Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2007, 05:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,666 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are looking to find a nice town in NH once i'm done schooland I just wanted some ideas of a town close to the mountains, lakes and ocean that is also populated and a good place to possibly open a business.
Low taxes and cheap real estate is also a bonus. We were thinking in the Northwood area but i'm not sure if the population is big enough.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 05:56 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,624 times
Northwood and epson have grown alot over the years I think you will have no problem.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:25 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Default re: Moving back to NH in 2 years

"My partner and I are looking to find a nice town in NH once i'm done schooland I just wanted some ideas of a town close to the mountains, lakes and ocean that is also populated and a good place to possibly open a business.
Low taxes and cheap real estate is also a bonus."

Good for you, moving in 2 years! I've got a 7 year wait - but never too soon to start research, planning & dreaming!

A couple of sites that may be of help for you:
<http://www.nh.gov/revenue/municipalities/ms-new.htm> will let you download (rtf) a file that has every town in NH's tax rate for 2006. The Lions Club used to have a really cool gif on their site that showed a map of all the towns, but it's been taken down for some months now (shame, it really was a big help).

What I did when looking for a town, was to start out haunting realestate websites: most of the MLS listings are available to anyone to browse. You pick a county/region and put in the serach particulars that you want and it tells you what's available.

Once I found a town I wanted to check out, you can google on the town name (many have their own websites), and there are a couple of sites that you have tons of general info about each town - you can just change the town name in the url. For example: <http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/htmlprofiles/barrington.html> and if you want to check another town, change 'barrington' to somewhere else. City-Data itself is a great site <//www.city-data.com/city/Barrington-New-Hampshire.html>

Gotta warn you though: there's not much near the ocean that is low taxes and cheap land!

Old 01-13-2007, 07:19 PM

625 posts, read 2,435,895 times
There's cheap and low tax on the seacoast? Where? WHERE???

Old 01-13-2007, 08:51 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
"There's cheap and low tax on the seacoast? Where? WHERE???"

lol! nothing in that county that I could find. Best I found anywhere near was in Barrington where the taxes where only $16.60/1000 - didn't like the land prices though. I have a friend who lives there: she shops a lot in Portsmouth and Rochester I think.

I was hoping for something along the Rt 3 corridor - so apparently was everyone else! prices are horrific. We had to look to the west to find anything. Watch out for Gorham thought: looks like they have the highest taxes at $30 per 1000!

Old 01-13-2007, 09:02 PM

625 posts, read 2,435,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
"There's cheap and low tax on the seacoast? Where? WHERE???"

lol! nothing in that county that I could find. Best I found anywhere near was in Barrington where the taxes where only $16.60/1000 - didn't like the land prices though. I have a friend who lives there: she shops a lot in Portsmouth and Rochester I think.

I was hoping for something along the Rt 3 corridor - so apparently was everyone else! prices are horrific. We had to look to the west to find anything. Watch out for Gorham thought: looks like they have the highest taxes at $30 per 1000!
Yeah, Bow looks pretty pricey to me too. Thank goodness there are still some areas the Bostonites don't want to commute from...heck, Rochester is at the edge of MY commute range (Seabrook).

Old 01-26-2007, 10:53 PM

147 posts, read 268,730 times
Talking Its all good but the rent!

We moved to Portsmouth last year....and it has everything EXCEPT low taxes and cheap real estate. Although...the taxes arent as bad as everyone imagines them being once everything is taken into account. We moved here(from Omaha) and still have a house there...our property tax rate is higher, registration about the same(but a bit higher still), plus state income tax and sales tax. So....taking it into account sorta makes it not so bad. Just the real estate portion is rough...but we have seen things level off since we got here(paying extremely close attention). All in all the location is great...has everything except an airport(gotta go to Logan or Manchester). Weather...people..are great. Community...great. If you have kids in school....schools are supposedly great. We looked around quite a bit...and we have been around quite a bit....so we know what we like and that made this easy even if it is a bit more, its worth it. I cant believe more people arent living here quite frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire