Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,697 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are a couple in our late 30’s early 40’s originally from upstate NY.

We moved to Florida about a year ago trying to escape the growing government control/ high taxes in NY.

Man, it is hot here almost year round and summer is creeping in now- it will be over 100 with humidity every day with no break soon!

Mentally life is great in Florida- it’s a slower pace and people are generally friendlier than NY. Also it’s not a rat race, keeping up with Jones’s mentality. People in Florida work to live- in NY they live to work.

I like the fact that there is no state income tax in Florida and we would want to keep that going.

We have family NY and MA, so we are thinking about NH.

House budget is around 700k.

I am not a huge fan of the long winters up there, but we would probably get to a warm climate for about a month and then come back.

Any good areas or thoughts are appreciated, TY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 09:36 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,626,495 times
Nashua, Hampton, Portsmouth, Exeter (and the surrounding towns) would probably be at the top of my list.

While it isn't Florida so it won't last as long, summers are hot / humid. Some things to check on for a given house, depending on its importance to you:

- air conditioning
- internet access (the consensus is check the individual house, coverage maps are inaccurate)
- city water / well
- city sewer / septic tank
- trash pick up

Note that property taxes are likely to be substantial.

Good luck!

Old 04-12-2021, 06:40 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Lightbulb If you can skip out on January & February, winter becomes less of a slow slog towards spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWeather
Hot days (90° F or higher) occur an average from only a few times per year in the extreme north to five to 15 per year across most of the rest of the State. The frequency varies from place to place and from year to year. They range, in frequency of occurrence, from only a few in a cool summer to as many as 30 to 40 days in the Southern Division in the hottest summers. The diurnal range may reach 40 degrees or more during cool, dry weather in valleys and lowlands. Freezing temperatures may be a threat even in the warmer months in a few of the more susceptible areas.
I'm in S.NH and the above is about right -- maybe a few dozen "hot" days a year, rarely breaking 100F.

While the peak of our summers are hot / humid, there's a fair amount of influence from microclimate, choosing location carefully makes a big difference -- I can drive 20 minutes towards Manchester and experience a 10F increase in temperature even this early in the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_G333 View Post
We are a couple in our late 30’s early 40’s originally from upstate NY....I like the fact that there is no state income tax in Florida and we would want to keep that going.
. . .
I am not a huge fan of the long winters up there, but we would probably get to a warm climate for about a month and then come back.
Bear in mind that while NH has no state income tax, there is a 5% Interest and Dividends (I&D) Tax. If nothing else, this may change how you plan for retirement.

If you can skip out on January & February, winter becomes less of a slow slog towards spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Some things to check on for a given house, depending on its importance to you:
- air conditioning
- internet access (the consensus is check the individual house, coverage maps are inaccurate)
. . .
Note that property taxes are likely to be substantial.
Broadband internet is becoming less of a concern with the advent of Starlink (and soon OneWeb), but if you're telecommuting, gaming, or trading, my old advice still stands -- only way to be sure of having fast internet is to buy a house which currently has a hookup.

As for AC and heat? Personally, I'd look for a house at around 80% of max budget, perhaps one that doesn't already have air conditioning -- spend some of the savings on a heat pump (not necessarily a mini-split, and maybe a ground-source install if you plan to stay long enough for the +20 year ROI).

Last edited by Nonesuch; 04-12-2021 at 06:52 AM..

Old 04-12-2021, 06:57 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,626,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Bear in mind that while NH has no state income tax, there is a 5% Interest and Dividends (I&D) Tax. If nothing else, this may change how you plan for retirement.
Governor Sununu is proposing to eliminate the dividend and interest tax.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:06 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,057,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post

Broadband internet is becoming less of a concern with the advent of Starlink (and soon OneWeb), .
Having just bought land in Coos county with no internet, I'm excited for the prospects of these. The technology should be more mature by the time a build is over. Unlike my rental in Grafton county, it does have good cell coverage.

OP-cell coverage is another thing to not trust the coverage maps with. I should have at least 3G/almost 4G at my rental place. I'm lucky to get any signal at all whether it is Verizon or Google Fi. Wifi calling is all I have, and during internet outages I have nothing.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:13 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,057,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Governor Sununu is proposing to eliminate the dividend and interest tax.
HB210
Bill_Status

HB568
Bill_Status

I don't think that is going anywhere this year.

Old 04-12-2021, 05:03 PM

3,265 posts, read 1,745,602 times
l believe you'd be fine just about anywhere in Cheshire or Hillsborough counties. They're both in the southern part of the state and rural enough if you're looking for privacy yet close enough to urban areas for shopping and work. Good luck!

Oh just remembered, the town of Rindge still lacks hi speed internet. And as stated, cell coverage is spotty due to the hills.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:15 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Hi All,

We moved to Florida ,

so we are thinking about NH.
Absolutely no harm is continually moving until you find the right state to live in.

Some like to live near some family members. Some find it better for family members to be far away.

There is a housing bubble in New Hampshire. Too many Covid avoiders are moving to New Hampshire.
Making real estate prices arbitrarily go up. Also a selling shortage and a rental shortage.

Do read up on the few horror stories of folks moving to the wrong neighborhood or at the wrong time. With substantial monetary consequences.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:25 AM

978 posts, read 674,453 times
Outsider here, but long time lurker of the great state of NH.

Wife and I were seriously considering Florida due to being pension friendly. No state income tax. I have a few friends in the Vero area. Went down spent some time. Everything you mention is true. Laid back, work to live. Beach, inter coastal waterways, fishing , very very affordable housing.
After a while, I came to the conclusion that I don’t want year round heat. That we do indeed enjoy 4 seasons.
Currently looking into Virginia(not pension friendly, but not $$$ either) and Me./NH. NH of course no income tax, but higher property tax, VS Maine low property tax and low income tax.
We figured on doing the snowbird thing for a month or two will better suit us than year round heat.
If your budget is 700K, you can afford the two month getaway. (Tangent time, ) you could always winter in Argentina for less than Florida. Just sayin’.
Good luck!

Old 04-18-2021, 04:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
Quote:
Hi All,

We moved to Florida about a year ago trying to escape the growing government control/ high taxes in NY.

Man, it is hot here almost year round and summer is creeping in now- it will be over 100 with humidity every day with no break soon!

Mentally life is great in Florida- it’s a slower pace and people are generally friendlier than NY. Also it’s not a rat race, keeping up with Jones’s mentality. People in Florida work to live- in NY they live to work.

I like the fact that there is no state income tax in Florida and we would want to keep that going.

We have family NY and MA, so we are thinking about NH.

House budget is around 700k.

Any good areas or thoughts are appreciated, TY!
Just curious, where did you settle in Florida? Do you live right on the coast? I spend a lot of time in NH but currently live in CT. I am debating whether to retire in NH or FL. In either case I would not sell my NH home but was considering living in FL from October 15th to May 15th or so with occasional visits to NH in between.

My friends who moved to FL and live right on the coast aren't as bothered by the heat as much as those who live even a few blocks inland. They claim the ocean breezes moderate the heat. Of course they are retired and don't need to drive to work or take kids to activities.

I just met with a friend yesterday who a few years ago was looking quite ill and was concerned about how much time he had left. He moved from Boston to the coast of FL. I visited him yesterday and he had lost a considerable amount of weight, got off many of his meds, and was a totally new person. I told him he looked great and asked him his secret? He said the laid back lifestyle in Florida as well as coastal living had significantly reduced his stress, the sun and vitamin D increased his mood, and he now walks 5 miles a day on the beach at 6 am. He has a home in NH but after being welcomed with snow Friday he now says he doesn't think he will come back again before July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire