Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times

Advertisements

My in laws moved from northern CA, Mill Valley area, a few years ago, to live North of the Notch. They are both operating consultant firms out of their remodeled farmhouse. I would think an electrical engineer could find work (especially temporary/consulting) in southern NH/northern mass without any difficulty. I live in southern NH on less than your proposed retirement. Money is tight but life isn’t bad. I work in Boston.

I suggest a longish vacation to the area and PM any of us natives if you want a tour guide. Oh, Stress is not worth money and you will not live forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 05:55 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Thanks everyone. I agree - you just never know how much time you have. Yes, BF he's a Fed (one of 'those' around here ). Unfortunately I believe he's been feeling like it's a 'job' for a while now. He's kinda bored. He used to love it. He still loves engineering, but... work is just not challenging him much these days. And he hates MD.

Hanscomb? I don't know that one. I'm familiar with Pease - unfortunately living in NI puts a lot of things a bit farther away for a reasonable commute Manchester could be doable, though maybe not on a daily basis. I know Nashua is doable, but it's kinda rough - it's apparently why we moved to Hollis in the first place since my dad worked for Sanders! Is BAE using the old Sanders buildings? I heard that's what Sanders has turned into.

Ok, so those of you who have gotten into consulting (or know people who have).. how do you get your name out there to get consulting work? He's a bit introverted, I'm not sure how good he's going to be at marketing himself, and I see that as the biggest issue. And the only people he knows up there are my family which won't help it a bit in the job situation.

Yeah, it just doesn't seem like 3K a year (although for maybe 30-40 years.....) is worth sticking in a job/place where you just aren't happy and are only putting in time.

Yes, we do need to sit down and try to figure out an idea of how much we actually spend, and what things would cost (we've still got the land we're paying off.. and if we get the townhouse there's that mortgage and taxes.. and we'll need a building loan... although we can sell our current house at some point.... we've got no other debt at all).

The house will be expensive to build We realize that - although we don't really have a clue yet how much! but, it will be really cheap to maintain, and that will help. Even if we went with oil for heat (which I doubt, but you never know), it can't be that much to heat year round (truly: year round) for only 25 degrees? It just can't be that expensive. So we're not worried about that. Just trying to think of all the incidentals and unexpected stuff. We will still have our health insurance and that will help with the meds (DH takes a handful - I just take a few supplements).

yes, Lisa - I do tend to forget about DW College. Do they have any engineering? not sure. There's got to be something around in the south-westish part of the state!

Thanks for the tourguide offer, Greg; but we can't really afford a lengthy vacation - and I tend to be the tourguide since I grew up there. I've taken him all over, so he's seen a good bit of the state (and our architect lives in Waterville Valley, so we've been up there a couple of times - last time on Christmas Eve!). He's seen it in all seasons, went to MIT for a (fall) semester. But certainly any time I'm up, I'd love to meet up with anyone available!!

I think we're definately leaning towards bugging out early. that would be so nice.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:46 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
If he's federal government- I would just see if he could relocate to Hanscom AFB to finish out his service AND up his "high 3"- they ALWAYS need engineers. MITRE is an option too (Bedford, MA) or BAE (Nashua & Merrimack locations). Since you know where I live I can tell you it takes my wife 35 minutes to get to MITRE and it takes me about 45 to get to Hanscom (that extra 10 is mostly security gate traffic). That said- staying fed is probably still the best bet- but contractor would be EASY to land.

Soldier Systems Center/Natick Army Labs is also an option longer commute...but again only 3 years and they do "real" engineering though so it might actually be fun for him. I think if I got to play with robots and exoskeletons and things I probably wouldn't mind the longer commute...
Potentialy you could "have your cake and eat it too". If you're lucky he could find a position that offers PCS expenses and they would pay for your old homes closing expenses, moving expenses, temporary lodging, and your new homes closing...sweet deal- that's probably in the neighborhood of $50k saved up front.

Anyway...just my 2 cents- but it seems hunting down PCS, a higher top-3, an interesting job, and the extra "time in"...could potentially put you in a pretty awesome financial situation; it would be a challenge to find- but just a thought. I guess in theory it could be- have your cake, eat it too, and get a bag of gold...

Old 07-14-2008, 06:47 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
What about UMASS Lowell? HUGE engineering program and under 20 minutes from Hollis...

Old 07-14-2008, 07:44 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Thanks, BF. If I can get him to come in here and read some of the posts, I'll try to corner him. I'm not sure he really wants to work for someone else though, I think he's getting tired of that - and while he's a fed, he's s civilian (defense) so no actual 'service' to finish up.

I've thought about Lowell... but it would be over an hour for him since he'd be starting in New Ipswich, rather than Hollis. That's the problem with working in Mass (aside from paying their income tax ), everything is on the wrong side from us so the commute would be pretty ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire