Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 03:39 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskGirl View Post
In all my research, I managed to miss this website!

Actually, I'm leaning toward off grid. So grey water rather than septic seems to be my biggest challenge...as far as zoning goes.

Will be digging into this further.

Appreciate all the support.
I quite like what I have seen from them. The company has been around for some 50 years. They have a lot of clear, detailed information - good transparency and professional. Their standard components for the stock plans - you can see that they are trying to put together a home that will be energy efficient and will last, for a moderate price... and indeed, the clues on their pricing look competitive. The style of the homes is traditional New England, so these would fit right into a neighborhood of homes built in the 1800s in a small town.

Can you not use a septic system for waste water on an off-grid house? It doesn't need any power to work that I know of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 03:46 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Post Primitive Living may not work with septic, but it's not really compatible with living in NH, period.

Quote:
Actually, I'm leaning toward off grid. So grey water rather than septic seems to be my biggest challenge...as far as zoning goes.

Will be digging into this further.

Appreciate all the support.
In what way is "septic system" incompatible with "off-grid"? Or are you talking not just simply off-the-grid, but going entirely primitive?

NHDES regulates all wastewater disposal and holding systems, statewide.

One alternative, at least in towns with relaxed/no zoning, is composting toilets and a greywater system -- while graywater recycling, within certain limits, is legal in New Hampshire, it's often easier to just get approval for a septic system.

Old 03-24-2023, 01:29 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
it's often easier to just get approval for a septic system.

The septic approval for my house was a zero effort game for me. Super painless 1800 gallon two tank system with a drain field. Would be nice to put it to work if my house ever gets done.

Me, my builder, the dirt work dude/installer, and the septic designer showed up on my lot one morning. Dirt work guy dug a hole, designer hopped in, played with a shovel, scribbled stuff in his book, and we all parted ways.

I signed and scanned something saying I was the owner back to my builder. A week later, my approved plan for construction was on the NHDES site.

The installer did the install which shifted one of the tanks, so the designer came out on his own, adjusted the plan and submitted the 'as built' plan.

The next day the state showed up, saw the install, noted that is was the appropriate distance from the planned well location, and the approval for use was online that evening.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:38 PM

8 posts, read 6,533 times
As far as off-grid and septic systems; it's the expense I want to avoid and want to be more self sufficient.

There are plenty of people living entirely off grid in the US, just not too many in New England that I can tell...except some folks in Vermont I know of. I'm looking for more of these types of people LOL

I absolutely want a well, mostly because I don't want the hassle of only rain water collection or other source of water. I'd get a hand pump in case of electric outage... for those good ol' New England ice storms that like to hit power lines! I'd like access to electric but have the ability to live just fine without it, if needed.

Back to the toilet situation; it can actually be done, nice & clean, using a plastic bucket and saw dust

(lots of saw dust, LOL) and a lid. You get a bunch of buckets, once full, you just put the top on and let it sit for a long while. When you open it, it's surprisingly not gross and can be used for flower garden, around trees, etc. (Humanure composting)

Maybe too much information...but there ya have it. That's the lifestyle I'm looking for. It is definitely not for everyone.
I do appreciate all the insight from y'all though.

Old 04-05-2023, 11:43 AM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,665,713 times
You can't build a home without a state-approved plan for waste management, and I doubt they'll give an OK for buckets.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:54 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,150 times
Quote:
As far as off-grid and septic systems; it's the expense I want to avoid and want to be more self sufficient.

So the install expense may be something you'll have to suck up. I'm not adequately informed on NH system legalities, but I will say the WMNF is full of outhouse/vault toilets.

I am on another board with a person in an unincorporated CA location who uses an aerator in a two tank system. He basically created his own sewage treatment plant. He uses the gray water for irrigation and flushing toilets. He uses the sludge for fertilizer.

Now I'll say that is likely not legal to install in NH with that intent, but after install almost anything goes outside of the big towns. If you search "DIY Residential Sewage Treatment" you'll find some info.

Me personally, I've used enough holes in the ground. While a bucket would be a luxury, I'll just stick with a traditional system.

Old 04-06-2023, 05:23 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:

There are plenty of people living entirely off grid in the US, just not too many in New England that I can tell...except some folks in Vermont I know of. I'm looking for more of these types of people LOL

I absolutely want a well, mostly because I don't want the hassle of only rain water collection or other source of water. I'd get a hand pump in case of electric outage... for those good ol' New England ice storms that like to hit power lines! I'd like access to electric but have the ability to live just fine without it, if needed.

Back to the toilet situation; it can actually be done, nice & clean, using a plastic bucket and saw dust

(lots of saw dust, LOL) and a lid. You get a bunch of buckets, once full, you just put the top on and let it sit for a long while. When you open it, it's surprisingly not gross and can be used for flower garden, around trees, etc. (Humanure composting)

Maybe too much information...but there ya have it. That's the lifestyle I'm looking for. It is definitely not for everyone.
I do appreciate all the insight from y'all though.
Sure it can be done. If you have a stream running through your property you can use it as your toilet too - that can be done, easy-peasy. But that doesn't mean that's a good idea.

Your stool, even though it comes out of your body, is absolutely loaded with dangerous pathogenic bacteria. If you plan on just dumping your poop in the yard, I'd ask you to think about what you may be doing to local water quality.

Old 04-07-2023, 07:47 AM

432 posts, read 414,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
If you plan on just dumping your poop in the yard, I'd ask you to think about what you may be doing to local water quality.
That's what the Killdozer guy went on his rampage about. Now some think he's a 'hero'

Think I have posted this before to another back-to-the-lander type:
OP : check out D-Acres
I vaguely remember they were doing some composting toilet workshops at some point.

Old 04-07-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Sure it can be done. If you have a stream running through your property you can use it as your toilet too - that can be done, easy-peasy. But that doesn't mean that's a good idea.

Your stool, even though it comes out of your body, is absolutely loaded with dangerous pathogenic bacteria. If you plan on just dumping your poop in the yard, I'd ask you to think about what you may be doing to local water quality.

What I described is very different than using a stream.

The method I described takes a little time but it becomes compost, probably better than an outhouse set up.

I realize it's not going to happen anywhere in New England, just reaching out to essentially confirm what I've already found to be true - must have traditional septic.

Old 04-07-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
So the install expense may be something you'll have to suck up. I'm not adequately informed on NH system legalities, but I will say the WMNF is full of outhouse/vault toilets.

I am on another board with a person in an unincorporated CA location who uses an aerator in a two tank system. He basically created his own sewage treatment plant. He uses the gray water for irrigation and flushing toilets. He uses the sludge for fertilizer.

Now I'll say that is likely not legal to install in NH with that intent, but after install almost anything goes outside of the big towns. If you search "DIY Residential Sewage Treatment" you'll find some info.

Me personally, I've used enough holes in the ground. While a bucket would be a luxury, I'll just stick with a traditional system.

Everything you ever wanted to know (or not) about using a bucket.

In case y'all are picturing a smelly ol'shack in the woods. LOL

Doug & Stacy Off-Grid
Best Composting Toilet System Ever (Not for everyone, obviously!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blX2ss5Fe2I

It doesn't stink...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcYoJu8aYYM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire