Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:09 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,938,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Val - When we went to the Taste of the North Country up here, I remembered Greg W saying he had relatives who had a bakery or cafe up here. I started going to the various booths and asking if the people there were the owners and if they were, I asked them if they had a relative named Greg.....I got a bunch of weird looks, then a smile, and a "No, sorry" I gave up after the 4th booth - I figured I was probably being pegged as the crazy lady looking for relatives of a Greg by then

Colebrook and his wife were at the Crafts Fair around the same time we were, but I don't know if we were there at the exact same time.

I think we should devise a C-D ID button or something to wear when we're out and about with our screen names on them - then we could have a 'secret handshake' or something if we run into each other somewhere along the line!

I think that is a great idea!!! It would be so much fun to meet you guys. I hope when we are out there in Oct, I get to do just that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 05:56 AM

586 posts, read 1,501,374 times
Greetings from New Hampshire! We are surrounded by heaps and piles of boxes but we are indeed here!

Meeting Wanna was so funny -- last Saturday I flew my kids (2 girls - 9 and 4) up to NH to stay. I went back to Maryland the next day for a few days to wind things up and I drove my car up yesterday, picking up my mom on the way so she can visit with the kids for a bit. Anyway - I was sort of wrapped up in myself for the flight and not paying attention to what was happening around me -- the kids were understandably sad and on the verge of tears about leaving their friends, etc., and I was fighting off tears, myself. We all know leaving friends is hard. It was a tough day for all of us.

Toward the end of the flight everyone relaxed a bit and I overheard bits and bobs of a conversation 2 rows ahead of me -- someone was going to NH for a reunion... At the gate before the door opened, I heard the reunion-goer say that her husband was investigating storage solutions, possibly renting a condo to slowly move things up to NH over a 6-year period...

I about died laughing - I was sure it had to be Wanna -- I had been following her recent storage thread. So I turned around and caught her eye, and apologized for butting in...I asked if she posted on City-Data and she said yes...I asked if she was Wanna -- she said yes. She said "who are you?!" and I said NDQ, and that we were moving to NH that day! It was literally a 2-minute meet up but in addition to the Small World Factor, it was a great opportunity for my kids to see how you never know where a friend will turn up -- a perfect lesson for them that day as they were convinced they would never make new friends in NH.

And my kids, of course, have now just completed their first week of camp and by Day 3 were asking if Daddy could drop them off earlier and pick them up later. My older daughter met a new friend who lives on our road and is in *heaven* with the swimming, hiking, etc.

Anyway - this was my first chance to check in from NH so I just wanted to say hi and explain to Wanna a bit more about why we were so frenzied that day; we were traveling light so we weren't at baggage claim...we were in a hurry to pick up the rental car and get HOME to see if we could catch the last of Moving Day!

-- Jackie

Old 07-05-2008, 08:38 AM

3,712 posts, read 10,987,490 times
lol! Jackie you just never know, do you?! Must have been fate. I'm glad your kids are enjoying camp - that was a good idea, since you don't usually know anyone at camp anyway so you have to make friends from scratch. Which shows you that you CAN make new friends from scratch. Which camp did they go to??

I didn't have any baggage either, but we walked down through there to go out to the car. I just had my carry-on suitcase.

so have you found all your stuff yet? unpacking and settling in can be a challenge.

GLad I was able to lighten your day; yeah, it can be traumatic making such a move (but MD is such a good place to be FROM ) Welcome to NH.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:51 PM

122 posts, read 312,313 times
NDQ~
I hope you love your new life in NH. How coincidental that yo met up with Wanna on your flight. But don't you think those things happen more often than one would think? There's a lot of "coincidences" in our lives.
I envy that you and your family are already beginning to get settled. We're a ways off from that. But I do hope your new life there is great. If you don't mind me asking, where did you choose to settle in NH? We will be visiting the areas of Hanover, Keene, and Londonderry in two weeks.
Good luck to you and your family,
Nancie

Old 07-05-2008, 07:40 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,953,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
lol! Jackie you just never know, do you?! Must have been fate. I'm glad your kids are enjoying camp - that was a good idea, since you don't usually know anyone at camp anyway so you have to make friends from scratch. Which shows you that you CAN make new friends from scratch. Which camp did they go to??

I didn't have any baggage either, but we walked down through there to go out to the car. I just had my carry-on suitcase.

so have you found all your stuff yet? unpacking and settling in can be a challenge.

GLad I was able to lighten your day; yeah, it can be traumatic making such a move (but MD is such a good place to be FROM ) Welcome to NH.

Wanna and everyone I look forward as well to meet you all! What a kick in the pants! Maybe we could all reserve a 50's diner for the evening! Hopefully it will have a juke box!

Old 07-07-2008, 07:04 PM

586 posts, read 1,501,374 times
Quote:
Which camp did they go to??
She's at the summer rec program in the next town over. My little one is at her pre school's summer program.

Quote:
yeah, it can be traumatic making such a move (but MD is such a good place to be FROM ) Welcome to NH.
Pah! I'm from Long Island! But I might as well be from Maryland - I've lived there since 1994...and haven't lived in NY since 1987.

Nancie, I'll DM you some info including my Realtor's contact info - she is FABULOUS if you are looking in the Dartmouth/Sunapee area.

Jackie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire