Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:11 PM

103 posts, read 317,168 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have so many favorite trails, it's hard to name just one. Mt. Cardigan is a favorite but I also like, Mt Percival and Morgan, Rattlesnake in Rumney, Mt. Israel in Sandwich, Mt. Major, Little and Big Sugarloaf, and many more. Whats your favorites?

Mt. Israel Summit Sandwich Notch, looking NW.
https://txryuw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pLofA65Gi-Dbf-xfMM4IrhPIPcHGnWg4EwnkdYC5-trXuINeRXKkvk4pMLnm8kpVsyP9FAKbbwcoERKaVkzAU_g/PDR_1328.JPG (broken link)

Last edited by MFWIC; 06-30-2008 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 08:24 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,254 times
i love mount chocorua. not the highest peak, but it starts low i believe. great view at the top. also love going swimming in lake chocorua afterwards

i also really like mount washington until you reach the top of tuckermans. having motorcycles and cars at the top and PEOPLE SMOKING really kills it for me

Old 07-01-2008, 04:17 PM

Default I know what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
i love mount chocorua. not the highest peak, but it starts low i believe. great view at the top. also love going swimming in lake chocorua afterwards

i also really like mount washington until you reach the top of tuckermans. having motorcycles and cars at the top and PEOPLE SMOKING really kills it for me
Yea, I try to stay away from those crowds. Never did Chocorua because I always thought it would be to crowded. Maybe I'll give it a try this year.

Also want to do Moosilaukee again. Did a 10 mile hike there last year and it was perfect.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:46 PM

311 posts, read 995,711 times
Have you tried the hiking trails around Waterville Valley? What's really cool is that there are a number of different trailheads (10-12??) all within a 1 mile radius of the center of the village.

I pulled the following information off Waterville Valley ski area's website:

Moderator cut: you need to post the link..no copyright material is allowed to be posted

Last edited by Suzet2262; 07-03-2008 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: copyright

Old 07-01-2008, 05:14 PM

My son and daughter recently hiked The Scaur, which is off Livermore Road via The Kettles Path in Waterville Valley. As my husband says about this hike in particular, "1 hour hike and you get a lot of bang for the buck!"[/quote]
I haven't done any up at Waterville. Although a friend recommended Osceola. I'll check that out on Google Earth tonight. Also: now that someone mention Chocorua, maybe I'll put both of them on my, "hikes for 08 list.
Also want to do a special hike on Mt. Washington this year.
A friend of mine helped rescue two kids up there in the winter of 82 and it was an un-believable story of hardship and rescue. I have the directions to the exact spot where they found the kids held up under a boulder. One lost a leg and hand, another lost a foot and part of hand to frostbite.

Anyway, I've got the story and maps, and it turns out they were only a couple miles from the AMC hut at pinkham notch in an area called the great gulf.

Last edited by Suzet2262; 07-03-2008 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: re-post of an edited post...

Old 07-01-2008, 05:50 PM

117 posts, read 425,136 times
We just hiked the Flume today and it was beautiful. You have to pay to hike, but we don't mind giving a boost to state parks now and then. My 3 year old did the whole 2 mile hike, up and down.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
I hiked Mt Cardigan (I think it was that one) long ago with my girl scout camp! we spent the night in the watch tower on top.

Did you know that the second most climbed mountain in the world is Mt Monadnock?! wow. I did that with girl scouts, too.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:49 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Haven't gone climbing in years, but one of my favorites back in the day was Zealand Falls. There is an AMC hut on the way to the summit, and I still remember that I had the very best bowl of veggie/barley soup of my entire life at that hut. If you've got a couple of days, check your AMC trail guide, and try to do Thoreau Falls and Zenith Falls as a loop. Somewhere along this trail I remember a suspension footbridge, of course I don't remember the trail names, but it made for a nice weekend hike/climb.

For an easy hike (less than 1/2 mile in) and nice pictures, Sabbaday Falls is a nice place to have lunch a little off the beaten path. If you don't want all the crowds at Rocky Gorge, this might be just the place...

Old 07-02-2008, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexicana View Post
We just hiked the Flume today and it was beautiful. You have to pay to hike, but we don't mind giving a boost to state parks now and then. My 3 year old did the whole 2 mile hike, up and down.
3Year old heh. he/she must had had a gret time too. There's a couple other good trails around here for younsters. One is the penisular tril at the Wellington State Park in Bristol on Newfound Lake. It's a mile long loop on level ground that follows the shoreline, and another one is the nature trail at Mt. Cardigan. I like to snowshoe them in the winter.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
I hiked Mt Cardigan (I think it was that one) long ago with my girl scout camp! we spent the night in the watch tower on top.

Did you know that the second most climbed mountain in the world is Mt Monadnock?! wow. I did that with girl scouts, too.
Mt. Cardigan is one of my favorites. It's just about in my back yard and I do it 6-7 times a year. There is a wilderness cabin on top that you can rent overnight called "High Cabin" that is very popular. I actually like Mt. Cardigan better in the winter for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire