Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:44 PM

18 posts, read 219,413 times

Advertisements

Personally I do not like claremont for shopping or eating out. It is not very diverse, classy or progressive. This is just my impression of Clarmeont. I live in Keene which is an hour south and find it much better than Claremont in most respects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:27 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,535,732 times
I love Keene as well, but it's hardly an easy commute to Dartmouth.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:29 AM

39 posts, read 147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Bear in mind that Claremont is a solid 40 minutes each way from Dartmouth, and that's in good weather. In the winter, that's easily and hour each way.

Just something to think about.
Believe me, we're thinking about the winter commute no matter where we end up living!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,007,939 times
If you have a job at Dartmouth, you can find something a little closer than Claremont.

I suggest you try outside Hanover or over here in VT. There are some nice houses in Norwich and the school district is the same as Hanover.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:44 AM

39 posts, read 147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
If you have a job at Dartmouth, you can find something a little closer than Claremont.

I suggest you try outside Hanover or over here in VT. There are some nice houses in Norwich and the school district is the same as Hanover.
The thing is, I really want to be walking distance to a viable town center (with coffee shop, library, cafes, drugstore, banks, grocery, etc.). I don't drive much and I love to walk. (Spouse is the one with job at Dartmouth.)

Since we can't afford Hanover or West Leb within 1 mile or so of Hanover, our other choices are Lebanon near the town square -- and we have seen few houses there that have garages and 2 full baths, a decent lot, and aren't smack next to Rt 89 -- or New London, Claremont, Windsor, possibly White River Junction ... Checked out Windsor and WRJ pretty thoroughly and though house prices within walking distance of town are affordable for us, the towns are really too small, don't offer enough (though I love the Tuckerbox, train station, and local bus service in WRJ; and there's a house in Windsor that I really like). I've mentioned our Claremont exploration already here. So, New London is where we're focused now, with two coffee shops, a couple of restaurants, library, green space, the college all close to the houses we're looking at, and grocery not too far away. Still open to other ideas, though.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:42 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,535,732 times
We've lived in Windsor for 10 years and really like it here. Very easy commute up 91 even in winter.

Houses are affordable as well. Taxes aren't bad, schools are average.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:06 PM

4,476 posts, read 6,727,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwm View Post
The thing is, I really want to be walking distance to a viable town center (with coffee shop, library, cafes, drugstore, banks, grocery, etc.). I don't drive much and I love to walk. (Spouse is the one with job at Dartmouth.)

Since we can't afford Hanover or West Leb within 1 mile or so of Hanover, our other choices are Lebanon near the town square -- and we have seen few houses there that have garages and 2 full baths, a decent lot, and aren't smack next to Rt 89 -- or New London, Claremont, Windsor, possibly White River Junction ... Checked out Windsor and WRJ pretty thoroughly and though house prices within walking distance of town are affordable for us, the towns are really too small, don't offer enough (though I love the Tuckerbox, train station, and local bus service in WRJ; and there's a house in Windsor that I really like). I've mentioned our Claremont exploration already here. So, New London is where we're focused now, with two coffee shops, a couple of restaurants, library, green space, the college all close to the houses we're looking at, and grocery not too far away. Still open to other ideas, though.
New London is a very nice town. The college brings life to the small center and there are always a number of activity-oriented people out and about.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:19 AM

37 posts, read 51,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celchlepp View Post
Hey all, I have a question for ya about the town and area of Claremont, NH. (sorry about lack of proper grammer, but need to hurry up and type here). is the town and area depressed economically? we just moved to bennington, vt from bozeman, mt expecting to arrive in a respectable new england town, but very much to our sad surprise, bennington has proved itself to be a welfare driven town. it's residents are not only "low rent" types of people, they are downright rude and disgusting. we have possible work potential in claremont, nh, but don't want to move to another dumping ground for derelicts kind of place. I just read in the above posts that it is likely not a particularly gleaming area.

I'll get to read and post any more in the next few days, but for now I have to close up here.

Any helpful info will be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Chuck
I dont know how anyone can live in such a town like Claremont NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire