Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 02:32 PM

13 posts, read 28,336 times

Advertisements

AI know there is a post on this page about a move to NH from FL but my situation is a bit different. I am 24/f and I have been born and raised in the sunshine state my entire life. My reasons for wanting to move does not include fearing our plethora of insect species or venemous snakes. Actually, herpetology fascinates me. I love the water and fishing, hunting, riding horses, really most anything outdoors. I am attracted to NH because it is very outdoor oriented, and I can't think of any better slogan to live by than "Live free or die". FL is crowded with rich old retirees, illegals, and the rest of us peasants that make life comfortable for aforementioned retirees. Ultimately I would love to live in the country, the more acreage the better (at least five acres) but if I could live somewhere with less land and more job opportunities while maintaining an outdoor charisma, I am all for it. I do not like living right next to people but I am friendly and enjoy some sort of social life. I do however hate large cities and terrible traffic, small town is fine by me. I do not have a career job but am aspiring to become a large animal vet assistant. I have no aspirations for great wealth but would like to one day comfortably own my own home and have a horse or two. I understand its cold, but have no real experience. Any words of wisdom? Warnings? Area suggestions? Any advice welcome, and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 03:17 PM

17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
From what I have seen living in NH isn't any cheaper than Florida.......

Old 11-14-2013, 12:57 PM

37 posts, read 77,992 times
Cold is subjective, it was a high of 35 here yesterday, and I was fine working in a sweatshirt. I talked to my brother (near Tampa) and his wife was freezing at about 54 degrees. Depending on where you are in FL, you have had a minor introduction to cooler temps. We had a few snow flakes in the air last week, but rarely do we get much in the way of snow until December. You dress for it, and have to heat your home, but you rarely have to worry about air conditioning in the Summer.
The greatest difference between when I lived in FL (near Tampa for 15 years) and where I live now (small town Northwest of Concord) is that the conveniences you may take for granted in FL (24 hour stores, restaurants etc) are few and far between in NH, unless you are in Manchester or Nashua. In most of the smaller cities, and all of the towns near me, most everything closes about 9 or 10. So if you want a pizza at 11 pm on Friday night, you either have a really long drive, or make it yourself at home. The Southern part of the state and the seacoast are more urban than the North and West, but have more jobs and a slightly higher cost of living.
If you are somewhat self-sufficient, enjoy a simpler lifestyle, and don't mind the cold for a few months, NH may be a good fit. Not sure about veterinary jobs, but there are a lot of horses, cows, and other "large" animals in my area, and my vet always seems busy. There are always seasonal jobs to be had in the hospitality and service industries. It all depends on what you want to do, and how hard you want to pursue it.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:27 PM

13 posts, read 28,336 times
Thank you for your response. I have been to Missouri deer hunting and the temps were in the 40s to 30s and I found it more bearable than technically warmer temps in FL because it was so much drier there than here. I am not sure if this compares to the weather in NH but it was something different than where I'mfrom. I live in a relative small town now, everything closes at 9 except for bars and Wal Mart... Oh and Dennys, but let's face it that's only a place to go to when you're schnockered and its the only restaurant open. I do not subscribe to any sort of cable or satellite service, and use the internet on my cell phone... Ultimately self sufficiency is my goal. "Living green" is a big interest of mine. I am a "real" "Floridian" of which we are more fondly dubbed "crackers". I am not a pampered transient living in a big city which is what you think of when people say they live in FL. I received a largely negative review from a member on the forums of whom was from FL and moved to NH, crying about lack of entertainment, perpetual winter, and hotter summer's than we have here. Touting $600 monthly utility bills, never able to go anywhere because of aforementioned winter, and $400 car registration. I will gladly pay $400 a year to drive my car if it means insurance isn't required, as that costs me far more. I have no input on projected utilities, however I do understand there would not be a break in comparison as far as cost of living is concerned. What is pay like typically? Also, I have more than sufficient experience in the service industry, so that availability is good to know. Mostly I just want a place I can enjoy the outdoors, have land, some livestock, and a few good friends to have a beer with. Maybe a job that allows these things that I can stand and possibly put some of it away. Who knows!!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:51 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicjade View Post
I am 24/f.

I do not have a career job but am aspiring to become a large animal vet assistant.
My advice is to look into your schooling options first for becoming a veterinary assistant. Find the program that best fits your needs and budget, get the degree, then save your money and move to NH.

You don't want to make a move up to NH where you don't have any family or friends for support. And you don't want to get trapped at a job where you are living week to week and unable to attain your career goals.

NH is probably a good fit for you in the future.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:44 AM

37 posts, read 77,992 times
Quote:
Thank you for your response. I have been to Missouri deer hunting and the temps were in the 40s to 30s and I found it more bearable than technically warmer temps in FL because it was so much drier there than here. I am not sure if this compares to the weather in NH but it was something different than where I'mfrom. I live in a relative small town now, everything closes at 9 except for bars and Wal Mart... Oh and Dennys, but let's face it that's only a place to go to when you're schnockered and its the only restaurant open. I do not subscribe to any sort of cable or satellite service, and use the internet on my cell phone... Ultimately self sufficiency is my goal. "Living green" is a big interest of mine. I am a "real" "Floridian" of which we are more fondly dubbed "crackers". I am not a pampered transient living in a big city which is what you think of when people say they live in FL. I received a largely negative review from a member on the forums of whom was from FL and moved to NH, crying about lack of entertainment, perpetual winter, and hotter summer's than we have here. Touting $600 monthly utility bills, never able to go anywhere because of aforementioned winter, and $400 car registration. I will gladly pay $400 a year to drive my car if it means insurance isn't required, as that costs me far more. I have no input on projected utilities, however I do understand there would not be a break in comparison as far as cost of living is concerned. What is pay like typically? Also, I have more than sufficient experience in the service industry, so that availability is good to know. Mostly I just want a place I can enjoy the outdoors, have land, some livestock, and a few good friends to have a beer with. Maybe a job that allows these things that I can stand and possibly put some of it away. Who knows!!
Sounds like you have been listening to Sweetbottoms (?) I have seen several of her posts on here and I don't concur with most of her thoughts. Everybody says she slams wherever she is at.

Entertainment is what you make of it, I am not a big club person, so having a dinner out, or a few beers at a local pub, or getting together with friends is all I need or want. I have never seen a "perpetual Winter" I am north of Concord and my grass is more or less still green. Last Summer had a few hot weeks, but it doesn't really last, plus it generally cools off at night. It has been at or below freezing here some nights lately, but my woodstove has been keeping the house warm. My house is fairly large, my electric bill was just over $100.00 last month. Car registrations vary, I think that my Jeep was around $200.00, but don't remember exactly. You are correct that insurance isn't required, but if you drive out of state, it is, and it's very cheap for liability, so I would recommend at least that.

Not sure what various jobs pay, I'm sure others on here can help on that. An advantage is that you can fly Southwest Tampa - Manchester fairly cheap if you book it right, it may behoove you to fly up for a few days to have a look around.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:54 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Come up to NH say in February to check it out and see how you like real cold and gray days.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:24 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Come up to NH say in February to check it out and see how you like real cold and gray days.
Honestly I think this time of year is worse then february. At least in february you have more hours of daylight and typically snow on the ground to brighten things up and provide you with winter activities.

November and December are the worst, typically no snow on the ground. dark at 4:30, cold and everything is dead... No activities to do outside unless your a hunter.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:50 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Quote:
So you're gonna drive your car, in snow you've never seen or driven in with no insurance.. The people of NH will thank you for that no doubt.

Don't believe me or what I paid *btw you exaggerated on some of the numbers I gave you*. Maybe its cheaper now, gas was almost $5 a gallon when I was living there so between heating the house and the stove and water yah it was $400 a month. My neighbors in Fla from Petersborough NH told us last night they spend around $4,000 in heating last winter. I don't even spend that to cool my house the entire year in Fla. Believe me if I could pull up my PSNH account I would as everyone seems to think I'm lying however it only goes back 18 months.
.. Also you might want that insurance cause every year you're probably gonna need an alignment from all the pot holes the plow trucks make.
What outdoors are you going to enjoy in Feb in -20 degrees? Especially someone coming from Fla who can not fathom the cold that NH has. You spenT a few days in 30-40 degrees? You're highs won't even reach half of that most days, then factor in windchill. Thats for months. We don't even hardly see their Autumn highs in winter here in Fla let alone their winter highs.
Remember these people (and I'm not bashin them) who say it isn't that cold have lived there (most) for their entire lives or in some other state with cold. Go to the Fla forum and whats one of the #1 complaints of people looking to move to Fla from the NE.. Its too expensive and its too cold. Millions of people moving down vs. up.. Same goes with all the northerners who move to Miami and leave 6 months later because they couldn't fathom how hot and muggy it got.

Minibrings has it right. Go visit in Jan or Feb or March and see if you're gonna be stoked to go shovel out your picnic table from 3 ft of snow and sit at it for 20 mins. Sounds to me like you need Vermont if you want to be THAT self sufficient. The people of NH are wise enough to at least have several Walmarts and a Target for needs. If you're looking at living off the land Vermont is you're place.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 11-15-2013 at 08:06 AM..

Old 11-15-2013, 08:05 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,238 times
Its -20 maybe one or two NIGHTS in the middle of february in southern NH.... in fact the average high for concord in february is 35 and the average low is 14...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
So you're gonna drive your car, in snow you've never seen or driven in with no insurance.. The people of NH will thank you for that no doubt.

Don't believe me or what I paid *btw you exaggerated on some of the numbers I gave you*. Maybe its cheaper now, gas was almost $5 a gallon when I was living there so between heating the house and they stove and water yah it was $400 a month. My neighbors in Fla from Petersborough NH told us last night they spend around $3,500 in heating last winter. I don't even spend that to cool my house the entire year in Fla. Believe me if I could pull up my PSNH account I would as everyone seems to think I'm lying however it only goes back 18 months.
.. Also you might want that insurance cause every year you're probably gonna need an alignment from all the pot holes the plow trucks make.
What outdoors are you going to enjoy in Feb in -20 degrees? Especially someone coming from Fla who can not fathom the cold that NH has. You spend a few days in 30-40 degrees? You're highs won't even reach half of that most days, then factor in windchill Remember these people who say it isn't that cold have lived there (most) for their entire lives or in some other state with cold. Go to the Fla forum and whats one of the #1 complaints of people looking to move to Fla from the NE.. Its too expensive and its too cold. Millions of people moving down vs. up.. hmmmmm

Minibrings has it right. Go visit then and see if you're gonna be stoked to go shovel out your picnic table from 3 ft of snow and sit at it for 20 mins. Sounds to me like you need Vermont if you want to be THAT self sufficient. The people of NH are wise enough to at least have several Walmarts and a Target for needs. If you're looking at living off the land Vermont is you're place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire