Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 03:45 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoSomething View Post
Well, the definition fits the circumstances:

a person who moves from one place to another, especially in order to find work or better living conditions

Exactly.

Clearly some of you saw "migrant" and immediately assumed "illegal immigrant." But that is NOT what the story was about.

And yes, I would have liked to hear more about the "racist comments" the one person said he got every day, as that seems quite bizarre to me ... but that does NOT mean that I totally dismiss racist comments as if they never happen, because of course they do. Just give us more details, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 04:40 PM

3,269 posts, read 1,748,688 times
The real question is; will all these covid escapees turn New Hampshire in a snowier version of whatever high tax authoritarian hell hole they crawled out of or will they embrace the "Live free or die" spirit we have here ? On the infrequent occasion I overhear a racist comment it's usually coming from someone with a distinctive accent from "away."
(Not to say it doesn't happen.)

Old 04-11-2021, 06:22 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Exactly.

Clearly some of you saw "migrant" and immediately assumed "illegal immigrant." But that is NOT what the story was about.

And yes, I would have liked to hear more about the "racist comments" the one person said he got every day, as that seems quite bizarre to me ... but that does NOT mean that I totally dismiss racist comments as if they never happen, because of course they do. Just give us more details, please.
A kid old who grew up in an area moved away with his parents and them came back when 25, only a few years later is N.E.V.E.R called a migrant . Dont spin anything else in that statement by me

Old 04-11-2021, 06:55 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,760 times
So generally speaking, people who decide to move from one state to another are not referred to as migrants. People move every day for a variety of reasons. It's just life. There really wasn't a real reason to evacuate, relocate, or whatever during the recent beer flu shenanigans, so I wouldn't call them migrants either. Folks moved of their own volition.

Assuming someone is ranting about illegals is a bit much.

There is precedence for the "migrant" term. I chose Hurricane Katrina as a focus.

https://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0912/p01s01-ussc.html

https://www.nola.com/news/article_b8...ef0012508.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4048822/

As a note if you google search katrina migrants you will find several results that debate which term is the correct one to label people.

Old 04-17-2021, 06:27 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Covid acted as a catalyst for many people who were looking for a way to relocate. The WFH or remote working option that many were thrust into opened peoples' eyes to the possibilities. Now, in cases where it proved to truly benefit the employers, many workers were given the option to permanently WFH/work remotely. For those in high tax states like NY, NJ and CT, many have chosen to take their jobs to Florida, NH, the Carolinas and elsewhere where they can reduce their expenses and/or enjoy a different lifestyle/climate.

My spouse is now a permanent remote worker. I am able to do so for 1 or 2 days a week. This has allowed us to spend more time in our NH house and allowed me to ski more this season. At the end of the year I am considering retiring again. That would open up the opportunity to spend a few months in Florida in the winter time.

WFH/remote working was increasing before COVID. The necessity created by the pandemic accelerated the movement. Regarding those who moved to NH because of it, some will move back, some will stay, and others will come. The genie cannot be put back in the bottle.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:31 AM

346 posts, read 358,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Was an easy winter here in Pittsburg we are at 144 inches of snow for the season some 30 inches below the 30 year rolling ave of 174 inches and January ,February March ave 11 f above the 30 year ave. A normal winter will drive flatlanders away.
But the early Spring did open up the runway for early flying ,,,Sweet
I live is Coos County also. Zero houses for sale here, lots of new people it is a good thing as our town needed new people with money to help fixup the houses that no one else would buy. Seven years ago when we moved here from SWNH for skiing and fly fishing there were 70 or so houses for sale. I agree when we get a tough winter there will be for sale signs pop up in the spring, but I think they'll get gobbled up quickly. Something has changed with how people can now work from home. My hope is the new recruits don't change the flavor of our region too much, it's a risk we'll have to face whether we like it or not.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:50 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
Interesting:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/why-...181439554.html
This is one place, but it can relate somewhat to what’s happening in other parts of NH.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:59 AM

26 posts, read 52,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Interesting:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/why-...181439554.html
This is one place, but it can relate somewhat to what’s happening in other parts of NH.

"Little New England town" of Manchester?

Old 04-18-2021, 07:13 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfca30 View Post
"Little New England town" of Manchester?

The Yahoo link says it was originally published on whatever "Inside Hook" is.

Their frame of reference:

but...we all know that "journalists" tend to call everything in New England that isn't Boston a quaint little place which is great for this or that.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:52 PM

3,269 posts, read 1,748,688 times
Get used to the sound of gunfire. Up here it's known as "the sound of freedom." I have a pistol range in my backyard that's good for carbines and short barreled rifles. I've got a form 4 in to the BATFE for a sub gun which should be approved in another couple of weeks. Now if only I can find enough primers for the buckets of brass I've been hanging onto I'll be all set. I cant wait to do a mag dump on full auto and have these yuppies freak out on FB.

Don't like it ? Don't live here,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire