Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 5,799 times

Advertisements

I went to this great new Organic Food store in Hooksett and they had Sherman Milk! I love it comes in fresh and in glass. I can place my order each week and it there for me. I can wait for the egg nog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 11:33 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmchar4 View Post
I went to this great new Organic Food store in Hooksett and they had Sherman Milk! I love it comes in fresh and in glass. I can place my order each week and it there for me. I can wait for the egg nog
Thanks for the Heads Up Kmchar4!!!! WHen you said Egg Nog and Sherman Milk! Oh My! Christmas is already here!

Old 11-19-2008, 05:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
We buy our dairy products in the Londonderry Hannifords.

BTW - Oakhurst Milk (Shaws) claims to not use any growth hormones in the dairy heard.

Due to sugar restrictions I do not drink as much milk as I used to and am restricted to Splenda sweetened Ice Cream. The ice cream is a tribute to the ulcer gods. It keeps them placated and far away.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:21 AM

230 posts, read 875,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sainsworth View Post
I grew up in the Upper Connecticut Valley in New Hampshire. One of my lingering memories of childhood is drinking ice cold chocolate milk from half pint glass bottles. This would be in the fifties and early sixties. The milk of course was from the Connecticut Valley Dairy on Main St. in Lancaster.
There was a true dairy bar as well, any dairy product available then (hmmm was yogurt invented then, lol) cash and carry. Milk always in glass bottles, ice cream in metal rimmed waxed cardboard containers....... It was one of the centers of the universe, well that and the Merrimack Farmers Exchange, which was in rock throwing distance from the dairy. Oh yeah, can't forget the home delivery of Cushmans Bread.
There were no additives, preservatives, growth hormone's etc in the milk and bread then, just pure whole milk and freshly baked/delivered bread, which of course had to be used in a few days....because there were no preservatives.
Hmmm think I'll go make some chocolate milk.
I grew up on one of the dariy farms that supplied the Connecticut Valley Dairy! It's funny that nowadays we pay more for "organic" food. When I was growing up, everything was organic! But the products from the local smaller farms tend to cost more because the overhead is so high, I guess. I can remember how much it cost for the equipment that was needed on the farm, how hard everyone had to work, and how small the financial return was. Our cows were fed hay and grain grown in our own fields. The only additives to their feed were the molasses we added to the dry hay in the wintertime. Times have changed!

Last edited by Asta; 11-20-2008 at 10:31 AM..

Old 11-20-2008, 02:49 PM

100 posts, read 206,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
One of New Hampshire's best features are the CO-OP and Dairy Stores, as New Hampshire has many wonderful dairy Farms throughout the state but most of them are around the the Connecticut River Valley on the western side and along the Merrimack River Valley in the center of the state.

I know many people today including me, do not drink as much whole milk and use as many dairy products as we did when we were growing up during the 50's and 60's. I personally love a very cold glass of whole milk! But my cholesterol seems to like it as well! In fact if I just drink one 8 oz glass if whole milk I would probably gain 2 pounds! Figure That!

But my question is or statement has to do with these great Dairy stores and the CO-Op Food Stores which Show Case our great New Hampshire Dair Industry as well as 4H program advertisements. I do know that Nashua has a great dairy store.

Does anyone know of others which they personally patronize? Valerie? Do you know of any?

There isn't any particular Dairy I subscribe to in my area, but I do a lot of bartering with the local produce farm. My most recent purchases involved trading hams for vegetables and an antique dresser for my daughter. A few years back I traded a pig for a volvo. The Volvo was in my yard maybe 4 hours when someone came and bought it for $500.00....so I bought an Oldsmobile....

Bartering is making a huge comeback.... which I am especially greatful for!

As for milk - I prefer to practice moderation as opposed to quality. I have to have whole milk, with ice...

Old 11-20-2008, 04:57 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanWoman1964 View Post
A few years back I traded a pig for a volvo. The Volvo was in my yard maybe 4 hours when someone came and bought it for $500.00....so I bought an Oldsmobile....

As for milk - I prefer to practice moderation as opposed to quality. I have to have whole milk, with ice...
Hi American Woman!

I personally think the Pig could trade for a lot more today, as more and more people are trying to become sustainable due to the dire economic times

If I drink Milk, I can only drink ice cold "Whole Milk" as you like! If I do not get my usual double espresso I will usually treat myself to a 1 pump vanilla late with whole milk! Can't stand that low fat milk! But this is strange, if I ever eat breakfast dry cereal I can only have that with skim milk!!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Hi American Woman!

I personally think the Pig could trade for a lot more today, as more and more people are trying to become sustainable due to the dire economic times

If I drink Milk, I can only drink ice cold "Whole Milk" as you like! If I do not get my usual double espresso I will usually treat myself to a 1 pump vanilla late with whole milk! Can't stand that low fat milk! But this is strange, if I ever eat breakfast dry cereal I can only have that with skim milk!!!!

LOL Good Morning CometVoyager!

You may be right about the pigs! I started raising my own meats due to allergies but find it to be quite sustaining. Feeding the eight of us, I breed my pigs and make just enough to cover their feed, any necessities for any of the other livestock, put two in my freezers, and maybe even get a little cash left over. So it works really well for my family. It also allows me to be generous to my neighbors.

I heat by woodstove so I have that bill covered. I am now looking into windmills for our energy useage. I still have a long way to go!

I'm a plain old maxwell house girl! Nothing fancy here! LOL

jaqui

Old 11-21-2008, 08:42 AM

132 posts, read 356,388 times
Love to hear that we will have options for finding good local dairy products. My family made its living by dairy farming in Maine. Anyone heard of Cote dairy products(especially the ice cream)? That is my family!!! Wish they still had the business.

Any good local meat(beef/chicken) suppliers in the area too? I would like to start buying our meat locally without added hormones etc. also.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy, CA View Post
Love to hear that we will have options for finding good local dairy products. My family made its living by dairy farming in Maine. Anyone heard of Cote dairy products(especially the ice cream)? That is my family!!! Wish they still had the business.

Any good local meat(beef/chicken) suppliers in the area too? I would like to start buying our meat locally without added hormones etc. also.
Cindy,

Anytime you are going to be in the area of Fitzwilliam, you just feel free to stop by and pick out a chicken or two! You can have some eggs free (I get far more than I ever use).

jaqui`

Old 11-21-2008, 02:48 PM

132 posts, read 356,388 times
Wow!! Thanks Jaqui- That would be great!!! Such a wonderful thoughtful offer.

Now if I can just remember that in 2012 when we move and I need to find Fitzwilliam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire