Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 10:32 PM

7 posts, read 22,397 times

Advertisements

Looking to make Lancaster our new home, looking for information from folks from or near there, how quiet is town, crime, if any, new developments, etc. How far from Littleton? White Mountain Regional H.S., good school? Any particular part of town to avoid, never been there, appreciate any info you can provide
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 04:57 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4North View Post
Looking to make Lancaster our new home, looking for information from folks from or near there, how quiet is town, crime, if any, new developments, etc. How far from Littleton? White Mountain Regional H.S., good school? Any particular part of town to avoid, never been there, appreciate any info you can provide
Thanks
Hello 4North - We're in Littleton - about 20-30 minutes or so from Lancaster. I haven't spent much time in Lancaster, but it seems like a nice little town. I *think* it's the seat of the county government (Coos County - Littleton is in Grafton County). It doesn't seem like it has much crime or places to avoid and I believe it's a safe community. If you search the NH thread for Lancaster, I think you'll find a number of posts. We used to have a "regular" who posted here and lives in Lancaster (or at least he did) - you could even search for posts by nhyrnut - If I remember correctly, he had a number of very informational posts on Lancaster.

If you're not used to cold and snow, I would highly recommend you rent first before buying. Even if you are used to cold and snow, if you're coming from an area with a bigger population, I would also recommend you rent first, to be sure you like the smaller town atmosphere, location, etc.

We don't have kids in school, so I can't comment on the schools. Lancaster does have a hospital in town, though, I believe, which I *think* is Weeks Medical Center.

Here's a link to the Town of Lancaster site: Town of Lancaster, NH

Hope this helps!

Old 05-13-2008, 05:54 AM

7 posts, read 22,397 times
Dare-to-Dream,

Thanks, will check out site and keep searching.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:42 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
the only times I've been to Lancaster is to go to the Lancaster Fair. It's a great fair, but the trip is a long one.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:43 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
Lancaster is a nice small town as mentioned above. The Lancaster Fair every summer/fall is a must do. You'll do most of your shopping down in Littleton which has WalMart, Home Depot, etc. For "mall" shopping you'll be driving 2+ hours down to Concord/Manchester or Burlington, VT.
As far as WMRHS, as far as I know it's OK. I have a friend who went there and he does all right for himself! I'm a firm believer in school is what you make of it. If you're kids are motivated and work hard, they'll do well. WMRHS (http://www.whitemountains.k12.nh.us/index3.htm - broken link)
If schools are important, you could consider looking just across the river in Vermont at Lunenburg..kids there have the option of going to St. Johnsbury Academy which is a phenomenal school. St. Johnsbury

Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,719 times
Default Lancaster

My family is also looking in Lancaster. We'll use it as a weekend and vacation place then eventually we'd like to move to the area. We still have a child in school so it'll be a few years till a permanent move.

Any thoughts on the town? People, things to do, schools, crime, etc.?

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2012, 11:53 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allykay View Post
My family is also looking in Lancaster. We'll use it as a weekend and vacation place then eventually we'd like to move to the area. We still have a child in school so it'll be a few years till a permanent move.

Any thoughts on the town? People, things to do, schools, crime, etc.?

Thanks!
It is a good town, especially by Coos County standards. It is the county seat and has a hospital right outside of town. The population is fairly spread out with a small town center and Downtown area with a few neighborhood streets and a large number of rural roads with large lot properties "Out East." If you get on google maps you will see the network of roads out there which includes North road, Grange road, etc. It is a short drive to Littleton which has more amenities including a larger Main Street and big box shopping along with I-93 access. Outdoor opportunities are everywhere with lots of hiking in the White Mountain National Forest. The negatives would be the longer winter season (for some), long distance to any airport of decent size (Manchester), higher costs for heating, and the insularity (not too many outsiders move into the area).

Old 05-11-2012, 01:56 PM

64 posts, read 128,133 times
My family and I have been living in Lancaster for 2 and a half years now and we love it. I live "out East" and the biggest draw back is the lack of cable internet. We don't mind the drive to shop as we like to drive anyway. We are the kind of people who get into the vehicle and see where we end up. LOL

There are a few bars/pubs in town but we don't frequent them so I cannot say much about the clientele.

I work at the hospital and find it to be great for most things. If it is something that needs more technology or specialized services, we ship out to Dartmouth for the most part. We have outpatient cardiac services and a chemotherapy unit. Fresnius (?) has an outpatient dialysis unit leased in the building as well.

The schools are good as well, however I only have one in pre-K right now so I cannot speak to the higher grades. Colonel Town community center has a lot of things for the kiddos to do. There is a pool and ball fields with leagues in the summer.

The outdoors opportunities are abundant and the views are amazing. Wildlife is plentiful and they can be very picturesque.

We moved from Wisconsin and have not regretted it at all. But, then we are not ones to crave a roaring nightlife. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire