Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 10:01 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,625,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drums25 View Post
Hi,
My wife & I are looking to move to NH. We’ve visited the “Lake Region” many times. However, we are looking to explore other areas of NH.

We are not looking for the city life. Although, nothing too rural. A country like setting, with a 10-15 drive +/- to local stores.
Schools are not an issue. Work is not an issue either, as we will be retiring soon. Obviously a safe town.
A condo would be ideal or a small ranch. Budget between 400k-500k I know inventory is low & it’s a sellers market.

Thanks! Open to all suggestions!
Three areas you probably want to check out: Lebanon, Concord, and Dover. Each of these has a hospital and large enough local population that amenities will be close by.

If being in the cities themselves is more urban than you want, you don't have to go far out of town to get something much more rural. However, do consider travel time to an emergency room when it's snowing.

Good luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 05:31 AM

53 posts, read 83,176 times
Valerie:
Thanks for the lengthy reply!
Exactly what I’m looking for +/-:
1) 10-15 minutes to shopping stores
2) Less than 30 min to a major hospital
3) Definitely NOT well water (Use water delivery service anyway)
4) Public town garbage pick up
5) As far as “Country”, I guess I answered that in #1 & #2, lol. I need “civilization” around my home. However, not tied up in traffic every time I leave the house. (Hope that makes sense, lol)
6) Schools, jobs, airports are not an issue

Hard to find, but my “dream” home is a free standing ranch (not big at all) in a condo development, with condo amenities: Snow pick up, lawn, ect.

DEFINITELY one level.

As far as time frame, I can buy tomorrow or within the next 4 years. I do plan on making 2-3 trips by years end to search towns. I can usually tell if a town “feels like home” rather than a Real Estate agent taking me to towns I have absolutely no interest in. However, your suggestions will also narrow down my search. Bottom line, I like to do my own research first.

I greatly appreciated your time & input!

Last edited by drums25; 07-15-2021 at 05:50 AM..

Old 07-15-2021, 07:26 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,204,944 times
I always think the best thing to do is actually drive around the state you want to move to.

Rent a VRBO home base, centrally located, and drive around.
Contact Chambers of Commerce, etc, and get info on demographics, costs, etc.
Even contact local Police Departments as you narrow down areas of interest. They can tell you generally if a place is quiet or if there are problems. (this is public info...not names.....but the general nature of their calls).

Where do you live now? Spend some time in NH in the winter.....unless you already know what you're getting into!

Good luck.....

Old 07-15-2021, 07:35 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,529,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I always think the best thing to do is actually drive around the state you want to move to.

Rent a VRBO home base, centrally located, and drive around.
Contact Chambers of Commerce, etc, and get info on demographics, costs, etc.
Even contact local Police Departments as you narrow down areas of interest. They can tell you generally if a place is quiet or if there are problems. (this is public info...not names.....but the general nature of their calls).

Where do you live now? Spend some time in NH in the winter.....unless you already know what you're getting into!

Good luck.....
I live on Long Island, NY. I’m use to the winters. Love winter actually! The summers here are getting brutal! 95+++ ALL MONTH! With ridiculous humidity! We won’t even talk about the traffic & pot holes here, lol. Property taxes are higher than the National average in NH, but not like here! Ridiculous!

Old 07-15-2021, 08:14 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,928,283 times
The Lakes area is pretty, but whenever I've been there the traffic has been terrible. But I noticed you are asking about other areas, not specific towns. One place you might check out is the Monadnock region. Also very scenic, with a surprising little arts scene in Petersborough, and several other neat towns. A bit of a drive to the nearest freeway, however, if that matters.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:23 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,928,283 times
Quote:
Valerie:
5) As far as “Country”, I guess I answered that in #1 & #2, lol. I need “civilization” around my home. However, not tied up in traffic every time I leave the house. (Hope that makes sense, lol)

Hard to find, but my “dream” home is a free standing ranch (not big at all) in a condo development, with condo amenities: Snow pick up, lawn, ect.

DEFINITELY one level.
!
So you'll be "in town", otherwise you're mostly likely on a well / septic and more than 10 minutes from shopping. Garbage pick up I think is mostly done by private companies.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:19 AM
KCZ

4,666 posts, read 3,660,797 times
Quote:
Valerie:

DEFINITELY one level.

As far as time frame, I can buy tomorrow or within the next 4 years. I do plan on making 2-3 trips by years end to search towns. I can usually tell if a town “feels like home” rather than a Real Estate agent taking me to towns I have absolutely no interest in. However, your suggestions will also narrow down my search. Bottom line, I like to do my own research first.

I greatly appreciated your time & input!

Somebody mentioned the Lebanon area earlier. It has 1 and 2, as well as 3 and 4 if you're right in Lebanon or Hanover, but homes are pricey there. Once you start looking at the smaller surrounding towns, you're not going to find 3, probably not 4, maybe not 5, and not a ranch in a condo development. I'd look at the towns within 20 minutes of Concord or the Monadnock area. You also need to be aware that coverage for high speed internet and cell service are incomplete at best, so take those into account during your search.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:59 AM

53 posts, read 83,176 times
As the OP. How is Lanconia? I’ve driven past there many times.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:06 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,056,736 times
I'm sure someone has a better view on Laconia as all I do is drive through it-usually when I want to take the scenic route home versus the interstate. IMO the northern or western part wouldn't be bad to live in. The patch along Business 3 between Belmont and the town center looks kind of trashy to me though. I think there are some condos on the north side along 11B.

Traffic gets kind of slow in the summer on Business 3 and by the Weirs Beach entrance, but not horrible and you can bypass most of it. Laconia is home to Bike Week, but that isn't too painful. It is right next door to Gilford with a Walmart, Hannafords, Shaws, and Lowes. There is a hospital in town-believe they were just bought out by Concord Hospital. Quite a few resteraunts nearby and it is just a quick trip down US 3 to hit I93.

Old 07-18-2021, 02:35 PM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Eh, it's got more stuff than two of the towns I posted up thread. Probably twice as much. Not sure why anyone would go all the way to Concord when you have to pass through Tilton to get there. Lakes Region towns closing up in winter is a normal thing. I grew up with that on the Cape, so it doesn't even draw a raised eyebrow from me.

In the lens of things to do, I could be happy there/around there. Of course I'm having a house built in a town with no police department, no post office, and only one small local store, so I might be the one that is "off" here.
That sounds like Acworth.

Personally, I'd be fine with a town with no amenities, no Dunkin Donuts or Aroma Joes. Let other towns deal with the traffic congestion and needing traffic signals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire