Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 06:37 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

My parents were looking at some older properties on 1-2 acres that are about (20-30 years in age) for retirement in the town of Thornton. However, they are concerned about the level of new development/subdivision they are seeing on the mapping programs. Does anyone have any information about all the development on the eastern end of Millbrook road? The yahoo maps show a LOT of cleared land and new development right on top of or nearly in the National Forest. If anyone has information on this development or the town itself it would be appreciated.
(Yahoo Maps Link showing a large developed or developing area.)
Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic

Last edited by GraniteStater; 06-25-2008 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 09:22 AM

311 posts, read 995,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
My parents were looking at some older properties on 1-2 acres that are about (20-30 years in age) for retirement in the town of Thornton. However, they are concerned about the level of new development/subdivision they are seeing on the mapping programs. Does anyone have any information about all the development on the eastern end of Millbrook road? The yahoo maps show a LOT of cleared land and new development right on top of or nearly in the National Forest. If anyone has information on this development or the town itself it would be appreciated.
(Yahoo Maps Link showing a large developed or developing area.)
Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic
There is a lot of development still going on in the Millbrook area of Thornton, but I'd suggest you direct your question to a local realtor who may know better. But, that said, it's not like it's big, horrible, high-rise condos or anything like that. There are just a number of new house that are still going up.

What, specifically, are your parents looking for? I work in Waterville Valley...just a short drive from Thornton. It's a fabulous place for the active retiree - especially with kids/grandkids that want to visit. There's lots to do year-round. I won't go on and on about it, unless you want to read more! Let me know.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:53 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhampshiregirl View Post
There is a lot of development still going on in the Millbrook area of Thornton, but I'd suggest you direct your question to a local realtor who may know better. But, that said, it's not like it's big, horrible, high-rise condos or anything like that. There are just a number of new house that are still going up.

What, specifically, are your parents looking for? I work in Waterville Valley...just a short drive from Thornton. It's a fabulous place for the active retiree - especially with kids/grandkids that want to visit. There's lots to do year-round. I won't go on and on about it, unless you want to read more! Let me know.

It seems like the Thornton area does allow some residential development close to and inside the National Forest. (An example would be Upper Mad River Road) Someone told me that is because only the wilderness areas of the National Forests do not allow any form of development. They are generally looking for a 3 bedroom 2 bath home with 2000sq/ft or less with a garage on a couple of acres. They do have realtor contacts, but it seems like the market is slow with a lot less in the way of new listings lately. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-26-2008, 06:21 PM

161 posts, read 339,637 times
Thornton is part of the Pemi-Baker Valley region something like 11 towns covered by the local paper Record Enterprise out of Plymouth..Thornton has seen lots of new development...closest place to get something ...Corner of 175 & 49 and then its off to Plymouth for supplies..Campton has a Ace hardware store ...and a brand new DD

Old 06-26-2008, 07:04 PM

Ok I'm confused Moderator please Are folks allowed to respond with advertising their services and telephone number here , just wondering

Old 06-26-2008, 07:40 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelticnomad View Post
Ok I'm confused Moderator please Are folks allowed to respond with advertising their services and telephone number here , just wondering
Hi Kelticnomad,

First off, realtors and any business type person are not allowed to try to solict business, post their website or a link to their website, phone numbers or their email addresses in any post...however, if you choose you want to chat with a realtor, you are more than welcome to, but it has to be behind the scenes, through DMs'. So I guess to answer your question, it has to be done through DMs only. No business can be conducted out in the open.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:43 PM

I don't think it's accurate that residential development is allowed in non-wilderness National Forest. From my experience, ANY use of White Mountain National Forest land (e.g. even for a cross-country ski trail) requires an environmental impact statement and oodles of approvals. I live right off Upper Mad River Road in Thornton. Where are you referring to that's National Forest and residential development has been allowed?

Anyway...as I said, I live in Thornton and love it, but some of the drawbacks are:

No downtown (so you can't walk or easily bike to a store)
Sense of community is somewhat lacking - related to the lack of a downtown and/or central gathering place for the townspeople
Thornton tends to lose its identity a little bit to adjacent Campton, which is where the commercial entities are (grocery, gas stations, restaurants, post office)
Recent development has been a little inconsistent (lots of modular homes popped up and weren't sited appropriately for the land conditions IMHO)

BTW, I'm not sure Town & Forest's comment, "There are sections of Mill Brook that are part of an association, nothing formal ..." is accurate. I know of property owners in the Mill Brook Association who have battled the association/their neighbors related to usage of their own land (livestock, etc.)

Old 06-26-2008, 08:22 PM

Well Suzet, thats what I thought read TOS it makes absolute senses what you said,.... I just saw something as I was reading...that was doing just that a realtor posting info...must have been another thread I was reading...mm long day for me ty

Old 06-26-2008, 09:18 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelticnomad View Post
Well Suzet, thats what I thought read TOS it makes absolute senses what you said,.... I just saw something as I was reading...that was doing just that a realtor posting info...must have been another thread I was reading...mm long day for me ty

That is what I am here for, and thats why I get paid the big bucks. Haha.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhampshiregirl View Post
I don't think it's accurate that residential development is allowed in non-wilderness National Forest. From my experience, ANY use of White Mountain National Forest land (e.g. even for a cross-country ski trail) requires an environmental impact statement and oodles of approvals. I live right off Upper Mad River Road in Thornton. Where are you referring to that's National Forest and residential development has been allowed?

Anyway...as I said, I live in Thornton and love it, but some of the drawbacks are:

No downtown (so you can't walk or easily bike to a store)
Sense of community is somewhat lacking - related to the lack of a downtown and/or central gathering place for the townspeople
Thornton tends to lose its identity a little bit to adjacent Campton, which is where the commercial entities are (grocery, gas stations, restaurants, post office)
Recent development has been a little inconsistent (lots of modular homes popped up and weren't sited appropriately for the land conditions IMHO)

BTW, I'm not sure Town & Forest's comment, "There are sections of Mill Brook that are part of an association, nothing formal ..." is accurate. I know of property owners in the Mill Brook Association who have battled the association/their neighbors related to usage of their own land (livestock, etc.)
I can't figure out how to edit a post already made...anyway, there's an error in what I wrote above. The Mill Brook comment from Town & Forest was INACCURATE not accurate as I wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire