U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:38 PM

161 posts, read 319,886 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, Ok imagine we just hear the news...Choo Choo Rail Service to Commence from Plymouth Nh to Boston What do you think ? Where would the stops be ? Hypothetically...Plymouth NH next stop ..mm Tilton, Concord, Manchester, Nashua then Boston...What do you think ? How would it affect all of us ? Think Gas ? Think about our dependence on Oil...I humbly await your views...yours Kelty
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 09:36 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,746,467 times
No I would not. First of all they have been talking about rail service for years. It would cost much more than it should because of unions, politicians helping thier buddies out, etc. Maybe we can get the same Einsteins who are building the Big Dig. It would take 5x as long to construct/build/ get ready /whatever needed to be done then they would initially say. I know there are already rail lines in NH however I just don't trust that there would be more and more things "needed". How much open land would be destroyed for this or as an indirect reslut of this? Indirect meaning more homes/commecial . NH is already the fastest growing state in New England. So now Plymouth would be a Boston "suburb"? No I don't think that we need to constuct a train for people moving here just so they can get to work easier.

Why would we put $$ into this when they are have already proposed the widening of 93? That is already a mess in the making. That already is going to add thousands and thousands of new residents with all of their issues-need for schools, hospitals, social services, etc.

Last edited by nicolem; 06-29-2008 at 09:53 AM..

Old 06-29-2008, 05:50 PM

117 posts, read 399,243 times
It would nice to have more bus routes . . .

Old 06-29-2008, 07:05 PM

885 posts, read 2,504,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexicana View Post
It would nice to have more bus routes . . .
Great point.

Simple and effective. Quick to put into operation, low cost for riders, and if engines and capacities are carefully selected - cheap to operate.

BUT - tricky to expand public transport in the state without additional revenue. Even buses will require major investment. New taxes? Raise road usage fees, tolls, registration, etc?

Old 06-30-2008, 06:49 AM

41,478 posts, read 55,419,734 times
I just read a transportation plan for southern NH. It expects a steady increase in ridership in and out of Boston from the district south of Manchester. The plan recommends increased use of “curb side” busses. This plan is being implemented along with the I-93 expansion project. Bus stations are being installed at Exit 2, 4 and 5 south of Manchester. The plan considered a rail alternative using the old right of way parallel to I-93. This was not considered cost effective but the ROW should be preserved to allow the future installation of rail-based transport. A rail connection exists from Manchester to Boston through Lowell. Developing this connection for passenger use would facilitate commuting not only to Boston but to the Lowell area as well.
I can foresee a future where the old roadbeds along the major rivers of NH are redeveloped for freight and passenger trains. There has been discussion of a Boston to Montreal high speed service using the rail lines parallel to I-89 from Concord to White River Jct. and connecting to Canada. All these are possible and might become economical as hydrocarbon fuels become much more expensive. These rail lines would use electricity as a power source.
In any case the objections to development voiced by Nicolem will probably be ignored because real estate and other pro growth political interests are the tail that wags the political dog in NH. Developing this infrastructure using American steel, American labor and American industry would be a desirable use of our resources. Developing civil infrastructure like rail transport using existing ROW is a good use of scarce resources. IMHO being able to get on a train from a Boston suburb to Campton, NH and taking a trolley to Waterville Valley might be a great way to go skiing or a summer vacation.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:44 AM

11 posts, read 105,255 times
Default Commuter trains

There are always plusses and minuses as a result of doing something like this but I think the net effect would be a positive one. Anything that could help relieve the rush hour traffic flow would be good in the sense of pollution reduction, allow the people on the train to do something more productive with their time instead of having to concentrate on driving, and increase the value of the homes in NH as it makes NH more appealing for those commuting down into Mass to work.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:49 PM

3,034 posts, read 8,547,841 times
I would love to see more rail service and have the option to take a train if and when possible.

It's a shame that so many of the rail lines were removed and disbanded.

I have friends that live in NY state and they have the option to take the train into NYC to catch a show and still make the late trains to go home. It would be wonderful if NH could be like that.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:16 PM

215 posts, read 550,619 times
Yeah, I would love to see a commuter rail line from Colebrook to Boston. Yeah right LMAO

Old 06-30-2008, 06:45 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,757,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebrook View Post
Yeah, I would love to see a commuter rail line from Colebrook to Boston. Yeah right LMAO
Well, you can always dream, right?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:09 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,607,718 times
Why were a lot of the rail lines disbanded or removed? I noticed when looking on Amtrak there isnt a whole lot of trains going through the state. I personally would love to travel by train. You dont have to worry about driving in traffic. It is nice to leave the driving to someone else sometimes too. I thought with my anxiety it would be hard to travel on a train, but I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire