Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 07:26 AM

15 posts, read 21,188 times

Advertisements

If commute is taken out of equation, what would be good place among Dover, Durham, Exeter or any surrounding areas around them or even Portsmouth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2021, 08:22 AM

15 posts, read 21,188 times
I think its the congested area with seemingly short ceilings. Most of them don't have any foyer. Don't see any brick houses. Houses are very expensive as compared to many other areas with proximity to Boston like places.

Old 10-02-2021, 09:28 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
You'll probably have better luck outside of the downtown areas. E.g., here's a new house in south Dover with a foyer and at least partial brick (it's new construction, so you may be able to get all brick):

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M92402-44318

Here's a new construction in Hampton Falls:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M98554-50586

I'll mention a couple of things that may or may not be of concern to you, it is to some folks.

1) Seabrook nuclear power plant is in the area (Seabrook NH, on the border with MA)
2) There's a superfund cleanup site in Greenland, on the border with Portsmouth

The whole area (Dover / Durham / Exeter / Portsmouth / etc.) is nice, and the schools are well rated, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. But the homes are mostly older, and not all of them are well maintained, so finding one anywhere in the area that meets all your criteria is just a matter of legwork. Newer construction outside of the city centers is probably your best bet. Keep in mind that will probably mean well and septic rather than city water / sewer, if that matters to you.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by jdhpa; 10-02-2021 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-02-2021, 08:28 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Howdy & sorry for the slow reply. I've been away from the forum for awhile and trying to respond to the different threads that I've missed.

So... I see that you are looking for a town recommendation that is more or less equidistant to Dover, NH & Andover or Lowell, MA. I don't kniw where you are moving from - but IF POSSIBLE please do consider renting before buying. Yes, moving 2x is a big inconvenience - but buying in the wrong community is even more inconvenient...

That said, some of the towns that I would recommend putting on your list would include Exeter, Stratham or Newfields, any of the 3 Oyater River District towns (Durham, Madbury or Lee), North Hampton or Hampton Falls. All of these towns have highly regarded school districts, easy to Rte 101 and Dover (which you said is more important to be closer to than the MA towns).

If we were working together, I would also be asking about some of your preferences on amenities, important considerations like public water & sewer vs. private well & septic system; municipal trash & recycling availability or self-transport to the transfer station (aka the dump) and even oil vs propane vs natural gas availability. Do you prefer a walkable neighborhood with sidewalks or a home on a large lot with privacy?

I would also ask what types of local amenities do you prefer within 10 minutes, 30 minutes and 1 hour from home. Locally owned coffee shops & restaurants? A Whole Foods, Trader Joes or Costco? Fitness center or theater? So many considerations... I look forward to seeing some additional posts from you and what others have answered

Old 10-04-2021, 01:43 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Lowell is a lot further than Andover, especially during commuting times, so it would be nice to get that difference squared away.

With a budget to $2 million, I would rent for now and build a new house on the water in Newmarket, Newfields or Greenland.

Old 10-04-2021, 02:11 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,581 times
Really check the tax implications of living in NH vs MA. I don't know if things have changed, but MA charged taxes based on combined income, so even the NH would be included to set the tax rate. Also, due to the fact that NH has no income taxes, it has a lot of fees and really high property taxes.

I agree to rent before buying. We've lived in 4 very different communities in the area and knowing what I know now, I would have never bought where we are (Exeter area). There's nothing wrong here, it just we don't get the community vibe and the town policies. It's personal.

Last edited by Merjolie8; 10-04-2021 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-04-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post

...but MA charged taxes based on combined income, so even the NH would be included to set the tax rate.

Definitely not true.

Old 10-04-2021, 02:26 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Definitely not true.
Maybe I didn't explain it correctly. MA doesn't charge taxes on the NH income, but takes it into account to set the tax rate.

Disclaimer: This is a fictional example, so the numbers are not real, only explaining the issue. So let's say you make $50K in MA and $50K in NH. The tax rate in MA for $50K is 6%, but for $100K is 8%. MA would charge you 8% of your $50K MA income.

Old 10-04-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Maybe I didn't explain it correctly. MA doesn't charge taxes on the NH income, but takes it into account to set the tax rate.

Disclaimer: This is a fictional example, so the numbers are not real, only explaining the issue. So let's say you make $50K in MA and $50K in NH. The tax rate in MA for $50K is 6%, but for $100K is 8%. MA would charge you 8% of your $50K MA income.

Again, no, please stop.

Massachusetts has a flat tax of 5.1% on both earned (salaries, wages, tips, commissions) and unearned (interest, dividends, and capital gains) income.

Old 10-04-2021, 02:43 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
Quote:

If I'm reading this correctly, the tax rate in MA is a flat 5%:

https://www.mass.gov/guides/personal...-for-residents

I've never lived there, so maybe there's more to it than that, but that's how I read it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire