Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:06 PM

5 posts, read 10,707 times

Advertisements

Don't know if you are still looking for snows or not. The determining factor is really what how and where you plan on driving. All seasons might be alright if you live in the flat urban se of the state.But like all compromises they are the worst of both worlds. Also if you will need to go out come hell or high water snows are really a must anywhere.Here ,on the backroads of Acworth, anyone with any sense at all uses studded tires.My wife and I both have 2 sets of wheels and tires, it makes the changeover quick and easy. SOmeone said Nokia, I think it's Nokian now, they are good. Blizzack are great (get them from Tire Rack if you cant find them).I've never heard of the green whatevers, so I can't say.I bought cheap WinterForce tires from Tire Rack (16" for my F150) for $76.Cant remember if that was before or after the extra $7 for studs.MAybe gregw has the right idea(except for the all season part ,they really are not very good ever).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 08:34 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,962,441 times
Default All Season Radials or Snow Tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by east2west View Post
In NH, do people use snow tires or just drive with all season radial tires in the winter?
I prefer all season radial tires, as I get better mileage and it does provide a smoother ride. However, as I have two 4 wheel drive vehicles, if you do not have a 4 wheel drive vehicle I would then definitely suggest for winter you have a set of snow tires. Good Luck!

Old 01-15-2008, 08:50 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
I prefer all season radial tires, as I get better mileage and it does provide a smoother ride. However, as I have two 4 wheel drive vehicles, if you do not have a 4 wheel drive vehicle I would then definitely suggest for winter you have a set of snow tires. Good Luck!

4WD is great for getting moving, but remember, its 4 wheel drive it's only an advantage when you are trying to move forward.

Whereas winter tires give you a HUGE difference in stopping and turning which I find way more useful in day to day winter driving.

Best of all would be 4WD (or AWD) with snow tires. Then you have it all.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:01 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Having lived in NH/AK/VT since 1976 I have used all season radials without studs on all my vehicles ranging from my first FWD VW Rabbit to now my F150 and Subaru Forester. They do just fine be it rain, snow, mud, or ice. I personally like using Michellin's which do cost more, but they really do live up to their ratings for ride, durability, and handling.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I prefer Cooper and Nokian brand tires on my clunkers. 4 snows on an AWD subaru wagon and you can be king of the hills. Watch out for slower, spinning vehicles approaching in your lane! Even on I-93!

Old 01-18-2008, 05:05 PM

9 posts, read 39,077 times
Last year I put Nokian tires on my car. They are expensive, but WORTH it!!!!! After moving back to NH from Los Angeles, I promised myself that no matter what.... I was getting the best tires possible.... As I was terrified of driving in the snow....

It's been the best purchase I've made in a long time!!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:43 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermandrea View Post
Last year I put Nokian tires on my car. They are expensive, but WORTH it!!!!! After moving back to NH from Los Angeles, I promised myself that no matter what.... I was getting the best tires possible.... As I was terrified of driving in the snow....

It's been the best purchase I've made in a long time!!!!
Welcome to the NH Forum mermandrea. Thanks for the advice on the tires. Everyone here seems to have their own opinion on what works best for driving in the snow. I am also scared about driving in the snow.

I see you have moved from So Cali to NH. There are a few threads going here where if you want, you can share you experiences with us on them. There are some great people on here that have moved to NH from So Cali and those of us who are planning that move. Also great people that have moved from other states to NH also. I didnt want to leave them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire