Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Hampshire accepts Venezuelan oil, Los Angeles Times, South American communist Hugo Chavez, boycott oil, Citgo stores, 7-11 dropped out of contracts, block cheap heating

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:27 PM

259 posts, read 988,089 times

Advertisements

For years I've boycotted Exxon Mobile not just for the Valdez spill, but more recently they're all giving us the shafting for anything they can extort from us. I won't buy a darned a donut from those creeps.I'd rather walk, and have risked that in the past. controlling whose pockets you're money flows into is the tinnyest thing you can do about regulating putting a stop to the abuse we've suffed at the hands of those creeps.the billions in profits(for exploration, but the profits remainrgardless of exploration. its all lip service to keep the government from doing something material. I say, leave the gas in the underground until they are giving it away!)

Old 07-20-2008, 06:29 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I find it intriguing that a person choosing to live in a state who's motto is "Live Free or Die", advocates doing business with a communist that deprives his citizens of many of their rights.
Hello... CHINA (an actual communist country) makes almost everything you buy. I already restrict my trading with them.

Venezuela I've got not beef with them comparatively. Chavez is strong-arming the constitution and nationalizing oil and other industries. Not good for sure. But having a moron in charge is hardly a reason to hate a whole population. Oh - and my family in Caracas are quite free thank you very much (who emigrated there from England in the 50s to work for AMERICAN big oil).

Last edited by rmcewan; 07-20-2008 at 06:59 AM..

Old 07-20-2008, 07:17 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times
The states do not determine US foreign policy.

The US has not placed trade restrictions on oil from Venezuela.

Why should New Hampshire and its citizens not buy oil from the cheapest source?

PS: Live Free of Die applies to the citizens of New Hampshire. It is not a call to arms for others to live free.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:24 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Quote:
The US has not placed trade restrictions on oil from Venezuela.
yes, that's what I was saying. there aren't any. And certainly people can get their oil from whomever they want or don't want. But it does gall me that we buy a lot, and are put into the bad position of whatever we do we'll look bad, buy a leader who has openly spoken of his disgust and hatred for our country. Perhaps with DH being a federal employee it just rankles more.

And yes ti's true that one shouldn't take out one's feelings for the country's leader on the entire population of that country (boy would WE be in trouble!), however Citgo isn't just owned by a congolmerate of Venezuelan people (like Shell is owned by Dutch), it's owned by the federal government of Venezuela who are openly against our country. Somehow.. for me that makes a difference.

I'm glad to hear your family in Caracas is well.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:24 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
Hello... CHINA (an actual communist country) makes almost everything you buy. I already restrict my trading with them.

Venezuela I've got not beef with them comparatively. Chavez is strong-arming the constitution and nationalizing oil and other industries. Not good for sure. But having a moron in charge is hardly a reason to hate a whole population. Oh - and my family in Caracas are quite free thank you very much (who emigrated there from England in the 50s to work for AMERICAN big oil).
I'm all for not buying Chinese goods. They're all cheap garbage. The problem is that Walmart has put many mom and pop stores out of business, only to be replaced with stores full of Chinese junk.

When it comes to Chavez, and Venezuela, how can you not " have beef " with a dictator that steals privately owned property and business from private ownership for his own governments gain, and for the supposedly common good.

You want to do business with him, fine. That's your decision. Keep supporting the communist third world dictator; it's one of the reason his citizens are in the poverty they are in.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:23 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,962,441 times
Default Have you really thought your opinions out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeehombre View Post
For years I've boycotted Exxon Mobile not just for the Valdez spill, but more recently they're all giving us the shafting for anything they can extort from us. I won't buy a darned a donut from those creeps.I'd rather walk, and have risked that in the past. controlling whose pockets you're money flows into is the tinnyest thing you can do about regulating putting a stop to the abuse we've suffed at the hands of those creeps.the billions in profits(for exploration, but the profits remainrgardless of exploration. its all lip service to keep the government from doing something material. I say, leave the gas in the underground until they are giving it away!)
After reading your post you had me wonder if maybe you were considering changing your name to Castro-hombre or Mao-hombre because it certainly and clearly stated how much you are against Free Enterprise!

Why would you want to boycott Exxon-Mobile? Corporations like Exxon-Mobile are owned and run by the people and they are called shareholders. It is the most democratic way to run a business! They employ hundreds of thousands of Americans giving them the means to raise their families and send their kids through college and you are obsessing over an accident that happened over 30 years ago? Standard Oil of NJ provided the fuel our country desperately needed to defeat the Nazi's during WWII!

So if you are still obsessing about all the wild life this oil spill has killed have you really researched how natural oil seepage does more harm than man made ones? How come I have never seen a post from you stating your boycott of windmill companies. Did you know that the wind farm on Altamont Pass in California has killed more birds of prey than all the oil spills since Valdez? And how many more Oil Spills has there been since Valdez? Has Exxon corporation hastened it due diligence and quality control to avoid future accidents. Have you researched that or are you just joining the herd of sheep and singing along with the Pop Culture Obama Express!

Yes this is a clear example of how we do not take the responsibility or initiative to find out the facts. And yes ultimately this mind set will dilute our freedoms to the point we will all become Mao-hombres!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:59 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
I hear you guys! Being stuck in between the the "Better Red Then Dead" state of Vermount and the "Peoples Republic of Maine" is a difficult challenge. We take that commie oil too. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2008, 11:04 AM

179 posts, read 435,909 times
Quote:
But what people just don't realize is that a president doesn't have as much power as they (or the candidates running for office) think they have. It's congress who makes the laws, passes the slashed budgets, approves spending money we don't have just because someone asked for it.... a president may be able to declare war, but congress has to approve and fund it. And if congress wants to institute sanctions against a country that has openly stated it's hatred of us... they could not accept any oil from Venezuela - but they don't

I totally agree. I think the role of the President is to convince both sides of Congress to work together for the good of the people as opposed to he said/ she said, the democrats are always wrong, the republicans are always wrong, we should pass this bill because this guy will buy me a house, or we should pass this bill because that lobbyist threatened to boycott me in the next election, or we should veto that bill because although it is a good thing to do, it was sponsored by blank whom I hate, blah, blah, blah.

It's all a bunch of crap. I think anyone with a legal degree and comes from money should be banned from political office. Get rid of the political parties who become the Hatfield and McCoys. Why can't we elect regular people who have good ideas and little ego? Why? Because only money gets you noticed... <sigh>

As far as oil.... I think we just need to find alternative fuels so we can cut our ties and interest in countries such as Iraq (why are we paying to rebuild them instead of them using their oil money to rebuild?), Venezuela, Saudi Arabia (who just pretends to be our friend, yet has some of the worst human rights in the world, yet the US finds it ok), and any other country. We need to put our money into our economy and not someone else's. We need to become self-sufficient so we don't panic if Saudi's talk to Iran or lower our values in order to get cheap oil from countries who even hate their own people.

Dependance on oil needs to go away. We have many other natural resources we can use such as solar, wind, geothermal, water, etc. We need to go back to that time where companies gave free rein to pure scientists as opposed to cutting the scientists to get a better bottom line for the stock market.

Some cities are now using methane gas released from dumps to create electricity Methane from landfills seen as a viable, renewable source of energy - Michigan, Great Lakes Environmental & Conservation Issues - MLive.com

The power of trash - The Boston Globe

It's a start. Let's use what we have. Oil won't go away totally, but we need to rely on our own supplies of it and use our other resources to make up the difference.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:11 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
We are lucky to be able to say "we don't want it", but some people are struggling so much they don't have that luxury.

What is unfortunate is that we can't ban its import AND provide for our own people.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:18 AM

281 posts, read 1,185,098 times
We've been importing oil from Venezuela as well as Mexico, Canada, Nigeria and the North Sea for twenty years. There's no refinery that has different cracking towers for each batch that comes from. It's all mixed together and it's all distributed through the same pipelines to tank farms where the trucks load up. Do you think Costco has it's own refinery? Heck no, they get it from Chevron, BP or whoever is closest and has the best deal. It's all the same. Does anyone really think there's some barefoot hippy, treehuggers with the power to tell the oil companies where or where not they can drill? The only reason American oil companies haven't drilled for new oil offshore or other sites in the US is because it's been cheaper to buy it from their partners like the governments of Venezuela and Nigeria. Just keep thinking commie this and the left winger that. That's what they want. In the meantime if China will be pay Exxon more for the oil than used to go to your neighborhood station, that's where it'll go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire