U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 03:38 PM

46,068 posts, read 41,125,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
I'm a walking tick borne disease test patient. Just pulled the third one out of me today. Picking them up in Coös county and bringing them back south. This is despite bug repellent and changing clothes.

I'm about to break out my uniforms as they are all pemethrin impregnated.
I scratched on in my sleep I didn't notice on my hip. A year later the head became a cyst that got infected right after the whole covid/vax thing and I had to have it surgically removed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 12:56 PM

916 posts, read 664,432 times
Saw some deer flies last week. I really hate those things. They force me to wear hats while outside and I hate wearing hats.

Hanged some cups already, and need to put some more out. I put them up late last year, but they seemed to make a dent and typically within three weeks, I would have to replace them as they were covered.

Old 06-02-2022, 07:33 AM

218 posts, read 337,351 times
Two tricks for getting rid of deer flies:

- Put a couple dog **** bags in a five gallon pail, secure the lid, drill a few 1/4'' holes in the lid.

- Put a strip of double sided duct tape on your hat.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:47 PM
KCZ

4,293 posts, read 2,708,476 times
The ticks have become just terrible here. Does anyone have any experience/advice on any of the "natural" repellents, like cedar oil or lemongrass oil, for the yard? I can't use permethrin here because we're right on the water, and I'm wary of spraying anything toxic around the house because of my parrot. TIA.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:06 AM

No experience sorry. I definitely understand the aversion to chemicals. My Dad swears by the Farmer's Almanac mouthwash, stale beer, and epsom salts for yard mosquito spray, but I haven't gone that far yet.

I did see this but no idea if they work: https://www.farmersalmanac.com/7-nat...ecommendations

ETA: also this, and I'm wondering what will work in NW NH-planning my garden now. https://www.farmersalmanac.com/what-...ecommendations

Blue cup from the other day. Not very impressive and not many flies. Last year I augmented the ones around my house with little chunks of leftover meat and it seemed to spice things up. These cups are up on my property and not at the place I'm renting-have only seen a couple of flies near Squam.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:23 AM
KCZ

Quote:
No experience sorry. I definitely understand the aversion to chemicals. My Dad swears by the Farmer's Almanac mouthwash, stale beer, and epsom salts for yard mosquito spray, but I haven't gone that far yet.

I did see this but no idea if they work: https://www.farmersalmanac.com/7-nat...ecommendations

Tx. I keep seeing that natural oils are recommended, but it would be hugely expensive to buy aromatherapy oils and use them to treat the yard and deck, etc. Just need to find the right product.

Old 07-16-2022, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Blue cup from the other day. Not very impressive and not many flies. Last year I augmented the ones around my house with little chunks of leftover meat and it seemed to spice things up. These cups are up on my property and not at the place I'm renting-have only seen a couple of flies near Squam.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but man it makes me feel better.

Old 07-16-2022, 07:32 AM
KCZ

Update on the tick situation... I purchased Wondercide, specifically their cedar oil product, and sprayed twice all around the yard, buildings, lawn, bushes, etc. and it seems to have helped. I don't know if the results are all attributable to the spray vs the warmer temps and more weed-whacking and limb-trimming so YMMV.. I also learned that the Pure Solutions guys use a rosemary-peppermint-wintergreen oil mix in their spray but they charge $$$.

Old 07-16-2022, 08:31 AM

If you use it again early next year, I would be interested in the results.

Ticks seemed to have calmed down with the warmer weather, but I am still in full bug spray mode when I go into the woods, and strip down in the garage/take a shower immediately upon coming home to further check for ticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire