Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times

Advertisements

No, not a euphemism...

I've been learning all sorts of things about septic tanks now, and I feel better since I looked at my detergent (and Clorox2) and they both say 'septic ok' - which makes sense because otherwise why would the stores up there carry the regular laundry stuff if no one could buy it... so next to learn is about composting.

We didn't do that sort of thing when I was still at home. So here is partly where I'm confused: I swear I've seen my parents toss chicken bones and beef gristle and banana peels into the compost pot (of course, my mom also has a garbage disposal which was said to be a 'bad thing'). Some friends down here in MD have started composting and they said to never put meat bits into the compost because they don't biodegrade properly? and also that banana peels are very difficult to get to biodegrade.

So... Can someone maybe tell me all about the care and feeding of a compost pile/bin/whatever??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 11:44 PM

452 posts, read 1,733,513 times
I've never placed meat products into a compost pile or bin either because I though there would have been problems. So, seeing that you asked, I checked it out and this is what I found on the net. Hope it helps you out.

How to Make Compost, a Composting Guide

Old 06-06-2008, 04:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
You should remove the meat from the compost because if you leave it in the neighborhood raccoons, dogs and bears will remove it for you. Meat also stinks while it decomposes and the bones can last nearly forever.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 06-06-2008, 07:22 AM

wow. Thanks! I somehow thought you could just have a pile somewhere at the far end of the yard and toss things on it - occasionally turning it.

so... what if all we have is kitchen scraps? I don't see us ever raking grass clippings (we don't know, I don't see that changing).

Old 06-06-2008, 08:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
You can compost any vegatative material including grass clippings and leaves.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
You can compost any vegatative material including grass clippings and leaves.
Ok, cause the composting guide jthibedeau linked indicated that you should have much more lawn/leaf matter than kitchen scraps. Now, if we clear a big lawn then we'll probably have to get a riding mower which may bag the stuff and then we'd have clippings to add. But we like to keep as much as we can (and still allow for some variety of solar - passive isn't happening, we'll be facing the wrong way) so I have no clue.

Is it really better to have a fancy plastic barrel vs a pile? is it just a case of keeping out critters or does it actually make a difference?

Old 06-09-2008, 05:02 PM

909 posts, read 3,363,413 times
So does this mean all meat products go into the trash as usual? Only veggie stuff, period? What about kitchen scraps, like cooked rice grains?

Old 06-09-2008, 05:54 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,875 times
Most fancy plastic barrels accomplish 3 things for you:
1) Look Better
2) Contain Smell Better (even good compost does smell a little)
3) Allow you to turn it easier (just rotate the barrel a few times)

Cooked rice grains would be fine...they really are just plant parts anyway.

No meat, you *can* put meat in; but it stinks/attracts critters.

Also be easy with how many grass clippings or leaves you put into compost- they can take up and really halt the composting process of there are TOO many put in.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:16 PM

oh! ok, thanks, BF. Well, it's sounding a little easier to do.

I've heard banana peels and eggshells are tough to biodegrade and not necessarily a good idea to add. Anyone else have experience with them?

Old 06-09-2008, 10:39 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
It's kind of interesting that composting has become something that has to be "worked at". I can remember my grandparents composting, it consisted of fruit and veggie scraps 4 seasons a year, fallen maple leaves, twigs, dried out blackberry canes and the like. Egg shells, watermelon rinds (cut up tiny) and coffee grounds as well. The black soil that came out from the bottom of that pile every spring was amazing--the stuff that mud pie dreams are made of. I learned not to be afraid of earthworms, and BTW it was never referred to as "compost" back then.

That said, Wanna, you can use both in the compost heap. They do take quite awhile to decompose, so I chop the banana peel into small bits, and you'll want to crush the eggshells rather than leave them whole. I don't compost eggshells because they're so useful in the garden once they're dried and crushed (not powdered). Leave them with sharp edges to discourage slugs and cutworms in the garden. Work them into the ground amongst the tomato and pepper plants--the calcium is good for the plant! I like the look of the white shell mixed in with the garden soil (most potting soil contains perlite or vermiculite, eggshell looks similar) Anyway I've noticed definite improvement with slugs and other garden pests. Coffee grounds are another thing that I put directly into the soil rather than compost. The nutrients will help your soil, so save yourself a step
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire