very very best strategy, and what a waste of writing to just repeat something already posted, is to look into grandfathering some shack or something like that. Then your yurt is technically not your main dwelling... Don't expect that reasoning will make an inspector too happy, though. (I already built a prototype tiny yurt this winter. Much fun. Will build a better one later. As an entirely temporary building, it needs no permits, though I would never be allowed to use it as my "dwelling" under regulations. A sauna? a greenhouse? or just a place to "camp"?)
Attached Thumbnails
where is it easiest to live off grid Grafton County?-img_20210216_144405453.jpg  

Old 03-30-2021, 05:46 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,742,217 times
IMHO, the best thing to do would be to call or visit the town's zoning office and /or building dept. You can also do a web search for "(town name), regulations" As far as sanitation goes there is an "Incolinet" which is an incinerating toilet. (Google it) there's no plumbing or water involved. All that's needed is a dedicated 110 volt 20 amp line. Before anybody cries "But they want off-grid !!" They do have a solar option.

Don't yurts have canvass for walls ? It gets COLD up here. Like 20 below zero cold. Think about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire