Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Hampshire accepts Venezuelan oil, Los Angeles Times, South American communist Hugo Chavez, boycott oil, Citgo stores, 7-11 dropped out of contracts, block cheap heating

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:44 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,402 times

Advertisements

When I first began this thread my intentions were merely to alert all New Hampshire Citizens about the Hugo Chavez Connection regarding the home heating oil many of us use to warm our homes during the winter. Who would ever expect the thread would turn from a minor dental cavity into a major root canal!

IMHO the state of New Hampshire holds a deep and rich history coated with honor and dignity. In fact, [SIZE=2]of the thirteen original colonies, New Hampshire was the first to declare its independence from England, a full six months before the Declaration of Independence was signed. In other words the state of New Hampshire has always led the way regarding freedom and human rights. It is no wonder why our state motto is "Life Free or Die"

Hugo Chavez and his Thug Government according to Human Rights Watch systematically use the police to execute and terrorize his opposition. Rapes, Torture and mayhem are his modus operandi and Hugo Chavez's friends in the OPEC Oil Cartel follow and use these methods as well to snuff out any possible opposition! [/SIZE]
Chavez's State oil company PDVSA is anything but the peoples Oil Company as the profits only go to Chavez and his cronies. United States Oil companies that have negotiated contracts in good faith with the prior Venezuelan Government are now being breeched and high jacked by this thug Chavez. And by the way, United States Oil Companies like Exxon, Chevron and Cononco Phillips are owned by millions of people from our country. These people are called Shareholders and these Shareholders actively participate in the decision making process, direction and over all operation & management of most USA Oil Companies. So when the few "Usual Suspects" demonize big oil what they are really doing is demonizing all American Shareholders!
[SIZE=2]
These Usual Suspects that live here only breed contempt, arrogance and live with nothing less than an egocentric existence. Or as they would say on the dairy farm, these usual suspects actually believe about themselves that nothing smells and they produce their own lily water!

I would like to see these usual suspects try to write or even voice their opinions, as they do freely here in the USA and on this board, in countries like Venezuela, China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Syria and so on! Their plights would be very predictable!

New Hampshire citizens need to actively lobby their representatives to end our dependency from these thug nations and become energy independent as soon as possible. We also have to diligently review the country of origin for all of our consumer purchases. and make sure we are not enabling nations that enslave and terrorize their people so that a few good thugs can live like kings!
[/SIZE]

Last edited by CometVoyager; 07-24-2008 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-25-2008, 05:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
CometVoyager - You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. We disagree about this situation because I think you really believe the misinformation about our history with Venezuela provided by our corporate thieves and their government toadies. The governments of South and Central America for most of the last century and a half have been creations of corporate America, United Fruit, Standard oil and others, that were carved out of the remains of the Spanish empire after the Spanish American War. We just replaced the Spanish Imperial thugs with American imperial thugs. In any case the people of the region did not have any say in the transition or in the kind of government they received.

Since the 1950’s several of these countries threw of the yoke of American imperialism and started to utilize their own resources for their own benefit. One of these countries, Cuba, is still at the top of our international s*** list because they threw out the American Mob along with the sugar industry. It amounted to a slave revolt and our slavers have never forgiven Castro for his temerity. Chaves of Venezuela also threw out a government that was giving away the resources of the country to American investors that arranged our support for the chosen dictator. The deals the American industrialists had with their own dictator were crooked to begin with and, IMHO at least, the elected Venezuelan government through President Chavez has every right to render them null and void. He could have just confiscated the oil infrastructure but he actually had his country pay the oil companies for their investment. Not as much as they wanted but you don’t always get what you want.

Our military/industrial/lobbyist complex is continuing it’s looting of South America but using different methods. Now we support paramilitary forces (Shining Path in Peru was once on the CIA payroll) and using the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank to continue our financial depredations of countries (bankrupting Chile because of Alliende) and governments that do not suit the standards of out neocon MAMMON WORSHIPING LATTER DAY IMPERIALISTS. Brazil, because of the country’s huge size, resources and nationalistic government has been one of the few that threw out the European colonialists and kept us out as well.

I would normally post a rant of this length on the Politics Forum but you brought up the actions of a neighborly country in a disparaging manner. I believe that the countries of the world need desperately to take control of their own resources and trade, not give away these resources to another neo-colonial exploiter. As exploiter in chief we need to realize that it is less expensive for our people to simply buy the resources (oil) that we require than to attempt to steal it (Iraq). The problem with buying oil is that it is expensive and our domestic oil companies do not reap the profits created at the well but are limited by the demon of actual competition to the profits created during refining and distribution. In addition, if we buy resorces we will not need a Foreign Legion to enforce our theft. Then what would our military contractors do for a living?

I believe the less fortunate people of New Hampshire should buy their heating fuel from Citco of Venezuela and tell their previous suppliers from our domestic oil industry that they cannot afford to buy at monopoly prices.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:26 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,961 times
Prepare to be moderated everybody

Old 07-25-2008, 01:46 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,076 times
Ok, I see that I need to give the reminder that you all need to stay on topic, this thread has nothing to do with 9-11, and to respect other peoples views, even if they dont match your own. Lets see if we can keep this thread open as this is a good discussion. or the thread will be closed, its up to you all...thanks

Old 07-25-2008, 02:25 PM

105 posts, read 208,899 times
Don't you really mean that it's up to you?

Old 07-25-2008, 02:41 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
Don't you really mean that it's up to you?
No. It is up to you. If you all follow the rules then the thread stays, if you dont, then it wont. It is that simple.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Ok, I see that I need to give the reminder that you all need to stay on topic, this thread has nothing to do with 9-11, and to respect other peoples views, even if they dont match your own. Lets see if we can keep this thread open as this is a good discussion. or the thread will be closed, its up to you all...thanks

Ditto on that and very well said Suzette!

This thread is about New Hampshire buying heating oil from Hugo Chavez and has absolutely nothing to do with 911.

Gregw, your points are well taken but I wish you would consider defining what you mean by American Imperialism and how American Corporations are bullying South American Nations? Are you saying New Hampshire Heating Oil is expensive because of American Imperialism and that is why we have to submit to Hugo Chavez?

Show me a South American Nation we have conquered or one that we have annexed and exploited for our own personal gain?

As far as I know the only land we have ever asked for was from the nations we were at war with and it was only was enough land to bury our dead troops.

American Corporations are owned by all of us. We all have the right to attend share holder meeting and vote in or out the Board of Directors. Sure our corporations are not perfect but compared to the rest of the world I believe we are so much more ethical and make a much greater effort to have a transparent due diligence. We could make our corporations more competitive for consumers if our lawmakers would maybe grow a brain one day!

Chevron, Exxon, Kentucky USA Energy, North American Coal and many other American energy corporations employ hundreds of thousands of Americans and thus provide the opportunity for many to earn a good decent salary, pensions, health care and live good productive lives

We all need to try our best to be socially responsible and one way we can do this is to be be careful where we spend our money. If we continue to buy oil from these thug nations then all we are telling the world it that what the founding fathers of our country stood for is now only a mute and insignificant point. In other words, there goes the neighborhood. And I believe that New Hampshire is better than that and can set an example for the rest of our nation.

Therefore I am in the process of converting my heating system to either geothermal and having an anthracite coal stove as a back up or if my property is not suited for geothermal then I will have a 100% Anthracite coal heating system! All of us in New Hampshire should consider this as well!

Old 07-25-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt View Post
See, that's what I don't get. This is an interesting thread, there has been no rancor, no devolvement into name calling, nothing of the sort. Also, looking back through the thread, I could find no references to 9/11, unless you deleted them. At any rate, considering the subject, Venezuela/dependence on foreign oil & problems because of it, I hardly think mention of 9/11 is completely off topic.

It seems more that if the discussion does not agree with your personal politics/feelings, then it is subject to "moderation". I've been reading through some earlier threads, and I noticed a couple of instances of the same sort of thing.

Just a little ironic, considering it's the board for the "Live free or die" state.
jmatt, I know your intentions are good but please lay off on our moderator Suzette, as she is probably the best mod in all of the 50 states! She is a Gem! As far as I am concerned what ever she says goes and is ok with me!

Old 07-25-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
jmatt, I know your intentions are good but please lay off on our moderator Suzette, as she is probably the best mod in all of the 50 states! She is a Gem! As far as I am concerned what ever she says goes and is ok with me!
Second that.
Please stay on topic jmatt.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Are you saying New Hampshire Heating Oil is expensive because of American Imperialism and that is why we have to submit to Hugo Chavez?
Why do you think it is submitting? Who is submitting what? Are we talking about pride?

Quote:
Show me a South American Nation we have conquered or one that we have annexed and exploited for our own personal gain?
You don't think the US exploits other nations for our own gain? Of course we do. Just as other nation exploit us. Heck, trade is exploitation (fair or otherwise).

Quote:
As far as I know the only land we have ever asked for was from the nations we were at war with and it was only was enough land to bury our dead troops.
Texas. California. Alaska (bought). Hawaii. Pueto Rico (war prize territory). A bit of Cuba. Guam. The Philippines for a time. All pretty dodgy acquisitions.

Quote:
American Corporations are owned by all of us.
And the rest of the world too.
Quote:
We all have the right to attend share holder meeting and vote in or out the Board of Directors. Sure our corporations are not perfect but compared to the rest of the world I believe we are so much more ethical and make a much greater effort to have a transparent due diligence. We could make our corporations more competitive for consumers if our lawmakers would maybe grow a brain one day!
They're not OUR corporations. The are - as you say - owned by the shareholders - which are not exclusively US citizens. Those non-domestic shareholders neither hold or owe allegiance to to the country in which the corporation happens to be headquartered. Hence the term Multi-Nationals.

Quote:
We all need to try our best to be socially responsible and one way we can do this is to be be careful where we spend our money. If we continue to buy oil from these thug nations then all we are telling the world it that what the founding fathers of our country stood for is now only a mute and insignificant point. In other words, there goes the neighborhood. And I believe that New Hampshire is better than that and can set an example for the rest of our nation.
As others have asked, what makes Venezuela a thug nation? More so than Russia, Saudi Arabia, etc?

Quote:
Therefore I am in the process of converting my heating system to either geothermal and having an anthracite coal stove as a back up or if my property is not suited for geothermal then I will have a 100% Anthracite coal heating system! All of us in New Hampshire should consider this as well!
I would love geo - but don't have the spare $30K+ to install.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire