U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2007, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 16,913 times

Advertisements

Hi. I just joined the forum, and I've been reading a lot of your posts. Everyone seems to have a great amount of information, and is very friendly and helpful.

I hope you can help me. I am out of college, doing research for a television pilot I'm writing. The show takes place in a small, warm New England town. Unfortunately, I began writing before I ever moved to New England (I'm from New York City). I just used memories from family vacations when I was younger. I decided to set the show in New Hampshire. But, after living in Manchester for about a year...I know it does not have the small town New England atmosphere I'm looking to capture.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any small towns in New Hampshire, that have a very classic, almost Robert Frost feel to them.

Also, I'm interested in finding out, if there are any towns that are politically open, or moderate. No one favors a Democrat or a Republican, but the most honest, thoughtful person for the job. (The show isn't about politics, but it does give me a sense of a community's values, etc.)

Also, could someone give me an idea about how accepted gays are in the state, especially in the state's smaller communities.

Thanks so much everyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 05:23 PM

121 posts, read 531,714 times
Robert Frost? How about Hanover then, where he attended Dartmouth College. Must have rubbed off on him a bit.

http://www.hanoverchamber.org/uploadimages/StreetFest05-025lg.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-05-2007, 10:10 AM

104 posts, read 438,009 times
Tamworth! It is the quintessential New England village. It is also in a beautiful, unspoiled setting.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:30 PM

259 posts, read 921,406 times
Nearly any small town in NH would fit your bill. As far as accepting gay people, as long as you don't insist on jamming it in peoples faces you'll be accepted. We have an openly gat town councillor + more recently his parner too. I think most people are very accepting here of "it's your life, live as you wish. Provincetown MA or Ogunquit ME is where you want to be if it's importantto you to hold hands with your partner on Main St. Otherwise, about any small town fits your bill. They get a bit more backward in the extreme north. Feel free to e-mail me with further questions. What are your interests? Wildlife, boating, canoeing, camping, night life?

Old 01-07-2007, 09:01 AM

625 posts, read 2,312,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthangel1776 View Post
Tamworth! It is the quintessential New England village. It is also in a beautiful, unspoiled setting.
Maybe TOO small? How about Conway, or is that too touristy with all the Mass-"<ahem>" coming up every weekend?

Still, Moat Mountain Brewery is up there, and that makes the trip TOTALLY worthwhile (mmmm...blueberry beer....)

If you want NH "feel", stay away from the seacoast, sadly--it's Mass-lite.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 24,133 times
If you're not dedicated to NH, Manchester VT is a very quintessential New England town.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:39 PM

625 posts, read 2,312,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixsechik View Post
If you're not dedicated to NH, Manchester VT is a very quintessential New England town.
Depends on your politics...then again, VT was pretty moderate until all the flatlanders started showing up.

Anyone ever watch NEWHART? That was actually a darned funny show and put New England in a funny (yet positive) light.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:58 PM

890 posts, read 2,679,255 times
I loved that show! And for awhile, it was being shown in reruns on TVLand or something. I wish they would bring it back. I loved the quirky characters, and the writing was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire