Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 06:48 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,899 times

Advertisements

newhampshiregirl...what an excellent post...good advice!!! Thank you and thank you all for the pictures!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 07:53 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Skreen,
for what it's worth, as I remember winter in high school (which was a lot like last year's winter!), it may snow a lot, and be sometimes windy.. but living in MD in the mid-atlantic, I know what you mean about the wind.

See, I thought I moved 'south' trying to get away from winter, yet trying to get not too deep in summer (so I picked Delaware for school and live in MD. they all tell me it's not 'south' here!). What I noticed is that while NH gets more snow and MD gets mostly ice, the wind here seems a lot stronger and cuts through you more than it seemed to up there. I know I walked to and from school in the winter - carrying 1 or 2 guitars! - and even my first winter in DE I thought it was a lot colder. Sure, you'll get some freak cold spells, but somehow it didn't seem as bad as the icy wind here.

'small and quiet' is most of NH - barring the list of cities that JF has posted in other threads. pick a town outside of those cities so you can get to shopping when you need to.

btw, ymilost: gorgeous flowers!

Old 07-20-2008, 12:50 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
ha... hahah..... hahahahaha
dec-march is what the calendar says--has nothing to do with real life in NH. As was mentioned, winter went from November to April last year, with many many snowstorms, and over 100" of snow even in the southernmost parts of the state. So yeah, we can have a long, cold and snowy winter.

HOWEVER...

The year before, we had a couple of heavy killing frosts in late October/early November, then the temps stayed well above freezing through November and December. My then 11 yr old went SWIMMING at Hampton Beach in Mid January, when it was 74 degrees. We finally got some snow and cold, but just goes to show that you never know WHAT winter is going to be like.

NewHampshireGirl had some really good cold weather tips. I want to add another one. If you are going to heat with oil, if you can afford it, try to pre-buy your oil. Sure, every once in awhile, the price of oil will actually go DOWN, but in general it can save you a bundle. We pre-bought our oil for this next heating season at just over $3 a gallon. Will it go up or down? Only time will tell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySkreenName01 View Post
thanks for the great pic everyone . how long would you say winter is? 4 months? (dec-march)
here in nj along the water the winter air goes right through you inland is a bit warmer (not much)
i would like to find somewhere small and quiet. i would like to be in the woods with the critters, but not to far from stores
thanks for all the help

Old 07-20-2008, 12:45 PM

311 posts, read 995,655 times
I thought of a couple more winter tips that help my family get through the winter.

Keep your pantry well stocked with non-perishable food items...not because winter's so dire that you'll starve to death...but, because winter sometimes makes you want to just cocoon and stay inside. I HATE grocery shopping anyway, and in the winter I really avoid the store (unless it's a blizzard and then I go because I know no one else will be there!). This past winter we lost our power for four days and it made life so much easier to have a good stock of canned food to heat up on the woodstove!

Someone gave me this tip and we've found it useful a couple of times during long power outages (rare, but when they happen...man, you just wish you'd been a little more prepared): if you know a blizzard or wind storm is forecasted and you think you may lose power, fill your bathtub up with water. We aren't on town water or sewer, so if we lose power, we don't have water and can't flush the toilet. We use the bathtub water to fill a bucket to flush the loo, for washing dishes, water for the pets -- whatever.

OK...I think that's it for newhampshiregirl's emergency tips! (Can you tell I like to be prepared for anything?)

Old 07-25-2008, 02:08 PM

newhampshiregirl...again thank you!! You have given some extrememly good advice and I too like to be prepared so these post have been very, very, helpful!!!

Thank you also ValerieC and WannaComeHome for your wonderful imput and very helpful advice!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:30 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,076 times
newhampshiregirl, you give some great advice. I too like being prepared. I have one big emergency kit next to the front door, flash lights in every room, plus the ones that go into the walls that light up after you loose power, and I always keep my pantry stocked of canned goods and lots of water. We never know when the Big One will hit.

I know if I moved back east, I would probably be over prepared, as I would be scared of not having whatever it is I think we would need during a storm. With all the good tips I have gotten from all of you I would like to think I will be able to be prepared as much as I could be during a critical situation. So keep the tips, ideas, and advice coming

Old 07-27-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
'small and quiet' is most of NH - barring the list of cities that JF has posted in other threads. pick a town outside of those cities so you can get to shopping when you need to.
Could you tell me where I might find this list please?

Old 07-27-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
newhampshiregirl, you give some great advice. I too like being prepared. I have one big emergency kit next to the front door, flash lights in every room, plus the ones that go into the walls that light up after you loose power, and I always keep my pantry stocked of canned goods and lots of water. We never know when the Big One will hit.

I know if I moved back east, I would probably be over prepared, as I would be scared of not having whatever it is I think we would need during a storm. With all the good tips I have gotten from all of you I would like to think I will be able to be prepared as much as I could be during a critical situation. So keep the tips, ideas, and advice coming
I am exactly the same way suzet!!! I think over prepared is much better than not being prepared enough!!!

Old 07-27-2008, 12:06 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallfanatic View Post
I am exactly the same way suzet!!! I think over prepared is much better than not being prepared enough!!!
Yes it is. You should see what I bring when we go on road trips. Everyone laughs at me, but then some where along the trip, someone will need something I brought. So I just smile to myself. I know my family and know their needs even if they dont

Old 07-27-2008, 12:58 PM

213 posts, read 507,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Yes it is. You should see what I bring when we go on road trips. Everyone laughs at me, but then some where along the trip, someone will need something I brought. So I just smile to myself. I know my family and know their needs even if they dont
I know where you're coming from suzette. I always have a backpack in my car which holds a basic first aid kit, water, energy bars etc. You never know when you have to hoof it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire