U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2007, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 8,217 times

Advertisements

Hi, hubby and I have been talking about moving to NH when the kids are out of hight school. Don't really want to wait until retirement since its too far away. We will be 48 and 53 yrs old so hubby may still be working at his current job (in Billerica) and commuting. We have picked out a few towns after doing lots of research on the web and talking to friends who live in NH. What can you tell me about Hollis, Amherst, Litchfield (I know 2 people who live there already) Hampstead, Atkinson, Plaistow? We won't have to worry about the school system but we just want a quiet, countrylike town to go home to after work. We have been in Billerica, Ma for 14 years and it is changing. They have been building like mad, townhouses, condos, now they want to put in a Home Depot in our little town center and a power plant in North Billerica. It is just getting too noisy, traffic is worse, and I notice a lot more vandalism in the police reports than when I first moved here. There are almost 40,000 residents here and it will only get more crowded. Of course I have a few years to go before the kids graduate but it is nice to dream !! Thanks for any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 07:56 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,372,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britta93 View Post
What can you tell me about Hollis, Amherst, Litchfield (I know 2 people who live there already) Hampstead, Atkinson, Plaistow?
Hollis is where I grew up, where my parents and sister still live, and my ex-sister-in-law works at the high school. It's a nice town as towns go, but very expensive. The tax rates are about $22 last year and the assessments keep going up. My parents constantly complain about the mansions that keep getting built by the developers, making the values go up so that the people that have lived there for 50 years can't afford it any more. The people are pretty nice, it's got a few amenities, and it's only 1/2 hour from Nashua and Rt 3. Used to be a few dairy farms, mostly it's orchard country -there are 3 orchards companies (not just the fields) based there: Hardy's, Lull's, and I never knew the name of the 3rd out towards Milford.

One set of grandparents used to live in Amherst. It was nice, but even back 30 years ago was considered fairly expensive - compared to Hollis and Milford! It seems to be growing a bit lately (well, within the last 15 years?) and getting a bit of business development there along 101A. But I don't know much about it recently.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:37 PM

20 posts, read 50,601 times
I grew up in New Hampshire and am familiar with two of these towns, Hollis and Litchfield.

Hollis is very expensive. Lots of big houses and nice neighborhoods. It is close enough to Nashua and the Mass border, so you will be in close proximity to shopping and activities.

Litchfield is a lot more country-ish. It is less populated and houses are more spread apart. There is not much to do in the area.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:52 PM

7 posts, read 43,187 times
My dad lives in Plaistow. If you want to escape MA, Plaistow is not the best bet. Atkinson is the next town over and it's lovely, but expensive. Derry is decent and affordable and Londonderry is wonderful, but very, very expensive.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!

Old 10-27-2008, 07:03 AM

4 posts, read 10,918 times
Default Information at Your Fingertips, Hope this helps...

Hi! The very best place for town information is the state’s community profile link because every town has a consistent three page format. NH Community Profiles (http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/communpro.htm - broken link) From that profile you can get the town’s website (often almost impossible to find otherwise) and the school district information (often with a link). The Lakes Region is popular for those who do not mind a bit longer commute or have a job in Laconia, Meredith or Plymouth, etc. There are a lot of attractions right there and the mountains (skiing, hiking, etc.) are 15-45 minutes away depending on destination. Gilford is very accessible to services, but will be a bit longer trip to the taller White Mountains and major ski areas, however there is a lot of outdoor recreation right in that area.
There’s something else I would like to point out about your list of towns. Not only are they all over the place geographically, but they cover a wide range of property tax rates. Moultonborough is the lowest ($6.99 per thousand of property value at 100% value) and Ashland is perhaps the highest (over $24 per thousand). Other towns under $10 are Bridgewater, Hebron and Center Harbor. Towns like Meredith and some others in the Lakes Region are under $12. Why does this matter? In a word, affordability. Take a look at this example, a $250,000 home in a town with a $20 tax rate will cost you $5,000 per year. The same home in a town with a rate of $13 will cost you $3,250 per year. That is $1,750 per year less or about $145 per month. Since a mortgage costs you about $6.50 per month per $1,000 borrowed, that means you could afford about $22,000 more house in the lower tax town than in the higher one and have the same monthly payment.
In the Lakes Region the prices of homes and land in the very lowest tax towns (see above) are somewhat higher because of this and in the very high towns (Ashland, Plymouth) the prices are lower. So be sure to keep that in mind in your search. You should also know that some towns have a precinct tax on top of the town rate. This may take more local knowledge if a precinct tax only applies to parts of the town. For example, Hebron and Bridgewater have precinct taxes of about $0.15 per thousand that apply to the entire town to cover the cost of a shared elementary school. Gunstock Acres in Gilford has a precinct tax of $0.25 per thousand for the water system and other services. For a list of tax rates by town and precinct go to 2007 (http://www.revenue.nh.gov/munc_prop/2007.htm - broken link)
Another thing to keep in mind is that most of the homes in many of these towns will be on private sewer systems (septic systems). New Hampshire has had regulations about systems since about 1970 and the size of a septic system is rated on the number of bedrooms according to the regulations. Therefore, if you want a three or four bedroom home you might keep in mind that there are some perfectly good homes that will be listed as two or three bedrooms, but may still meet your needs. Once you have a candidate property in mind, further research can tell you about the system in place. You can go to Subsurface Applicant Query
to query the site and some towns have excellent records.

Best of luck in your search. Chuck

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-27-2008 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: advertising, soliciting not permitted in forums

Old 10-27-2008, 03:37 PM

2,538 posts, read 5,396,908 times
Hollis and Amherst are expensive, mostly due to the school systems which are desirable. If the commute is reasonable, try towns like Wilton or Mont Vernon... More space, less expensive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire