Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2021, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Newburyport, MA
11,804 posts, read 8,911,278 times
Reputation: 15062

Advertisements

This looks like a tough time to buy a house - it seems that all over New England, the supply of listings is low and prices are correspondingly high. I have no crystal ball, but maybe market conditions will be better for buyers in a year? Another town I'd suggest investigating (though not much is there now), is Kennebunk, ME. It's a pleasant little town, roughly half an hour from Portsmouth, NH as well as Portland, ME (it's pretty well centered between them). A couple of years ago, there was a fair amount available there and it wasn't too pricey. Other nice towns in Maine (that aren't close to Portsmouth), that are big enough to have some things going on, but are still more town than city, would include Belfast and Ellsworth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2021, 04:52 AM
 
Location: Seacoast NH
1,726 posts, read 850,172 times
Reputation: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
This looks like a tough time to buy a house - it seems that all over New England, the supply of listings is low and prices are correspondingly high. I have no crystal ball, but maybe market conditions will be better for buyers in a year? Another town I'd suggest investigating (though not much is there now), is Kennebunk, ME. It's a pleasant little town, roughly half an hour from Portsmouth, NH as well as Portland, ME (it's pretty well centered between them). A couple of years ago, there was a fair amount available there and it wasn't too pricey. Other nice towns in Maine (that aren't close to Portsmouth), that are big enough to have some things going on, but are still more town than city, would include Belfast and Ellsworth.



I'd avoid Maine if I was the OP due to the taxes. NH is a much better retirement state.


Many of the seacoast area towns you'd be hard pressed to find a 2 acre lot. Possibly Stratham but it has no charm anymore. Greenland off the main roads may still have a few lots that size. Barrington might be a possibility and maybe the area of Dover closest to Barrington. Madbury is close to Dover as well (for shopping) but I haven't been there in years so can't offer suggestions on that one. Northwood may be another alternative too.


Make sure you check out the property taxes for each town since every town sets it's own rate. There can be enough of a difference in rates to eliminate a few of the towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2021, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Seacoast NH
348 posts, read 217,633 times
Reputation: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
I'd avoid Maine if I was the OP due to the taxes. NH is a much better retirement state.


Many of the seacoast area towns you'd be hard pressed to find a 2 acre lot. Possibly Stratham but it has no charm anymore. Greenland off the main roads may still have a few lots that size. Barrington might be a possibility and maybe the area of Dover closest to Barrington. Madbury is close to Dover as well (for shopping) but I haven't been there in years so can't offer suggestions on that one. Northwood may be another alternative too.


Make sure you check out the property taxes for each town since every town sets it's own rate.
There can be enough of a difference in rates to eliminate a few of the towns.
For the OP...this link/map is great to compare town property tax rates:
https://joeshimkus.com/NH-Tax-Rates.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2021, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Rochester, NH
1 posts, read 919 times
Reputation: 18
Hey Eloyfan,

I can definitely relate to your story. I just moved back to NH (I grew up here) from MA. I had been working in Newton and lived in Uxbridge the past four years and just needed to escape to somewhere quieter. I just moved to Barrington, NH in October which has been wonderful for us so far. It's very quiet and rural but close to Portsmouth (~20-30min drive depending on where you are in town). The community is small so it seems like a lot of people know each other here. I went to the library the other day and they shared a bunch of volunteer opportunities with me. I'll be joining the Barrington Bloomers (local gardeners!). They also have adult softball teams, basketball, yoga, etc. The only thing you may not love is that there is no center of town, so not as many town events. However, we are so close to Dover, Rochester, Portsmouth, it would be so easy to jump into those town's parades and events. Not to mention, we aren't far from the Deerfield fair, which you have to look into. Great event.

Hope this helps! Feel free to message me with any questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2021, 08:44 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,756 posts, read 39,990,822 times
Reputation: 18021
It's a terrible market right now for buyers. I'm so lucky to have bought my place 8 years ago during a low point in the real estate market.

If you can, I'd recommend renting first, exploring NH and buying after you get to know our state better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2021, 09:50 AM
 
Location: WMHT
4,554 posts, read 5,600,479 times
Reputation: 6716
Post towns, like families, learn to put on a good public face and not air dirty laundry in public

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It's a terrible market right now for buyers. I'm so lucky to have bought my place 8 years ago during a low point in the real estate market.
I don't like to brag, but I bought at pretty much the nadir of the previous real estate slump, and am feeling pretty good about "timing the market". I only wish I had followed through on the fantasy of buying a big lot up north and building new, as that would've meant I'd be putting this house up for sale right about now...


Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Looking for a charming small to mid-sized town...A good community spirit. No dysfunctional town government.
You and everybody else.

I will say that you need to do extensive research of your own to have any assurance of community and functional town government, as towns, like families, learn to put on a good public face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2021, 01:51 PM
 
Location: New Hampshire
101 posts, read 95,136 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I can't give insider's info on community spirit or the nature of the town government, but Dover, Raymond and Newmarket are three pleasant small towns in the Portsmouth area that might fit your desires. They're not too pricey, and they have some larger rural lots more towards the outskirts as well as a downtown area with sidewalks and shops. Dover has the biggest downtown and Raymond is the most rural. Full disclosure is all three do have pretty high real estate taxes, but so do most towns in southern NH.
Dover, Raymond & Newmarket are different classes of towns. Raymond is much more rural and more remote. It’s also much less expensive, but it’s not nearly as nice as Dover or Newmarket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2021, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Southern New Hampshire
4,643 posts, read 13,885,151 times
Reputation: 4626
Funny - less than a decade ago, Newmarket was another one of the undiscovered towns. I've been telling my husband for years that we need to get out of Londonderry and into Newmarket - but it just wasn't the right time. Now it's right up there with the rest of the seacoast towns - even Seabrook - and we all remember what that town is known for (and no, I'm not talking about the nuke plant or the former dog track...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippany5 View Post
Dover, Raymond & Newmarket are different classes of towns. Raymond is much more rural and more remote. It’s also much less expensive, but it’s not nearly as nice as Dover or Newmarket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2021, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Nashua
572 posts, read 1,310,354 times
Reputation: 550
I'm not sure about the areas to the East of Nashua, but I do know that realtors are complaining about a lack of inventory. 16 people bidding one one house, people paying over asking price too. An open house was held two blocks from me in Nashua and the street was lined with cars.
On the other hand, people are sprucing up their homes and property as they see it might be a great time to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2021, 09:50 AM
 
Location: WMHT
4,554 posts, read 5,600,479 times
Reputation: 6716
Talking It's a great time to sell, assuming you don't need to buy a replacement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
On the other hand, people are sprucing up their homes and property as they see it might be a great time to sell.
Great time to sell if you have an extra house somewhere.

Not a good time to be buying or building new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top